Seattle LRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle LRT

So I thought I would start a thread about the LRT system in Seattle.

I was in Seattle for a quick little vacation with my family and I found that I really liked the transit system and LRT out that way. In particular I found that from where I was staying, in Federal Way, that I could make great time taking the current King County bus, Expresslink A and then transfer to the Sound Transit LRT and make it into downtown Seattle pretty quickly. The typical drive time on the freeway is about 35 mins with average traffic for the 22 mile stretch, although that definitely gets worse when traffic is bad. Comparatively the train is also about the same amount of time and I noticed that we were not affected much by traffic, even in the sections that were at grade.

I do think that there are a few lessons that Edmonton LRT can learn from Sound Transit LRT, especially how they are building their extensions. By 2024 they plan on extending north and south to eventually connect to Tacoma.

https://www.soundtransit.org/system-expansion
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

The Seattle-Tacoma metro area has three times the population, strong rail links-ROW, the area is surrounded by water and has a distinct north-south corridor.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Oh I know, and I agree that the Seattle-Tacoma region has a whole lot more to work with. I just feel that ETS and the city of Edmonton should consider looking at elements that have been done right and try to figure out how to implement those elements here in Edmonton for our LRT, such as considering a bit more elevated tracks.

Comment

We have tried to tell the COEA that elevated sections such as over the Bonnie Doon parking lot and the traffic circle to avoid many road conflicts, reconstruction and utilities work but their official talking points were that elevated is 3 times the cost with no substantiation.

After the east and west valley lines, there is little need for another expensive LRT line except maybe to SA.
        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Well to SA would be ok, although ironically it appears from the design they came up with for the line to SA they smartened up a bit and separated the grade at the proper locations.

Comment

Working...
          X