Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iveson election puts Edmonton in a good light. Upstanding young man with charisma who is about as far removed from any Eastern stereotypes about Alberta or Edmonton as one can get.

Laugh a minute that Toronto gets a Ford(or edsel) and we get an Iveson.

I'll take it.

People got the vote out.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Congrats Don!
      The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
      It's heaven and hell!

Comment

Originally posted by lobbdogg View Post
        Yeah, Kerry just needs to go away now. I thought with his concession speech that he was going to put his big boy pants on and act like an adult, but apparently he did not realize that he lost...and lost big.

I will say that I am a bit surprised that there is such a large spread between Iveson and Leibovici. I thought they had a lot of similar views on issues, but possibly it was Don's ability to communicate his ideas and vision, that really hooked people.
        AT one point in the campaign, and it wasn't hilited a lot, Leibovici absolutely blew it making the comment that Edmonton was going to be in trouble without her leadership. I forget the words verbatim but it was really odd, really ego based, and the exact type of thing to turn off the electorate.
        Iveson compared to his fellow candidates exuded charm, consistent and real charm. Not photo op pretend. Iveson is what you get. This is who he is as a person and quite likeable. In the end this was an election partly about liking the candidate.
        I think Diotte and Leibovici took some turns self destructing. Iveson just had to stay out of the way and take higher road.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
          Kerry had a nice little speech going there for a while, until he went on a childish "sour grapes" rant about how voters REALLY agree with him (despite coming in a distant 3rd).

The fact that he didn't shut up after thanking his volunteers and congratulating the election winners, demonstrated what a poor choice of a mayor he would've been. He also admitted that doesn't learn from his mistakes.... when he finished his speech saying he "wouldn't have done it any different".

Good riddance to this rubbish on council - he can now post to his heart's content on twitter at Tim Horton's instead of in council meetings.
          Symptomatic of his entire efforts entering, and running in this campaign. Seems as if some of his flaws regularly enough surfaced and perfectly illustrated by his concession speech. Had a minute or two of class going there, then actually stated "this is not the time to analyze" and then somehow in spite of himself got into the post hoc analysis. I'm watching that, and its over anyway, but I'm thinking "what are you doing".

Both Leibovici and Diotte were very ego based in concessions. Leibovici in giving the longest concession speech I've ever seen and Diotte not being able to get out of the way of his own dark side.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
            For Richard S:
            http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/nensh...ters-1.1507385

In Edmonton, three city councillors vied to replace retiring incumbent Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel but Iveson led in the polls throughout the campaign.

The 34-year-old captured the imaginations of many voters with Kennedy-esque pleas for Edmonton to lead on an innovation agenda.
            ...and this proves what exactly...

...that the author has no clue who Kennedy was? What the agenda really was?

...that misplaced hyperbole and unnecessary juxtapositions are in full swing?

...as experience would tell you...just because you won a landslide in a popularity contest where the rest really didn't mount much of a challenge...the key...don't get cocky...

The real test lies ahead...make my vote count Don...
            My hope is that you can finally get rid of the anger in your heart, and fill it with peace, compassion, understanding, and a desire to uplift rather than suppress.

After all, we are all together on this home, this pale blue dot, the "only home we've ever known.”

Comment

Absolutely Richard! I was taught long ago... Getting to the top is easy; staying on top is a different game. As i extoll in the past, he will make mistakes, but i have confidents that he will achieve overall.
              " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

I'm at work getting off at 7pm and as I'm crossing the street at the Matrix hotel heading to Corona station I'm wondering whats going on there tonight! If I knew that was Don Iveson's election HQ I would have stopped in.
                Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

Global's coverage has been far superior, but that poli-sci prof is painful to listen to.
                  Oh, man, did they have David Taras on? Speaking of people who just need to go away...
                  “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Comment

Originally posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
                    Global's coverage has been far superior, but that poli-sci prof is painful to listen to.
                    Oh, man, did they have David Taras on? Speaking of people who just need to go away...
                    No it was some lady with red glasses. Took her ages to stumble through her sentences. I feel sorry for the U of A students who have to sit through her classes.

And yes, CTV did switch to reality TV at 10 PM. FAIL.
                    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

The 'easy' part is done. Now he needs to deliver.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
                        Kerry had a nice little speech going there for a while, until he went on a childish "sour grapes" rant about how voters REALLY agree with him (despite coming in a distant 3rd).

The fact that he didn't shut up after thanking his volunteers and congratulating the election winners, demonstrated what a poor choice of a mayor he would've been. He also admitted that doesn't learn from his mistakes.... when he finished his speech saying he "wouldn't have done it any different".

Good riddance to this rubbish on council - he can now post to his heart's content on twitter at Tim Horton's instead of in council meetings.
                        Yeah, I thought his concession speech was a train wreck. For one thing, he's a very poor public speaker. And yeah, his claims about "setting the agenda" and the voters agreeing with his "4 priorities" were ridiculous considering that the electorate soundly rejected him as a candidate. I don't know how responsible for the speech Diotte was, or if it was mostly written for him by someone else, but it was embarrassing to watch.

Comment

I think the concession speech must have been written by someone else, for Kerry. At least Leibovici has the class to thank her team, and let them shine.
                          "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Maybe it was written by the same volunteers that made the "arena stinks" video for him.
                            They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

I think it was consistent with Kerry's history on council. Having been on the losing side of pretty much every vote, he took his baseball home and ran for Mayor.

The words you're maybe looking for are sore & loser ...
                              ... gobsmacked

Comment

I just can't get over the beatdown Iveson gave his opponents at the ballot. I expected Iveson to win, but not by such a huge margin. I really thought Karen and Diotte had more solid support than that.

Comment

Working...
                                X