X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    ^ are we surprised..... no not really.

Just go to show what happens when you surround yourself with yes people....

Leave a comment:

• Ustauk
    replied
    Kerry's weakness at the poles was foreshadowed by his comparitive lack of campaign contributions.

From Metro News:

Originally posted by Metro News
    Diotte has been silent on his finances in the campaign, but he said he had between one quarter and one fifth of the $600,000 his opponents had, with less than $150,000 for the race.
    As someone else on C2E postulated earlier (can't remember who), he likely held back the list of his campaign contributors to hide how little support he had.

Leave a comment:

• Ustauk
    replied
    Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I think we have a geeky mayor, and that's pretty cool
    Indeed, one of us!

Originally posted by Don Iveson on twitter
    Don Iveson ‏@doniveson
    Got to try to out-eyebrow Karl Urban at @edmontonexpo today. “He’s a Dr, not a politician.”

Leave a comment:

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
    Kerry had a nice little speech going there for a while, until he went on a childish "sour grapes" rant about how voters REALLY agree with him (despite coming in a distant 3rd).

The fact that he didn't shut up after thanking his volunteers and congratulating the election winners, demonstrated what a poor choice of a mayor he would've been. He also admitted that doesn't learn from his mistakes.... when he finished his speech saying he "wouldn't have done it any different".

Good riddance to this rubbish on council - he can now post to his heart's content on twitter at Tim Horton's instead of in council meetings.
    I am sure he will sue people.. that is what he tends to do.

Leave a comment:

• 24karat
    replied
    ctzn-Ed I like your idea. I'm happy that Don Iveson is our new mayor, but Karen was my second choice. Her talents and connections could be of value to our city administration.

Leave a comment:

• ctzn-Ed
    replied
    I would strongly concur that Karen's expertise has to be tapped as mentioned in my view on the mayoral's race. Unfortunately, her persona is weak which led to her failed campaign. Hopefully some sort of portfolio can be created for her. Perhaps develope a position where she can consult Don, and under her umbrella, she can create a consortium to persue business and head office relocation interests to Edmonton. HEAD OFFICE wise, start looking at CN. They have massive interest here already, and their future growth will come from the west. Oil/gas and goods from China via Prince Rupert/Kittima. Edmonton is a perfect logistic and head office location for CN.

Leave a comment:

• EveB
    replied
    That would be a great outcome. I wouldn't have been upset if Karen had won the election because I got the impression that she is skilled. There must be some job she can do where she can use her inside knowledge of the system.

Note I'm not saying the same about Diotte because I didn't get quite the same impression from him.

Eve

Leave a comment:

• Glenco
    replied
    Originally posted by envaneo View Post
    So what becomes of Karen and Kerry now? Do they get pensions?
    In her concessions peach Karen volunteered her services to the new mayor. Hopefully her expertise can be utilized some where.

Leave a comment:

• RichardS
    replied
    Originally posted by glenco View Post
    i am impressed with the council. Some very positive additions with good business background.
    agree

Leave a comment:

• envaneo
    replied
    So what becomes of Karen and Kerry now? Do they get pensions?

Leave a comment:

• EveB
    replied
    I'm hoping you're right, Glenco. My entire uneasiness about this election was whether we could get managers (project, financial, strategic) to actually oversee the implementation of the various visions that are already out there. Arena and environs, Blatchford, and LRT are the main ones I can think of where public money is being used. There are probably lots of others that I don't know about. But if those could be executed on budget and on time (and preferably to spec also), that would be enough to create a lasting legacy. If they do other stuff that's would be cool too, of course.

Eve

Leave a comment:

• Glenco
    replied
    I am impressed with the council. Some very positive additions with good business background.

Leave a comment:

• ctzn-Ed
    replied
    They saw no platforms from Diotte or liebovici. One complaints and the other one keeps trying to convince us she is a leader. Those kinds of campaigs will fail. Don explains how and what he will do through out the campaign. Basically, he gave us answers. When I get answers-good or bad- I know where you are going with it. I don't know why some are shocked with the landslide...

Leave a comment:

• MoneyGuy
    replied
    Thank God Edmontonians saw through Diotte's fakery.

Looking forward to Iveson as mayor. Interesting times.

Leave a comment:

• Ustauk
    replied
    Don's already on the job
    Originally posted by CBC
    Don Iveson spoke with most of his new city council as well as outgoing mayor Stephen Mandel on Tuesday, one day after he won the race to be Edmonton’s next mayor.
    Iveson met with Mandel at his office in city hall. After the two men embraced and shook hands, Mandel hailed his successor as a progressive, creative individual who will move the city forward.

“It’s an exciting time for the city of Edmonton,” Mandel said. “Edmontonians should be very excited a very dynamic, creative, individual is going to lead our city over the next four years.”

Iveson said he spent a good part of his morning fielding calls from the national media, noting that the results of the Edmonton election have caught the country’s attention.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X