X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City councillors get portfolios

City councillors get portfolios

Oct, 29 2007 - 2:50 PM
    EDMONTON/630 CHED - Mayor Mandel is out with a new list of initiatives for each member of City Council.

There are three new portfolios for this three year term.

The Environment - which will see Don Iveson head to Bali for a conference at the end of the year.

The effort to bring the World's Fair to Edmonton in 2017.

Port Alberta - which could see Edmonton become the Chicago of the north in terms of intermodule transportation needs.

Mayor Mandel tells 630 CHED News the idea of councilors taking ownership of individual programs worked well in his first term. (js)

Scott Johnston
    COUNCIL MEMBER INITIATIVES

Karen Leibovici

Affordable Housing – Housing First
    envisionEdmonton
    Port Alberta
    World’s Fair
    Stony Plain Road Revitalization

Linda Sloan

Seniors Issues
    Environment
    Stony Plain Road Revitalization

Kim Krushell

Port Alberta
    Youth Initiatives
    Winter Festival

Ron Hayter

Aboriginal Issues
    North Issues
    River Valley

Ed Gibbons

Alberta Avenue
    Provincial MLA Relationships
    North Issues
    Industrial Land Strategy

Tony Caterina

Alberta Avenue
    Biotech Value-added
    Industrial Land Strategy

Jane Batty

The Quarters
    Capital Health/Post-Secondary Relationships
    World’s Fair
    Biotech Value-added
    Chinatown Revitalization

Ben Henderson

Public Hearing Consultation Process
    The Quarters
    Winter City
    Chinatown Revitalization

Bryan Anderson

Sports and Recreation
    Working with Administration to expedite process and approval of sports and recreation facilities
    River Valley

Don Iveson

Environment
    Youth Initiatives

Dave Thiele

Transit
    Mayor’s Task Force on Traffic Safety

Amarjeet Sohi

Safe Edmonton/Drug Strategy
    Multiculturalism

-30-

Dave Thiele

Transit
    Mayor’s Task Force on Traffic Safety
    This has got to be a joke, right? At the very least, by his actions or lack thereof, David has demonstrated that he is totally opposed to the very concept of transit in any form acceptable to the average punter. Or, by "transit", do we mean stretched limos or supersized SUVs to get David to work in the morning?

And there has to be a typo in the second part of David's portfolio. Shouldn't it read:

"Mayor's Task Force on Indoor Soccer"?

Maybe someone better informed than myself can clarify these issues, because I'm confused. This is like something out of Alice in Wonderland!
    The Animals' Choice: Mayor of Elk Island

Comment

Well that's a handy tidbit of info.
      Nice to see that things are moving on the Port Alberta and World's Fair ideas.
      Oh - just noticed something mentioned about a winter festival too - very cool.

Comment

Mmm. I don't actually have an opinion on Thiele, which is in itself a bad thing, so I guess I'm not happy with him having transit.

Caterina with Alberta Avenue worries me, though I know that's just a function of it being his ward.

Henderson and Iveson go relatively wasted (portfolio-wise), unless environment is actually going to be something that's taken into consideration now.

As for Sohi, well, they managed to cover all their stereotypical bases, didn't they?

Comment

Caterina with Alberta Avenue worries me, though I know that's just a function of it being his ward
          You gotta be kidding me.

Afraid you might get some EHTF projects in your neighborhood ?

Caterina, while perhaps not good for the city as a whole, will be an strong voice representing a part of downtown that has largely been ignored and misused by the city, and the growing number of people who live there who've had enough.
          Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

..Feasibility of trying to host the 2017 World's Fair

Specialties assigned to city councillors
            Councillors to focus on feasibility of trying to host the 2017 World's Fair

Gordon Kent, edmontonjournal.com
            Published: October 29, 2007 8:03 pm

Article Link:
            http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...8ff0e1&k=97675

City councillors will look at bidding on the 2017 World's Fair, creating a winter festival and making the city a North American transportation centre in their special initiatives released today.

Mayor Stephen Mandel said he worked with each of the 12 councillors to determine the priorities in which they're interested, similar to the process he started when he was first elected mayor in 2004. Each councillor will have from two to five specialized areas, allowing them to work with their colleagues and city staff to come up with ways of dealing with these areas, he told a news conference.

"In the past we have not used the skill set and the drive of councillors to move forward with issues."

One big success in the last term was the work by Coun. Ron Hayter which lead to the creation of Edmonton's urban aboriginal accord, Mandel said.

This time, one focus will be the feasibility of trying to host the 2017 World's Fair, which Coun. Jane Batty and Coun. Karen Leibovici take over from former Coun. Mike Nickel.

"It's important for the world to see Edmonton," said Mandel, adding it will probably be months before it's clear whether a bid is even possible. "A world's fair creates a theme. Maybe that theme could be around the environment."

Coun. Ben Henderson will look at ways to improve city life during Edmonton's cold months, such as setting up a winter festival.

"How do we make a virtue of the fact that we're a winter city, instead of just hiding away and hoping it will be over?" Henderson asked. "My challenge is to go to the community and come up with really creative ways of seeing what winter can look like."

In addition to the possible winter festival, Coun. Kim Krushell will help spearhead the Port Alberta project, which envisions making Edmonton a North American transportation hub distributing containers coming by rail through the new port in Prince Rupert, B.C. While Mandel said the scheme could be worth billions of dollars in development for the capital region, Krushell said it needs provincial investment in elements such as a $150-million interchange planned for Gateway Boulevard on Edmonton's southern boundary. This will allow trucks access to a new Canadian Pacific Railway intermodal facility being built nearby and a smooth flow of goods to the Edmonton International Airport, she said.

"We could become Chicago North."

[email protected]

© Edmonton Journal 2007
            -30-

Comment

Originally posted by bagould
              Henderson and Iveson go relatively wasted (portfolio-wise), unless environment is actually going to be something that's taken into consideration now.

As for Sohi, well, they managed to cover all their stereotypical bases, didn't they?
              Iveson getting the Youth Initiatives makes a lot of sense given his age.

And Sohi in charge of multiculturalism makes a lot of sense too since he would have a better appreciation of what would attract more immigrants to this city.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I am getting sick of this Chicago North twaddle!

Is Edmonton so bereft of merit that we constantly have to be an American Big City Wannabe? Let's build on our strengths, which are numerous! And address our problems, which are also numerous.

Maybe the Chicagophiles in the administration should be sent down there on, say, a three year fact-finding secondment?

Comment

Originally posted by Elk Islander

I am getting sick of this Chicago North twaddle!

Is Edmonton so bereft of merit that we constantly have to be an American Big City Wannabe? Let's build on our strengths, which are numerous! And address our problems, which are also numerous.

Maybe the Chicagophiles in the administration should be sent down there on, say, a three year fact-finding secondment?
                  Agree

Chicago North scares me.

Winnipeg was once called that....might as well call it Iqaluit of the south now. Because that's how relevant it has become.

Comment

why wasn't Amarjeet Sohi, a former transit operator, given the transit portfolio? afraid he might make some changes for the better? I would think he knows far more about transit than anyone else on council.

Comment

^ I wish we could be: "Edmonton, the city that doesn't feel the compulsive need to compare itself to others!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Bear
                        ^ I wish we could be: "Edmonton, the city that doesn't feel the compulsive need to compare itself to others!"
                        ^ That would be nice!

Comment

Originally posted by snakes on a blog
                          why wasn't Amarjeet Sohi, a former transit operator, given the transit portfolio? afraid he might make some changes for the better? I would think he knows far more about transit than anyone else on council.
                          I concur. Giving Thiele the transit portfolio is liking putting a fox in charge of henhouse security.

I wonder how much better ETS service would become if councillors were forced to verifiably use it on their daily commute to the pyramids? Seriously, are we overlooking a cost-effective solution here?

Comment

Originally posted by djgirl
                            ^ That would be nice!
                            To be fair, we're in a country that feels the compulsive need to compare itself to others. And the "blah blah north" meme was started by Toronto - which is the neediest wannabe of them all. When in doubt, I blame TO.

Comment

Originally posted by newfangled
                              Originally posted by djgirl
                              ^ That would be nice!
                              To be fair, we're in a country that feels the compulsive need to compare itself to others. And the "blah blah north" meme was started by Toronto - which is the neediest wannabe of them all. When in doubt, I blame TO.
                              ^ :P

Comment

Working...
                              X