Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Municipal funding slashed by Kenney: What projects/services will get cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
    Originally posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    ^ Why not start looking at some simple things. Hold the line on salary increases, get rid of this whole every second Friday off and standarize a 40 hour work week.

Salary increases have been on hold for 6 years. No COLA, no steps, no increases at all. Getting rid of the compressed work week is silly, the same amount of hours are worked either way. I have no issues with increasing the standard work week from 37.5 to 40, I regularly work 50-60 hours myself in the public sector because there is a hiring freeze now, and I'm doing the work of 2-3 people, so while I'm making out great with OT, your paying me more for that OT rather than just hiring the staff we need to get the job done. I don't mind at all.

These simple things aren't so simple when you actually understand how things work.
    emphasis added because i don't think that's correct...

if you're an architectural technologist as an example and salaries are negotiated to increase 2%, you might think that's all your salary would increase. except it doesn't work that way.

there are still 6 steps in the salary chart for that architectural technologist and the difference in salary from one step the next is between 4.5% and 5.0%. the difference between step 1 and step 6 is about 26%. so when the city or the union say salaries are only going to increase by 2% or 1% or even 0% , that's not what happens to that architectural technologist's actual wages or to the city's labour costs. that's what happens to the grid. and regardless of what happens to the grid, he - or she - will continue to move from step 1 to step 2 to step 3 to step 4 to step 5 to step 6.

and if someone says "salary increases have been on hold for 6 years, no cola, no steps, no increases at all", they're probably wrong.
    https://csu52.org/wp-content/uploads...s-by-Alpha.pdf
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

^ Exactly. And I'm sure that how it is for nurses, teachers, firefighters, police. Next time somebody in a unionized environment tells you that they have not had a raise in a number of years, ask them to produce their union contract.
      Let me correct that for you
      the same amount of hours are worked spent in the office either way)
      It's not the number of hours simply in the office, it's the efficiency of the work being done.

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
        ^ Why not start looking at some simple things. Hold the line on salary increases, get rid of this whole every second Friday off and standarize a 40 hour work week.

Salary increases have been on hold for 6 years. No COLA, no steps, no increases at all. Getting rid of the compressed work week is silly, the same amount of hours are worked either way. I have no issues with increasing the standard work week from 37.5 to 40, I regularly work 50-60 hours myself in the public sector because there is a hiring freeze now, and I'm doing the work of 2-3 people, so while I'm making out great with OT, your paying me more for that OT rather than just hiring the staff we need to get the job done. I don't mind at all.

These simple things aren't so simple when you actually understand how things work.

if you're an architectural technologist as an example and salaries are negotiated to increase 2%, you might think that's all your salary would increase. except it doesn't work that way.

there are still 6 steps in the salary chart for that architectural technologist and the difference in salary from one step the next is between 4.5% and 5.0%. the difference between step 1 and step 6 is about 26%. so when the city or the union say salaries are only going to increase by 2% or 1% or even 0% , that's not what happens to that architectural technologist's actual wages or to the city's labour costs. that's what happens to the grid. and regardless of what happens to the grid, he - or she - will continue to move from step 1 to step 2 to step 3 to step 4 to step 5 to step 6.

and if someone says "salary increases have been on hold for 6 years, no cola, no steps, no increases at all", they're probably wrong.

Hi Ken,

I'm a public sector non-union employee. I have not had a step increase, cola or anything in 6 years. I'm not part of the CSU52, my workplace is AUPE, but I'm exempted out. I've been at the exact same salary for 6 years.... If you consider inflation and increased taxes, I'm making less today than I was 6 years ago. If you factor in the fact that I'm also no longer getting a bonus, I'm making 5-6% less today than I was 6 years ago, adjusted for inflation.
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

^ Exactly. And I'm sure that how it is for nurses, teachers, firefighters, police. Next time somebody in a unionized environment tells you that they have not had a raise in a number of years, ask them to produce their union contract.
          It's not the number of hours simply in the office, it's the efficiency of the work being done.

uh huh... I'm much more productive on compressed work schedule, that extra 1 hour or so per day allows me to finish many things that I would just leave to another day in a regular 7.25. I also spend less time commuting this way. For many that commute 30-60 minutes per day or more, than time adds up.

Let's not forget - these cuts were completely unnecessary if Kenney didn't give a 4.5 Billion dollar tax break to Corporations who just increase shareholder profits... No trickle down, nothing given back to Alberta. Just a thank you basically. 4.5 Billion dollars buys a lot of teachers, nurses, doctors and other Albertans serving other albertans with vital services that keep this province rolling.
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Unfortunately “work-life balance” has been suspended as per the MacKinnon Report. Alberta needs Albertans to throw themselves under the bus to get O&G back to a golden age, starting from the most vulnerable & working their way up to the middle class.
            Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

The good old 'middle class', a footnote in time.

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
                Unfortunately “work-life balance” has been suspended as per the MacKinnon Report. Alberta needs Albertans to throw themselves under the bus to get O&G back to a golden age, starting from the most vulnerable & working their way up to the middle class.
                In order to get back to the golden age, we are going to need massive construction jobs and a removal of all the automation that has happened in that industry, that was long overdue for automation.

Before all the kids around here get mad and say "what automation" Take a closer look. Here's one small example of 400 jobs gone in Suncor due to automation, there's a plethora of other examples

https://globalnews.ca/news/4000125/s...oilsands-jobs/

The golden era of high paying low skill jobs in the oilfield are mostly gone now, and most of the construction projects are now finished. That big boom of employment is NOT coming back, not matter how much we decrease taxes, or sell out to corporations.

Comment

I'm also a public sector worker (not municipal) who is not part of a collective agreement, and have been since 2014 when I left the private sector. I had no illusions that the path I chose would provide me with wealth, but I was interested in more personally meaningful work. I cringe when I look at an inflation calculator, though, as I realize I'm earning 7% less now than when I started five years ago. My friends who stayed at the same company I left, with the same seniority as me, are now earning nearly double my current salary, and are eligible for bonuses. When I hear people moan about public sector salaries not being "in line" with the private sector as if that is some kind of universal generality, I can do nothing but roll my eyes.
                  “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post

Hi Ken,

I'm a public sector non-union employee. I have not had a step increase, cola or anything in 6 years. I'm not part of the CSU52, my workplace is AUPE, but I'm exempted out. I've been at the exact same salary for 6 years.... If you consider inflation and increased taxes, I'm making less today than I was 6 years ago. If you factor in the fact that I'm also no longer getting a bonus, I'm making 5-6% less today than I was 6 years ago, adjusted for inflation.
                    hi back...

i'm not going to try and debate your personal circumstances or relationship with aupe or your workplace employer other than to note that your circumstance seems more like a private contractor one than a union one. as a private sector employee, there's a whole tone of albertans that would probably be pretty happy to be earning 94 - 95% of what they were earning 6 years ago.

as far as the province's relationship with the aupe workplace overall however, it is still governed by a contract very similar to the csu52's although the applicable steps can be as high as 7 or as low as 2:

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...-agreement.pdf

in addition to the steps, they also start with 3 weeks vacation, moving to 4 weeks after 3 years and 5 weeks after 10. they also have regularly upgraded benefit packages ranging from leave provisions to increased dental and insurance coverage.

don't get me wrong, i don't begrudge you your circumstances or those working under csu or aupe contract provisions theirs. but i also see no benefit in refusing to recognizing what those overall circumstance actually are and the overall financial impact they have on their employers.
                    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

uh huh... I'm much more productive on compressed work schedule, that extra 1 hour or so per day allows me to finish many things that I would just leave to another day in a regular 7.25. I also spend less time commuting this way. For many that commute 30-60 minutes per day or more, than time adds up.

Let's not forget - these cuts were completely unnecessary if Kenney didn't give a 4.5 Billion dollar tax break to Corporations who just increase shareholder profits... No trickle down, nothing given back to Alberta. Just a thank you basically. 4.5 Billion dollars buys a lot of teachers, nurses, doctors and other Albertans serving other albertans with vital services that keep this province rolling.
                      Does your employer dock your pay for posting on the C2E forum on company time? LOL
                      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

The more we save the more we can send to your province PRT.
                        Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                          Does your employer dock your pay for posting on the C2E forum on company time? LOL
                          My employer encourages me to take short breaks after completing a task or while waiting on processing or input from colleagues. They realize that keeping people nose-to-grindstone is counterproductive to productivity.
                          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

I did not know that the C2E forum posting ever reduced stress.
                            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumbones View Post
                              The more we save the more we can send to your province PRT.
                              What savings? All the cuts pale in comparison to the huge hole the UCP dug for themselves with corporate handouts as soon as they took power. And after the budget I know I’ll be paying more for less next year, the antithesis of saving.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                                I did not know that the C2E forum posting ever reduced stress.
                                Laughter is the best medicine.

Comment

Working...
                                X