This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton Goals, 2013-17

With Don Iveson elected mayor and six new councillors, Edmonton faces a lot of new challenges. What do you think should be the major goals for the next four years?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

i think they're pretty well articulated here:

http://doniveson.ca

"If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Off the top of my head...

1) Establish stronger regional cooperation
      2) Secure funding for growth of the LRT
      3)Kick-start the development of the City Centre Airport
      4)Use our charismatic mayor as a spokesman to change perceptions of Edmonton in Canada
      5)Work with Calgary to pressure the province download more autonomy to Albertan cities
      Go down a few dark alleys.

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
        i think they're pretty well articulated here:

http://doniveson.ca

With his landslide I guess that assuming he can impose his agenda on all the others might be appropriate.

Comment

The annexation of YEG would make a pretty big splash early on...

Comment

1- Curb urban sprawl by decreasing new subdivision approval and favor DT/inner city/TOD densification
            2- Address infrastructure repairs - some will continue into next term
            3- Decentralize poverty/services - it's an Edmonton issue, not a Ward 6 issue
            4- Continue renewal of mature neighborhoods plans
            5- Secure funding for continued LRT expansion
            6- Monitor debt load - insure it remains within acceptable levels
            7- More EPS street patrols in vulnerable areas trying to revitalize

Comment

Work with regional partners and fix the MGA and work the province to get a permanent funding that the city can bank on long term. No more of this sporadic MSI funding.

Ensure smart growth throughout the region continues.
              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Get to work with Nenshi and Redford on the big city charter.

For that to happen - the mayors will have to take at least some of the heat for the inevitable (small) tax grab. Can't just hang it on Redford.

Regional cooperation - be nice.

I like the suggestion Iveson get out and help change the many misperceptions about good old Big E. He's a natural.
                ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown View Post
                  1- Curb urban sprawl by decreasing new subdivision approval and favor DT/inner city/TOD densification
                  I agree completely with this. On item 1, Iveson has been very clear in the past, I'd like to see him back up his talk with concrete steps to restrict / curb sprawl, the last Council were so pathetic they didn't even achieve part of the modest goals Iveson criticized:

The underlying assumption of the plan is that the city will grow by 400,000 people in the next 30 years. This means 75% of the units will be outside of the core and away from ‘premium transit’ (i.e. LRT or the very best bus service). Furthermore, since we’re assuming that households occupying infill and intensification units have fewer members, 25% of units in the core only comes to 20% of the people (which has been our experience, since families with children still largely flock to the suburbs, vs. the singles and empty nesters who may pick smaller units with better locations). On other words, our plan presumes that 320,000 people will locate on the periphery, near or beyond Anthony Henday Drive.

I find this tough to swallow.
                  http://doniveson.ca/2009/11/14/the-way-we-growsprawl/

I'm hopeful McKeen and Henderson will work together to come up with some concrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                    Originally posted by Downtown View Post
                    I agree completely with this. On item 1, Iveson has been very clear in the past, I'd like to see him back up his talk with concrete steps to restrict / curb sprawl, the last Council were so pathetic they didn't even achieve part of the modest goals Iveson criticized:

The underlying assumption of the plan is that the city will grow by 400,000 people in the next 30 years. This means 75% of the units will be outside of the core and away from ‘premium transit’ (i.e. LRT or the very best bus service). Furthermore, since we’re assuming that households occupying infill and intensification units have fewer members, 25% of units in the core only comes to 20% of the people (which has been our experience, since families with children still largely flock to the suburbs, vs. the singles and empty nesters who may pick smaller units with better locations). On other words, our plan presumes that 320,000 people will locate on the periphery, near or beyond Anthony Henday Drive.

I find this tough to swallow.
                    http://doniveson.ca/2009/11/14/the-way-we-growsprawl/

I'm hopeful McKeen and Henderson will work together to come up with some concrete steps.
                    Yes, I hope they work to solve this issue for the whole region, because sprawl on the outside edge of our borders is just as worse (if not even worse) than sprawl just inside our borders....
                    And if we only 'solve' the problem for Edmonton - the problem just skips passed our borders, we don't collect ANY taxes for it, but yet are burdened by these effects still.
                    Any solution derived needs be reflected region wide. It would be much easier if we were a uni-city like Calgary is (mostly), but the reality is we are the Edmonton region, with 23-26 chefs all mixing in the same soup.
                    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Affordable housing
                      airport
                      arena
                      arts & culture
                      campaign reform
                      capital region
                      community consultation
                      crime
                      economy & small business
                      education & innovation
                      environment
                      epcor
                      parks & recreation
                      road maintenance
                      smarter planning
                      snow removal
                      taxation
                      transit
                      Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

My Top Ten list (in no particular order)

1. new arena - on time, on budget
                        2. LRT expansion
                        3. new regional plan
                        4. attracting/retaining businesses, head offices, startups, etc
                        5. more non-stop international and transborder flights
                        6. roads - maintenance and improvements
                        7. Quarters and Blatchford - with these two potentially great infill neighborhoods, stay the course or better
                        8. "no more crap" needs more than lip service
                        9. better articulation of what this city has to offer to businesses, investors, professionals, tourists, students and artists - stop the brain drain to other cities
                        10. the era of the grumpy old men is dead and buried, let's keep it that way
                        Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 22-10-2013, 02:41 PM.
                        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

potholes

LOL!
                          The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
                          It's heaven and hell!

Comment

Development of a major local music scene - with well known national acts

Citywide LRT, and planning for our first heavy rail line

U of A reaches 80,000 students

City population of 2,000,000

Comment

City population of 2,000,000 by 2017?!

I know I've been seeing a lot of Ontario plates on the road lately... but that's doubling our population and then some in 4 years!

Or maybe you're hopeful Iveson will be in for multiple terms?

Comment

Working...
                              X