No announcement yet.

Vancouver SkyTrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean on a dollar-for-dollar basis, the amount of private development relative to capital cost for LRT in Portland is extremely high because that was what they built it for, not ridership.

I also argue that it is not a model to emulate for Edmonton, because we shouldn't be treating public transit as an investment sweetener for land developers.

In other words, I think you are right to disagree with Portland's model but for the wrong reasons. You think Portland's LRT poorly serves its intended function of mass transit. I'm arguing that was never its intent in the first place.

Comment

I'd argue the Valley line is built with the same drivers. Development over efficient transit system.
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

I agree with Medwards but add that every candidate for city council or mayor extolls public transit and specifically LRT as a campaign platform and when elected are beholden to the campaign promise.

We were sold that a slow streetcar that was to cost far less than LRT but I see no difference.

What I do see is another mega transit project that has not been fiscally evaluated, (none of the lines have ever been analyzed for a cost benefit ratio) that is more about keeping the powerful transit union happy and the Transportation Department happy than any real benefit to transit users.
        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

A comprehensive look at how Skytrain is transforming metro Vancouver:

Much of Metro Vancouver’s future — where residents live, work, and play — will revolve around areas served by SkyTrain stations, where the region is already experiencing its greatest urban transformation projects.

See also

Richmond successfully raises $32 million to build Canada Line's new Capstan Station

Buoyed by municipal and regional policies that encourage dense developments around SkyTrain stations, also known as transit-oriented developments, tens of thousands of new homes and millions of sq. ft. of new commercial spaces will be oriented around the region’s rail rapid transit system.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/metr...-skytrain-2019

Comment

^Also a comprehensive look at how land speculation is paying for major developments and making average incomes priced out of even the regular rental market.
            Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

^I don't understand your remark.

Adding tens of thousands of housing units in the vicinity of Skytrain stations will have the opposite effect. A massive increase in the rental housing supply near Skytrain stations should help keep a lid on rent increases and make housing more not less affordable.

Comment

Unfortunately not the case.
                Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

^Do you have supporting evidence for your statements, or are you making fact free assertions?

Comment

As a long time admirer of SkyTrain, here is a link to an article called '34 SkyTrain facts celebrating the 34th birthday of Skytrain':

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/skytrain-facts-history

One fact (13) I did not know is that the Millenium Line was originally planned as street level light rail. A few times in SkyTrain's history such calamities were avoided. Others were the Broadway extension of the Millenium LIne and the Expo Line extension to Langley both of which will now be built as part of the SkyTrain network.

Comment

As a long time admirer of SkyTrain, here is a link to an article called '34 SkyTrain facts celebrating the 34th birthday of SkyTrain':

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/skytrain-facts-history

One fact (13) I did not know is that the Millenium Line was originally planned as street level light rail. A few times in SkyTrain's history such calamities were avoided. Others were the Broadway extension of the Millenium LIne and the Expo Line extension to Langley both of which will now be built as part of the SkyTrain network.

Comment

Are you saying the Broadway extension itself is a calamity, or that they were considering making it street level? I'd actually never heard that that had been considered.

Comment

^Clearly the latter. Yes, street level light rail was one of the options considered for the Broadway extension. TransLink hired the same consultant (Davies Steer Gleave) that recommended street level LRT for the Edmonton Valley Line.

The light rail option for Broadway was definitely on the table for a while even though it didn't advance quite as far as Surrey LRT before that decision was reversed. There is a lobby group called Rail for the Valley that continues to advocate for street level trams despite all of the evidence that extending the Skytrain network is a better alternative.

UBC and the City of Vancouver always favoured an extension of the Millenium Line to UBC, and their position ultimately prevailed.

Comment

Working...
                          X