Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

...and who says you cannot have "parties" in civic politics....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...and who says you cannot have "parties" in civic politics....

So...is this simply party politics without the party...or collusion as alleged...

...and yes...before the zealots start saying this is a Calgary news story....it can happen in Edmonton too...

Originally posted by Global Calgary

CALGARY- It is a rare glimpse into some of the backroom politics going on in Calgary, ahead of October’s municipal election.

Global News has obtained a recording of a November meeting hosted by Cal Wenzel, founder of Shane Homes. In the video, Wenzel presents a plan to defeat select members of city council who are perceived to be anti-development.

Some in the housing industry have been clashing with the city over growth and who should be responsible for infrastructure.

The tape

In the video, Cal Wenzel tells the group, apparently made up of about 150 industry leaders, that while Mayor Nenshi is unbeatable, that may not be the case for other council members.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/502394/exc...-city-council/
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Here's the playbook: http://manningcentre.ca/municipal

Comment

It wouldnt surprise me if this has already happened in Edmonton ya know
      youtube.com/BrothersGrim
      facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

That video is jaw dropping..
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

I don't really see how that's a big deal, or a big surprise. Moneyed interests have always attempted to influence politics to reflect their best interests, whether they be property developers, financiers, or organized labor. In another thread it's mentioned how the teachers in Alberta are a big part of the reason why Redford got elected, because she promised to restore funding and build new schools. How is that much different?

Comment

If you're interested

All of the Edmonton candidates from the last Municipal election have their campaign donation disclosures on line.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...tatements.aspx

Makes for an interesting read

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

Edmonton had this last election with the Envision Edmonton group.

Comment

During the 1995 munipical election I was working as a subcontractor at a city-affiliated firm. There was a strident unionist type on my floor, and he had a list of preferred candidates for the union to back. The usual names were listed...Reimer, Gomberg, Mason, etc. I made note of this and distributed to my colleagues as a don't vote list!
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                  I don't really see how that's a big deal, or a big surprise. Moneyed interests have always attempted to influence politics to reflect their best interests, whether they be property developers, financiers, or organized labor. In another thread it's mentioned how the teachers in Alberta are a big part of the reason why Redford got elected, because she promised to restore funding and build new schools. How is that much different?
                  Its the language that he uses... "The Dark Side" was one phrase that got me. It's clear these men are simply used to getting their way all the time.
                  "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
                    Edmonton had this last election with the Envision Edmonton group.
                    You might want to read through the information on the link before making up your own mind that "envision" was the only or largest player in the game Mr. Oilers.

They were certainly not the only special interest or industry group in the game.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

URGE = Urban Reform Group of Edmonton. Long since passed on - but actively supported civic election candidates.
                      ... gobsmacked

Comment

^ I now firmly believe that we need to get rid of corp donations in all levels of gov't and cap private donations at something like $500 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
                          You might want to read through the information on the link before making up your own mind that "envision" was the only or largest player in the game Mr. Oilers.
                          Envision Edmonton was merely the first one that came to mind off the top of my head.

Comment

In my opinion, it makes me sick what the rich think they can do just because they have money. This video is eye opening for sure and thankfully made available to the general public but at the same time, I am not so shocked. There are people bought in politics all the time. It needs to stop.

Comment

The only reason this has come out is because Calgary council, lead by Nenshi, have had the guts to say no to sprawl. If you look at recent decisions of Edmonton council, like trying to annex more sprawl land (in conflict with the municiple growth plan that is not being implemented at all), its pretty obvious the old boys developer club is still in control in COE. I'd like to see candidates state they won't accept developer campaign donations, and promises of future jobs, I'd vote for such councilors ahead of others regardless of their politics.
                              Last edited by moahunter; 23-04-2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X