Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Mayor Mandel does not run, who out of the sitting councillors is preferred by you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way Diotte will become the next mayor is if the more progressive vote is split between multiple candidates. replacement all this about unprecedented civic debt is BS. Maybe unprecedented to Edmonton but I can point at more than a few very successful cities that heavily leverage debt and they are doing VERY WELL. You have to look at what the debt has been used on... we BUILT a city with it and as the press points out.. Almost every dollar spent represents 1-2 dolalrs of matching money from the prov and the feds.

The cost of NOT spending/borrowing that money would have been MUCH higher...
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 21-05-2013, 12:48 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
      It just seemed like he was candid, didn't care what he said,
      If you know the mayor well, this is actually part of his personality. I think he normally tones it down for the public. I once sat in a private meeting with him where he made some fairly defamatory comments about a local land owner (I will not repeat those comments here, as I know there were in jest, but still very inappropriate... but funny as hell!) That's just his style
      Oh I certainly know Mandel can be ascerbic.

Plenty of instances of that. But not usually to direct political foes that he would be running against although I could stand to be corrected on that. More often he appears to be barking at other levels of govt and business and industry. On the latter point Mandels bridge building is vastly over rated. He may have had the support of city council. But I wonder how much he's loved in all circles when he calls the business community cowards. Not saying he's wrong either, but that Mandel when angry doesn't pick his spots and comments very well.
      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by McBoo View Post
        This time next year folks will be asking, Kerry Who?

My inner radar tells me Mandel has likely already been working with someone he'd be happy to fully support as a replacement (no pun intended poster).

Besides, if pollsters actually decided elections, Adrian Dix would be Premier of B.C. - having hissing matches with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith

the whole board shudders collectively.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
          The only way Diotte will become the next mayor is if the more progressive vote is split between multiple candidates. replacement all this about unprecedented civic debt is BS. Maybe unprecedented to Edmonton but I can point at more than a few very successful cities that heavily leverage debt and they are doing VERY WELL. You have to look at what the debt has been used on... we BUILT a city with it and as the press points out.. Almost every dollar spent represents 1-2 dolalrs of matching money from the prov and the feds.

Where do we disagree? I stated specifically unprecedented for Edmonton.

I'm also on the fence as to the spending right or wrong and stated as much. Wasn't sure which Mandel vision was correct.

Trouble with comparing this to other cities is that other cities that have profited from this nature of civic spending boom have had the business interests on side to much more than match. What remains to be seen in Edmonton is how many of those local big business "cowards" (Mandel's words, not mine) end up stepping up to the plate in the final push. Somewhat strange, and I dare say illogical, for Mandel to believe one thing, and then another, at the same time. For instance that it doesn't logically follow that business reticence will result in massive building starts and CRL.
          Last edited by Replacement; 21-05-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I will be voting for the strongest candidate who is not Diotte, even though I may or may not politically agree with them. Diotte would be a disaster on the scale, but obviously not as bad, as Rob Ford in Toronto.

Also seeing as he will be the Wildrose-backed candidate doesn't hurt in making my decision either.
            Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
              Diotte will win and be the next mayor.
              Oh, man!! I hope not.
              Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Originally posted by 24karat View Post
                Oh, man!! I hope not.
                Unfortunately I've been sharp on predicting some recent and past election results.

Mandel Wins, Stelmach Win, backing Redford to win PC leader, then Redford to win election, Wildrose collapse, Christy Clark to win election, NDP to do well in federal election under Mulcair, liberal collapse, PQ collapse in federal election, Harper win etc.

Not sure why but I seem to gauge the pulse better than the polls, not that the latter is saying much.

ps

heres the age old problem in NA generated across many studies, voter apathy amongst the young. Basically spitting, talking, messaging and spending all day being connected and informed but disconnecting on the most important political moments. A real shame. But one to blame.

http://elections.ca/content.aspx?sec...eport38&lang=e

In the US they had the same problem but the youth vote got out long enough to support Obama a couple of times. But it took generational disgust with the Bush administrations to empower that voter turnout.

http://politicalarithmetik.blogspot....and-votes.html

I encourage people to get out there and prove me wrong and vote. But voting for anybody but Diotte doesn't get there either. The likelihood is that a couple candidates will be running a carry on the Mandel torch banner. I don't see more fiscal conservatives on board unless Diotte, Caterina, and Iverson head off at the pass. The reality is that more status quo candidates likely appear rather than more anti candidates. Especially given that Mandel was incumbent who never got voted out. Candidates will attempt to play that tune. Not Diotte.
                Last edited by Replacement; 21-05-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

The mayor has but one vote - so (s)he needs a compelling, persuasive vision. Diotte's vision is neither

If he wins, I see the same 10-3 split, just with the Mayor continually on the wrong side.

On the other hand, if he loses, maybe we'll see more 11-2 splits.
                  ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by 24karat View Post
                    Oh, man!! I hope not.
                    OH NO, there goes the neighborhood
                    Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

Where do we disagree? I stated specifically unprecedented for Edmonton.

I'm also on the fence as to the spending right or wrong and stated as much. Wasn't sure which Mandel vision was correct.

Trouble with comparing this to other cities is that other cities that have profited from this nature of civic spending boom have had the business interests on side to much more than match. What remains to be seen in Edmonton is how many of those local big business "cowards" (Mandel's words, not mine) end up stepping up to the plate in the final push. Somewhat strange, and I dare say illogical, for Mandel to believe one thing, and then another, at the same time. For instance that it doesn't logically follow that business reticence will result in massive building starts and CRL.
                      replacement.. you don't build long term infrastructure with cash on hand, not when you can borrow at 3%.

New Infrastructure and major refurbishment of it should be done via borrowing and paid off over it's life span. The day to day running of the city needs to be done with cash on hand. This city did NOTHING for 2+ decades... Our 2 Billion in debt (which is only about 50% of our max debt load) is proof of what happens when you defer your responsibilities to maintain current infrastructure and proof that Alberta just pushed is debt and responsibilities down or offloaded it's liabilities onto pvt business.

We were never a debt free province as we have MASSIVE infrastructure debt.

As for the business community, there are a number of players in the area that contribute next to nothing locally as well as some superstars. I am sure you will find this everywhere. What you won't find everywhere is someone willing to challenge the norm or call people out on things. Our mayor does this... and rightly so. The superstars know they are superstars. The stantecs, the PCL's do a lot and they know it. The fence sitters like CWB (who should be WAY more visible), Insurance companies, brokers, industrial. need a huge push. Look at the money Calgary leverages. We have a sim sized regional market. They need a boot to remind them who builds this province and keeps it working. Calgary may balance the books but we get er done.
                      Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 21-05-2013, 05:27 PM.
                      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Too bad I couldn't vote on this poll here , but I don't say who I would vote for the Mayor here.
                        Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Diotte will win and be the next mayor. Barring any major political calamity between now and then.
                          Care to make an avatar wager on that, Rep? I think the electorate will see through his phonyism. If you're right, be prepared for the worst council ever. No exaggeration. His colleagues dislike him tensely and it would be a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
                            Diotte will win and be the next mayor. Barring any major political calamity between now and then.
                            I think Diotte will get a lot of votes, but depending on who is running against him, he could come in second or third if another candidate comes up the middle.

After all, back in 2004, everyone expected either Bill Smith or Robert Noce to be elected mayor. But Mandel, who was expected to be the 3rd guy, came out of nowhere and surprised everyone with the most votes.

This is what scares me. Depending on who is running, Diotte could be the candidate who comes up the middle and become the next mayor of Edmonton.

Suppose any two of these names are on the mayoralty ballot along with Diotte:

Iveson
                            Krushell
                            Leibovici
                            Sohi

It's not far-fetched the above candidates would split the vote to allow "fiscal hawk" Diotte to be voted in as mayor.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyGuy View Post
                              Care to make an avatar wager on that, Rep? I think the electorate will see through his phonyism. If you're right, be prepared for the worst council ever. No exaggeration. His colleagues dislike him tensely and it would be a disaster.
                              haha, not like I'm cheering the guy on or anything. I prefer betting on things I want to have happen. Or betting against things I don't.

That said If I'm wrong I'll wear a slightly uglier non-avatar then I have on now sir. and you?

As well don't be surprised if a few others are turfed out of council. Who knows who we have in the next term.

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
                              Originally posted by MrOilers View Post

I think Diotte will get a lot of votes, but depending on who is running against him, he could come in second or third if another candidate comes up the middle.

After all, back in 2004, everyone expected either Bill Smith or Robert Noce to be elected mayor. But Mandel, who was expected to be the 3rd guy, came out of nowhere and surprised everyone with the most votes.
                              This is what scares me. Depending on who is running, Diotte could be the candidate who comes up the middle and become the next mayor of Edmonton.

Suppose any two of these names are on the mayoralty ballot along with Diotte:

Iveson
                              Krushell
                              Leibovici
                              Sohi

It's not far-fetched the above candidates would split the vote to allow "fiscal hawk" Diotte to be voted in as mayor.
                              Yep.

Theres a much greater chance as I stated of 3 of the bolded running then 3 anti status quo campaigns competing. But I disagree with Iveson who comes across as fiscal conservative himself. He could split some votes with Diotte if he ran. But if I'm Iveson I know I'm not ready and I spend one more term as Alderman and then I figure he's mayor next go round if he continues his solid work.
                              Last edited by Replacement; 21-05-2013, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I think I'll move back to Edmonton just to vote against Diotte.

Comment

Working...
                                X