Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Blunders By Your Councilman During the Past Four Years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
    Originally posted by Spudly View Post
    Will you be creating a thread about "Biggest Successes By Your Councilman" as part of this "performance review"?
    What would be the point?. Biggest Successes, get real.
    His point, as in most of his posts is to deride other posters. With this being formulaic refrain by now.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Here's a blunder I and others failed to mention so far: Council's rush to be the first Canadian municipality to embrace Uber back in January of 2016.

Since council approved a by-law permitting ride-sharing companies to operate there have been a succession of scandals revealing MANY unsavory aspects about Uber, its executives, its culture, its business model and other facets of THAT organization.

In the news today, London in the UK announces it is stripping Uber of its license effective Sept 30.

Edit: Scandals, not scandels.
      Last edited by mseaver; 23-09-2017, 08:28 AM.

Comment

And none of those "scandels" have anything to do with Edmonton. As far as I can tell, virtually no one under 40 in Edmonton uses anything other than Uber these days. I'm pretty much the only one who still calls/hails a cab among my friends, because I live downtown and they're easy to find.

But yeah, Uber was being run by a bunch of jerks. No question. That has what to do with Edmonton city council?

Comment

Originally posted by mseaver View Post
          Here's a blunder I and others failed to mention so far: Council's rush to be the first Canadian municipality to embrace Uber back in January of 2016.

Since council approved a by-law permitting ride-sharing companies to operate there have been a succession of scandels revealing MANY unsavory aspects about Uber, its executives, its culture, its business model and other facets of THAT organization.

In the news today, London in the UK announces it is stripping Uber of its license effective Sept 30.
          I've mentioned it on the board plenty. For similar reasons. I thought it was an incredible waste of time for City council to spend so much time deliberating and trying to find workable arrangements for Uber. While telling taxi drivers to grow up and act like real Canadians.. A low point in City council engaged in by Bev Esslinger and Linda Cochrane, City manager. Shame on them indeed.

http://calgaryherald.com/storyline/c...this-afternoon

I was disgusted with the behavior of city council and said so here repeatedly in the uber thread.

Uber has been nonstop scandalous since its inception. They can't stop being in the news for bad reasons. But they got all the support of this forward thinking (sarcasm) city council.
          Last edited by Replacement; 22-09-2017, 07:40 PM.
          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
            those "scandels"
            Thank you. Scandals.

Comment

I'll say one thing: Some of the candidates running in Ward 5 are stupid!

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...d-will-be-lost
              "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Another blunder by council last term - failure to ensure enforcement of and compliance with the Motorcycle Noise bylaw.

Comment

Since council approved a by-law permitting ride-sharing companies to operate there have been a succession of scandals revealing MANY unsavory aspects about Uber, its executives, its culture, its business model and other facets of THAT organization.

Meanwhile, in Quebec City

Mayor Denis Coderre's response to petulant Uber's threat to exit Quebec: “bye-bye. I don’t care”.

In THAT city, their mayor and council didn't fawn all over the ride-sharing service, throw caution to the wind and rush to embrace what has proven to be a rogue enterprise.

Comment

Mseaver, what other opinions do you have of Uber as a service?
                    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Then there's council's turnover of Drainage to EPCOR earlier this year.

In the short thread about this deal at the time, the matter was waived off as: "mere creative accounting, EPCOR is owned by the City".

What contributors failed to consider in the Drainage Deal thread is the long game.

Edmonton City Council is grooming EPCOR for an eventual sale to private interests. Dress the utility up nicely with a pretty bow, then take it to market.
                      Last edited by mseaver; 27-09-2017, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Edmonton City Council is grooming EPCOR for an eventual sale to private interests. Package the utility nicely with a pretty bow, then take it to market.
                        What's the benefit to the CoE beyond the one-time infusion of cash, given that EPCOR currently provides an annual dividend equivalent to about ~25% of what the CoE collects in residential property taxes?
                        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Exactly.

Aesop wrote a fable about this.

Comment

Although I'm not a resident of the city proper I have been following Edmonton politics for close to 50 years.
                            In my opinion, the city administration's handling of day to day issues such as road maintenance, street cleaning, snow plowing, etc has dramatically improved in the last ten years.
                            There are still huge problems with capital construction, but compared with the 80's and 90's the city does a much better job now.

Comment

Road maintenance for sure has gotten way better over the past 10-15 years, from a time when there were dozens of arterial roads in horrible condition, to now when I've actually caught myself thinking "those curbs were in decent shape, why are they replacing them?" There's still a lot to catch up on in the neighbourhoods but arterials are looking pretty good.

The last disaster I recall was Argyll Road under the tracks, finally fixed just a year or two ago.
                              There can only be one.

Comment

^^Low taxes in 80's/90's = no services. Yes, agreed, also portfolios better handled, as citizen expectations of services increased.
                                www.decl.org

Comment

Working...
                                X