This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Race for the Mayor's Chair

Seeing as there isn't currently a generic thread on where to comment on the issues, without starting a new thread every time, I thought that I would create one.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Staples' article regarding the Mayoralty candidates' positions on regional cooperation

Staples: Mayoral candidates want regional co-operation, not warfare

Staples: Mayoral candidates want regional co-operation, not warfare

BY DAVID STAPLES, EDMONTON JOURNAL AUGUST 8, 2013

We do not want to be seen as pirates, says Coun. Kerry Diotte.

We must be diplomatic, says Coun. Don Iveson.

All three councillors running for mayor agree that Edmonton should not try to strong arm anything through when it comes to getting a better deal with our neighbours in the capital region.

Yet all three also agree that there’s a problem here, that something must be done, and that they are just the leader to solve things, even after decades of no or slow progress on fixing the gigantic mess of planning and fiscal mismanagement that our capital region has become. For instance, a new study by municipal tax expert Don Good shows that 13.5 per cent of the capital region’s population, almost all located in rural areas, gets 70 per cent of the industrial taxes generated by pipelines and refineries, $96 million in 2011 alone. Highly populated places like St. Albert, Fort Saskatchewan, Spruce Grove, Devon, Leduc, Morinville, Gibbons, Legal, Stony Plain, Beaumont and Edmonton are left to divide up the remaining $41 million.

To move forward on the regional file, Leibovici, Iveson and Diotte support Edmonton’s plan to annex county land in and around the International Airport. But none of the three want the province to step in and legislate a settlement, even if the Progressive Conservatives did make this mess in the first place. First, the PCs failed to allow Edmonton to annex neighbouring lands and communities in the early 1980s, then disbanded regional provincial planning in the early 1990s. This particular Ralph Klein cut allowed for a messy free-for-all of development, which has seen such notions as Sherwood Park propose building a new sprawling burb of 200,000.

...Continued...
    Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

Coun. Don Iveson will have my vote for Mayor's chair.
      Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

It is interesting how David staples is complaining about the 13.5% of the regions population getting 70% of the industrial tax base and then goes on to apparently disapprove of Sherwood Park's proposal to build a new sprawling burn of 200,000 people. Strathcona County is the one regional government that shares the industrial tax base it has between the rural and urban constituents. Also, Sherwood Park isn't proposing building a new sprawling burb because Sherwood Park does not have a government to do so.

In going to the link provided by ScottieA it is a bit disturbing that the Staples article came up under NEWS instead of OPINION because clearly he is reporting things as fact that are wrong.

Fort Saskatchewan, Spruce Grove, Devon, Leduc, Morinville, Gibbons, Legal, Stony Plain and Beaumont are places that felt they would be better off governing themselves instead of being part of the counties that surround them. They must have felt that there was economic advantage to not be part of these counties and now they cry that they are getting shut out of revenue from those very counties. "The ironing is delicious."

I agree that the idea of having a new 200,000 person community in Strathcona County should not proceed. How is it going to benefit the people who already live in the County?

Reading the article it seems that based on experience this should be a two horse race with the media guy losing out.

Comment

I'm torn between Don Iveson and Karen Liebowici. I think one of them will be the new mayor. I'm looking forward to the debates. Diotte has the "fix the potholes" crowd, but I don't think he'll get pro-business, pro-downtown development, pro-LRT expansion voters
          Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

At this point I'm predicting an Iveson win. He has the youth and stronger social media presence, plus he's been tirelessly been all over the place.

Don shows his humor and nerd cred in this tweet:

Don Iveson ‏@doniveson 5 Aug
            I sport a goatee in that timeline. MT “@leelb: Attn: @davecournoyer more swag from the alternate universe... http://Instagram.com/p/bw5tOTC3hC/
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

^^ saw Don Iveson at the Marc with 2 guys for lunch last week
              Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

I drove down 75st the other day and saw a bunch of Kerry Diotte signs on lawns. Coincidentally, every single home was clearly occupied by folks of the elderly persuasion, evidenced by seeing the owners outside, doily curtains, or pattern furniture in the living room facing a wooden TV.
                "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                  occupied by folks of the elderly persuasion
                  ...and that's the demographic which votes in record numbers, whereas Don's base tends to stay away from the polls...

Comment

Don has my vote! I'm looking forward to this sleepy campaign heating up in September.
                    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                      ...and that's the demographic which votes in record numbers, whereas Don's base tends to stay away from the polls...
                      I think, with no incumbent running for mayor, we might see a higher turnout. Yes, older demographic groups turn out in higher numbers, but I would be interested in seeing the fund-raising revenue in each of the mayoral campaigns.
                      "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Heard Don Iveson has a weak list of solid supporters and at this point isn't looking good. Canvasing for Don is just getting started however, but at this point he needs a lot of work.
                        Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                          Maybe it's because the candidates often camp out in senior's residences. I understand it's hard for them to get working people with lives, but if they don't do everything they can to engage that demographic, they'll stay apathetic.

I've never had a candidate come to my door, and since my Kim is retiring, I'd really like them too.
                          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by 24karat View Post
                            I'm torn between Don Iveson and Karen Liebowici. I think one of them will be the new mayor. I'm looking forward to the debates. Diotte has the "fix the potholes" crowd, but I don't think he'll get pro-business, pro-downtown development, pro-LRT expansion voters
                            I'm worried the support for pro-business, pro-development, and pro-LRT will be split between Iveson and Leibovici giving Diotte the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mla View Post
                              Originally posted by 24karat View Post
                              I'm worried the support for pro-business, pro-development, and pro-LRT will be split between Iveson and Leibovici giving Diotte the win.
                              Then, vote Leibovici. She has work-related relationship with other municipalities.
                              Last edited by Nemic; 11-08-2013, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X