X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mnugent
    replied
    We need someone of her expertise to help develop a new funding model for Canadian cities. Yeah she's not a super charismatic politician and not leadership material but she was a very effective councilor. There are many boring, uninspiring MPs with cabinet positions. See: Jim Flaherty.

Leave a comment:

• ctzn-Ed
    replied
    I don't know if i agree with you. Karen does possessed experience, but the way she presented herself at our recent civic election, her experience is more of familiarity of autonomy and not so much leadership ability at the precipice height. That has advantages, but only to a small degree. A comparable analogy would be someome taking the same route around the block so many times, and now they can do it blindfolded; however, if that course is disrupted, they stumble. A star? Not... A poignant advisor of autonomy? Yes... If she failed to convince us that she is the star of the lowest denomination of politics, how can she become a big fish in the sea? She does not possess that kind of charisma. If anything, bring Anne McCelland out of retirement.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 23-10-2013, 10:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mnugent
    replied
    Re: Karen

She could potentially have a lot of value for the city of Edmonton. She has a lot of experience across Canada working with municipalities, she was a former Liberal MLA and arguable the second choice of most Edmonton voters in the municipal election. I think that she could have a future role in politics...

As we're watching the federal Conservatives falling apart right now, this provides a remarkable opportunity for Karen. While she was defeated by a young charismatic leader, another young, charismatic leader could be her best shot at a continued career in politics - Mr. Trudeau. I'd be surprised if she didn't fight for a Liberal nomination for the upcoming federal election. She'd be a star candidate.

An experienced woman from western Canada with a strong following and name recognition ---> Cabinet position.

Leave a comment:

• Blueline
    replied
    ahh

Leave a comment:

• ajs
    replied
    I think he was talking to me.

Leave a comment:

• Blueline
    replied
    Edp
    this was not me being negative
    It was me spreading credible hearsay .......................

Leave a comment:

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    ^ you are too negative...

Redford is going to have to come out strong in both cities......

I am very excited to find out what is in the muni gov't act changes!! They are ready to be tabled say my friends at the GOA.

Leave a comment:

• Blueline
    replied
    old PC dogs yackin over their congacs

Leave a comment:

• ajs
    replied
    ^^Interesting gossip about Griffiths and the leadership review. Any shareable sources?

^Careful. Underestimating Preston Manning is a mug's game.

Leave a comment:

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    Poor Preston manning and his "municipal gov't agenda" is looking less and less relevant.

Leave a comment:

• Blueline
    replied
    Sidebar

Interesting perspective on Doug Griffiths which starts as follow (Quote from Don Braid's Article)
    "Nenshi has been especially harsh toward Municipal Affairs Minister Doug Griffiths, saying he’s stalled the charter and hasn’t done a single thing for Calgary......"

Article continues on in this vein somewhat against Griffiths

BTW Griffiths is rumored to be running against and possiblly superseding our current Premier at the PC meeting and vote in Red Deer next month

Leave a comment:

• ajs
    replied
    Don Braid is hopeful: http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...114/story.html
    I wish I could share in his optimism.

Leave a comment:

• ctzn-Ed
    replied
    Which means she has no answer.

Leave a comment:

• Downtown
    replied
    I was a strong supporter of Karen until she started sitting on the neutrality fence on a several key issues. I saw it as her trying to please as many people as possible.

The main one that had me vote Don was when she was asked about urban sprawl and her answer was "we have to build upwards and outwards".

Leave a comment:

• ctzn-Ed
    replied
    Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
    Kerry's weakness at the poles was foreshadowed by his comparitive lack of campaign contributions.

From Metro News:

Originally posted by Metro News
    Diotte has been silent on his finances in the campaign, but he said he had between one quarter and one fifth of the $600,000 his opponents had, with less than $150,000 for the race.
    As someone else on C2E postulated earlier (can't remember who), he likely held back the list of his campaign contributors to hide how little support he had.
    The lack of donation is so they could save it to pay for the arena.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X