Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Days Until Nominations Close for 2017 Municipal Elections

For the love of Sophia !

Please let more adult candidates with maturity, real world experience and common sense step forward by Nomination Day.

Originally posted by mseaver View Post
    For the love of Sophia !

Please let more adult candidates with maturity, real world experience and common sense step forward by Nomination Day.
    That's pretty rich coming from a guy who keeps referring to the Mayor as "iVision". How mature of you.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

For the love of Sophia !

I'm guessing that's why you're not running guywhohatesbikes, though I'm kinda surprised, seeing as you like to take law into your own hand, putting up no bike signs that the city takes down later. Yes, I know who you are. Yes I know you've already blocked me on C2E.
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
        For the love of Sophia !

That's pretty rich coming from a guy who keeps referring to the Mayor as "iVision". How mature of you.
        Wait, what ?

Someone using the handle "Sonic Death Monkey" calls ME out for immaturity ?

Comment

Back to the topic.

Where are the non-WASP candidates?

Edmonton is incredibly diverse. My 'people' (WASPs) have ruled council for years, but they haven't been serving my needs and wants. I'm ready for change.

Comment

Here's a link to a page with a photo of the present Mayor and the Councillors standing on the steps of City Hall.

Do you know why they are all dressed in dark clothes?

To provide some contrast so as to help them stand out from the white background.

Comment

For the love of Sophia !

Wait, what ?

LOL!...zing....!
              Animals are my passion.

Comment

For the love of Sophia !

Wait, what ?

Poor deflection. The obvious difference (to everyone else at least) is that he's calling himself that, whereas you are bastardizing someone else's name.
                I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Spudly ?

Did I pronounce that correctly ?

Comment

But back to the topic.

Where are the Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean candidates. How about the Syrian and Somalian ones.

Omar Khadr, is he eligible to run?

Time to change things up.

Given present circumstances, anyone NOT exhibiting the proclivities of a Rob Ford, Nigel Farage or Donald Trump is fine by me.

Comment

You need only to be a citizen of Canada, right? so the ethnic make-up of eligible potential candidates will lag demographic changes by at least 10 years. Syrians and Somalis are generally not citizens yet.

In a non-party system like our local government you likely won't see recent immigrants win, not until they are well integrated - and probably people who came here fairly young.

I don't think that's a huge problem. That said, a bit more diversity would probably be a good thing, especially on the socio-economic spectrum where most of our council is staunchly middle class.
                      There can only be one.

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander II View Post
                        In a non-party system like our local government you likely won't see recent immigrants win, not until they are well integrated
                        How do you suppose some of the current suspects were elected ?

By appealing successfully to opinion leaders within the various cultural communities.

Given the low voter turnout amongst the staunchly middle class, I say that the cultural communities should cut out the middleman, put up their own candidates, put out the word about who to vote for and reap the results.

Can I say that ?

Comment

For sure, and it might even work if that cultural candidate had a sufficiently mainstream platform to attract at least some votes from outside. Our wards are big enough that it's only in an extremely crowded field that an ethnic community could make it work on their own.
                          There can only be one.

Comment

I know Edmonton is no Vancouver, but take a look at the somewhat more cosmopolitan appearance of their Councillors

http://vancouver.ca/your-government/...uncillors.aspx

Comment

Whoa ! Halifax is no model to aspire to.

https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/districts-councillors

Comment

Working...
                              X