Property Taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Taxes

Residential Property Taxes need to go down or many people will be leaving for Saskatchewan or small towns.

Page 7 here: https://www.altusgroup.com/wp-conten...ark-Report.pdf.
    Edmonton residential property taxes going up up up and Vancouver going down.

Edmonton's residential property tax rate jumped 70% in a decade in 3027. That is a lot higher than wages. City Council on a spending spree with our tax dollars. Edmonton needs some fiscal hawks on Council to roll back budgets and place a moratorium on hiring.

How do you arrive at 70%?
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Someone has to pay, for Edmonton's mayor, and his very green ideas..
      Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by EdmTrekker View Post
        Residential Property Taxes need to go down or many people will be leaving for Saskatchewan or small towns.

Page 7 here: https://www.altusgroup.com/wp-conten...ark-Report.pdf.
        Edmonton residential property taxes going up up up and Vancouver going down.

Edmonton's residential property tax rate jumped 70% in a decade in 3027. That is a lot higher than wages. City Council on a spending spree with our tax dollars. Edmonton needs some fiscal hawks on Council to roll back budgets and place a moratorium on hiring.
        That makes the assumption that Edm prop taxes were fair and sustainable at the start of the decade.

Our median house price is close to national average, and our residental tax rates are close to national average (now).
        If $1000 or 1500/yr is all it takes to make you up and move your family to Sask or a small town, you've got other issues.

Comment

Our property taxes in st Albert, are only $39.00 more than a condo in Edmonton. What a rip off Edmonton!
          Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by H.L. View Post
            Our property taxes in st Albert, are only $39.00 more than a condo in Edmonton. What a rip off Edmonton!
            What is the approximate value of those properties? Property taxes work off the value the city assess your property at. So if your condo was 500,000 and you house is 500,000, and you are paying 39.00 more...

The residential mill rate in St Albert is 10.5%
            Edmonton 8.6%

Who's getting ripped off?! Looks to me like you bought a property of lesser value in St Albert than your condo in Edmonton.
            Last edited by Medwards; 27-08-2018, 12:32 PM.
            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Nope, we just had it appraised and its the same as the condo. $39.00 a month more..for taxes. I suspect that will go up, but that's okay, we get so much more
              Animals are my passion.

Comment

Your personal assessment is different than the assessment the city would do annually. The tax rates are higher in St Albert... I'm not sure what 'so much more' entails, but good on you! Go Get it Girl

Comment

The increase in property taxes and silly things like increasing parking fines makes me feel that Edmonton is sinking in a hole that it can't climb out of. We're looking at options for next year, and I'm hoping for an acreage outside any city limits where my street address is Rural Road ###...

Comment

ahh yes, the leech idea.

Comment

What's the leech idea?

Comment

I've only had time to skim over it but it's an interesting report.

What I take from it on first reading is Edmonton's current residential property tax rate is pretty average for the country:

Another quick take away is it's difficult to assess property taxes by the mill rates. For example if property values fall then the mill rate will have be increased to compensate but property owners may end up not paying any more. Because of the way municipal budgeting works your better off looking at the size of the budget.

Finally, the increase in the last decade for Edmonton is a great bit of cherry picking. The data in the report show Edmonton's rate falling until 2008 when it began climbing again (I presume this coincides with the big neighbourhood renewal push). The report charts the rate from 2003 and you could also say our tax rate has fallen by 20 per cent since then.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
                          I've only had time to skim over it but it's an interesting report.

What I take from it on first reading is Edmonton's current residential property tax rate is pretty average for the country:

Another quick take away is it's difficult to assess property taxes by the mill rates. For example if property values fall then the mill rate will have be increased to compensate but property owners may end up not paying any more. Because of the way municipal budgeting works your better off looking at the size of the budget.

Finally, the increase in the last decade for Edmonton is a great bit of cherry picking. The data in the report show Edmonton's rate falling until 2008 when it began climbing again (I presume this coincides with the big neighbourhood renewal push). The report charts the rate from 2003 and you could also say our tax rate has fallen by 20 per cent since then.
                          i'm prepared to accept your summary/conclusion that our "tax rate" has fallen by 20% since 2003 but i need to balance that with the fact that the assessed value of our home is now 221% of what it was in 2003. the lower "rate" isn't much consolation when it comes time to writing the cheque that takes both of those into account...
                          "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                            Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
                            i'm prepared to accept your summary/conclusion that our "tax rate" has fallen by 20% since 2003 but i need to balance that with the fact that the assessed value of our home is now 221% of what it was in 2003. the lower "rate" isn't much consolation when it comes time to writing the cheque that takes both of those into account...
                            Of course. The point I was aiming for was that the mill rate in isolation doesn't give you a good idea of how much property owners are actually paying. Because of the way municipal taxation works (budget divided by property values) we're better off looking at the what the actual budget is and adjust for population and inflation. Even that is missing things but it least gives some idea.
                            Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 28-08-2018, 07:45 AM. Reason: grammar

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by alkeli View Post
                              What's the leech idea?
                              Where you take resources from the city, but contribution nothing to its well being. Ie a person who chooses to live 'just on the other side of the city borders' but still wants to use all the services and amenities of the city.

Comment

Working...
                              X