Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Blunders By Your Councilman During the Past Four Years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest Blunders By Your Councilman During the Past Four Years.

As the election draws near, it seems a good time to reflect on the past performances of those you and I elected in 2013.

It is a scary thought, but several of these representatives appear set to be reelected merely because of apathy, indifference or just a perception that there are no outstanding prospects available to replace the incumbants.

Our busy lives are filled with personal distractions that take the mind off last week's or last year's screw-ups. Issues that mattered to me and remain buning at the forefront on my consciousness might have been important to you at the time, too, but since slipped off your radar and likewise.

In recent months, every effort has been made to squelch contentious issues and city crews have been dispatched to tend to attend to matters left neglected for the past 3-1/2 years. All to lull us into considering the possibility that the last term has just been a bad dream and to just go with the easy choice of picking the name you know when you return to the ballot booth this October.

Rather than let the ward representatives succeed in burying the past; let's pull it out, set it up on a pedestal and walk around for a good look at what we endured.

Social Amnesia.

A Silent Crippling Disease. Often, victims are unaware of the onset of symptoms.

Help Us Find A Cure.

Comment

Biggest Blunders By Your Councilman During the Past Four Years.

I think the biggest blunder most of them made was getting out of bed in the morning.
      If I am in town I will more than likely vote for my incumbent Loken. He seems to stay under the radar and do his job.
      McKeen I find seems to be a bit of a media chaser, hasn't found a camera he does not like. Kinda like the male version of Krushell.
      Iveson, ho-hum. Hopefully he gets the bums rush but with no real opposition he will probably be anointed again.
      Have not taken much notice of the rest. Nobody stands out as a bastion of civic progress.
      I have a sneaking feeling if I seen all those councillors in one place I would have a hard time keeping my middle finger down.
      Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Ok. That was a start. A bit more vague than I had in mind.

Here's an easy and recent specific blunder for an example. A warm-up, if you will.
        Rejection of the elevated Bonnie Doon station option for the Valley Line LRT extension.

Comment

What about Infill ?

As, ahem, fertile a row to hoe, as ever there was.

Why, the rookie Ward 10 councilman who took on the Infill portfolio as a means to make his mark when no one else wanted to touch it with a ten-foot pole was just in the news again this week; flip-flopping once again, this time regarding an infill disaster in Lansdowne.

Comment

Speaking of Ward 10 flip-flops.

Let's think back to 2015 and the nightmare in Pleasant View where the councilman signed off on a disastrous plan that any right-minded person could see was destined to fail.

Comment

Ah, "Mature Neighborhood Overlay" Versions I & II.

Who knew then that this meant every property within the bounds of the Henday ring road was fair game for whatever a developer dreamed up.

He isn't on council, but it is perversely ironic to see Louis Pereira, of all people, complaining about how MNO II is due to impact Old Glenora.

Mr Pereira, is of course the party responsible for the development of "LG House" built at 10531 - 133rd St. Take a look at it on Google Earth - hard to miss. Built on a 25' section sub-divided from an adjacent lot in the days before the Infill gloves came off. Totally ECLIPSED sunlight that previously shone on the small bungalow owned by the elderly couple immediately north of him.

Ho-hum, just another collateral damage infill story.

Edit: 10531 - 133rd St. (not 135th St as originally posted)
              Last edited by mseaver; 20-09-2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

More please.
                Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

iVision was quoted thus:
                  "Something obviously went very wrong. ... Nothing’s ever going to be 100 per cent accurate. You have to take some risks."

... rather “than putting a head on a stake,” he looks at this as a learning opportunity.

Cebryk, The Entertainer was quoted as follows:
                  “Our goal was to get the system up as quickly as possible but we ran into a number of challenges that were unforeseen.”

Asked if photo enforcement has been stepped up to help pay for the overruns, Cebryk said “any changes in enforcement levels have been strictly tied to us trying to make the citizens safer on the road system.”

Mike Nickel:
                  it looks to him like “the buck’s being passed.”

Comment

Remember, too.

As reported above, the City wizards took Photo Enforcement in-house after finding that crooked cops had been accepting bribes from the City's designated (American) photo radar contractor.

Previous council, but some familiar faces.

Comment

Who's iVision and Cebryk?

Any more stories or concerns, mseaver?

Comment

Enough of my reminiscences for now.

What about your favorites, GW?

Comment

It'd have to be their relaxation on the transit strategy and not push more express bus services and bus-only-lanes with integration of old and new LRT lines, a more robust and intense MNO up-zoning program, focusing on malls and station areas (not only the corridor strategy being discussed currently), and stronger zoning and area development regulations and policies concerning suburban development in relation to collector and arterial roads, commercial development and orientation.

Comment

Their insistence that we need more bike lanes in all the wrong places.
                            When bikes were first invented back in the day the combustion engine was not in vehicles. Fast forward we have become creatures of comfort and we don't want to give up our vehicles or roads for antiquated forms of transportation. Now I agree that cities should encourage people who drive to use public transport but that should also include people who ride bicycles. Instead of dedicating bike lanes for the four people per day that use them just encourage them to leave their bikes at home and take public transport, especially during rush hour traffic. Then again, the people who ride bikes probably have the same beefs as the people who like to drive their cars. That is the public transportation system in not up to par. The hipsters in city hall are just blinded with their 'new age' visions.
                            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
                              It'd have to be their relaxation on the transit strategy and not push more express bus services and bus-only-lanes with integration of old and new LRT lines, a more robust and intense MNO up-zoning program, focusing on malls and station areas (not only the corridor strategy being discussed currently), and stronger zoning and area development regulations and policies concerning suburban development in relation to collector and arterial roads, commercial development and orientation.
                              Ok, there's a start. Just don't beat around the bush so much.

Did YOUR council member drop the ball in some way in these issues? Or did they acquit his/herself to your satisfaction?

Comment

Working...
                              X