Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Municipal funding slashed by Kenney: What projects/services will get cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Municipal funding slashed by Kenney: What projects/services will get cut?

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...al-budget-cuts

Higher taxes or reduced services in the cards for Edmontonians to combat provincial budget cuts

...Infrastructure cuts announced by the province Thursday include the elimination of the Alberta Community Transit Fund and the implementation of a new reduced-funding partnership with Edmonton and Calgary, killing a long-negotiated model that had been set to come into effect in 2022.The cuts include a $150-million reduction in infrastructure grants for already-approved projects over the next four years and council will need to make tough calls on what needs to take a back seat.

“We’ll have to either cancel or refinance some projects, so there will be impacts,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “The budget will sort out which projects will be delayed, deferred or refinanced.”

The Terwillegar Drive expansion, Stadium LRT Station renewal and financing for electric buses are three main projects that lost provincial funding.

A day removed from the budget announcement, Iveson again voiced his disdain for the removal of the city charter infrastructure funding agreement, or what he called the “new deal,” that would have had Edmonton and Calgary split a base of $500 million annually and would fluctuate with revenue sharing. But a new model announced Thursday lowers the combined amount to $455 million, and caps the amount of revenue sharing to 50 per cent.
    I'm not sure that city council will stomach a large property tax increase to cover the entire shortfall induced by Jason Kenney's austerity agenda. So, what kind of cuts could we see? What projects and services will end up on the chopping block? There will surely be more casualties than just the three areas mentioned by the Journal above. The Lewis Estates rec centre, maybe? The downtown "central park"? Closure of more city pools (like the at-times imperilled Eastglen Leisure Centre)? The mothballing of entire bus routes? The sky's the limit, I suppose.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

^ Why not start looking at some simple things. Hold the line on salary increases, get rid of this whole every second Friday off and standarize a 40 hour work week.

Comment

Originally posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
      ^ Why not start looking at some simple things. Hold the line on salary increases, get rid of this whole every second Friday off and standarize a 40 hour work week.
      I’m all for across the board wage reductions. Could maybe even mandate it for the private sector too but a tax increase does meet some of the broader societal needs. Wages though are “sticky” and a lot of people are earning the salaries that they are, only because their employer would face so much flack for cutting salaries to pay the bills on lower revenues - so instead they take a less effective route of slashing jobs that may still be critical to their operations.

I can’t recall exactly but I think the shorter work week and days off thing at the City, started in the really bad times of the post-’70s bubble.

Shorter work weeks mean that you can increase employment for the same level of expenditure - if done right. Plus appointments etc should be scheduled for a day off. Volunteer work can be done in the days off too. At a minimum the days off provide benefits to the private sector through added spending on those days.

Where the real failure has been is in breaking up jobs in both the private and public sectors into more of part time jobs that single parents and others in special circumstances need.

The lack of those jobs means that society has to provide added funding supports in a lot of other areas. I know of people that have had to quit $100k/yr professional private sector jobs to take $15-20k/yr jobs so they could free up the necessary time for their special needs kids.
      Last edited by KC; 27-10-2019, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Walters mentioned Lewis Estates rec center as a possible cut on CBC radio Friday morning.

Comment

Well, the city’s growth may slow so some slowing of infrastructure expansion might not be so bad. Just have to gamble that waiting will somehow make it a better decision.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesL View Post
            https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...al-budget-cuts

Higher taxes or reduced services in the cards for Edmontonians to combat provincial budget cuts

...Infrastructure cuts announced by the province Thursday include the elimination of the Alberta Community Transit Fund and the implementation of a new reduced-funding partnership with Edmonton and Calgary, killing a long-negotiated model that had been set to come into effect in 2022.The cuts include a $150-million reduction in infrastructure grants for already-approved projects over the next four years and council will need to make tough calls on what needs to take a back seat.

“We’ll have to either cancel or refinance some projects, so there will be impacts,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “The budget will sort out which projects will be delayed, deferred or refinanced.”

The Terwillegar Drive expansion, Stadium LRT Station renewal and financing for electric buses are three main projects that lost provincial funding.

A day removed from the budget announcement, Iveson again voiced his disdain for the removal of the city charter infrastructure funding agreement, or what he called the “new deal,” that would have had Edmonton and Calgary split a base of $500 million annually and would fluctuate with revenue sharing. But a new model announced Thursday lowers the combined amount to $455 million, and caps the amount of revenue sharing to 50 per cent.
            I'm not sure that city council will stomach a large property tax increase to cover the entire shortfall induced by Jason Kenney's austerity agenda. So, what kind of cuts could we see? What projects and services will end up on the chopping block? There will surely be more casualties than just the three areas mentioned by the Journal above. The Lewis Estates rec centre, maybe? The downtown "central park"? Closure of more city pools (like the at-times imperilled Eastglen Leisure Centre)? The mothballing of entire bus routes? The sky's the limit, I suppose.
            No, IanO can breath easy. The city is planning on borrowing millions to pay for his park.

Debt investments: City ponders borrowing $82.4 million for Downtown revitalization
            JEFF LABINE Updated: October 26, 2019

Edmonton could be borrowing another $82.4 million to cover multiple big-ticket projects in the Downtown core, including a large park in the Warehouse Campus area and more improvements to Jasper Avenue.

Before Edmonton can take on more debt, city council has to give approval through a bylaw. First reading of the bylaw passed on Sept. 10 with second and third scheduled to take place on Nov. 5.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...revitalization

Comment

Gross. Jasper in Oliver is a nightmare & we already have the plans to fix it but have to wait for future budget cycles.

Downtown? Right to the front of the line, use the credit card!
              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Exactly! Too easy, perhaps.
                Animals are my passion.

Comment

Taking away the EDO requires a 12% wage increase, or conversely, those people who utilize the EDO effectively leave 12% of their earnings on the table, at least for CSU52 members.

6.01.02 Employees working 80 hours will receive an hours of work wage adjustment of 12% of the bi-weekly rate of pay assigned from the schedule of wages. This premium will be discontinued if the hours of work of the position are reduced to 67.5 hours.
                  https://csu52.org/wp-content/uploads...2015-07-28.pdf
                  Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

I'd happily exchange the downtown park for the repaving of some roads in the northwest part of the city.
                    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
                      Taking away the EDO requires a 12% wage increase, or conversely, those people who utilize the EDO effectively leave 12% of their earnings on the table, at least for CSU52 members.

6.01.02 Employees working 80 hours will receive an hours of work wage adjustment of 12% of the bi-weekly rate of pay assigned from the schedule of wages. This premium will be discontinued if the hours of work of the position are reduced to 67.5 hours.
                      https://csu52.org/wp-content/uploads...2015-07-28.pdf
                      Yep, would be good to go through the agreement in detail and iron out some of these perks. We are in different times, and we cannot keep absorbing tax increases. .
                      An interesting way would be to put it to the union, here is a pot of cash, either you take a raise and accept some layoff's, or everybody takes a % cut and no job losses. A 40hour week would help, as there are often long waits for civic services (DP's, licenses etc).

Comment

Originally posted by norwoodguy View Post
                        I'd happily exchange the downtown park for the repaving of some roads in the northwest part of the city.
                        Like Inglewood or Calder?
                        Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
                          Those would both be a good start. Some of the industrial areas a little further west need some love as well.
                          Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
                            Those would both be a good start. Some of the industrial areas a little further west need some love as well.
                            As long as funding remains for Neighbourhood Renewal those 'hoods are in the pipe for fixin'. I think last election money for the program was reduced.
                            Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Salary increases have been on hold for 6 years. No COLA, no steps, no increases at all. Getting rid of the compressed work week is silly, the same amount of hours are worked either way. I have no issues with increasing the standard work week from 37.5 to 40, I regularly work 50-60 hours myself in the public sector because there is a hiring freeze now, and I'm doing the work of 2-3 people, so while I'm making out great with OT, your paying me more for that OT rather than just hiring the staff we need to get the job done. I don't mind at all.

These simple things aren't so simple when you actually understand how things work.
                              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Working...
                              X