Surface routes, higher spending give Calgary system the edge over Edmonton LRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calgary vote buying
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Comment

^ Why are you surprised? The Stampede has turned into a political dog & pony show, where each and every year the premier or prime minister comes to Calgary decked out in western wear to announce some new money for that city.
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
        ^ Why are you surprised? The Stampede has turned into a political dog & pony show, where each and every year the premier or prime minister comes to Calgary decked out in western wear to announce some new money for that city.
        I never said I was surprised. Calgary is a swing city. It's important for any political party to obtain votes from there.

I also wouldn't be surprised to hear edmonton getting a similar funding announcement in the months to come.

You sound upset with Calgary. You shouldn't be.
        The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
        It's heaven and hell!

Comment

It's not close enough to elections to call this vote buying. People will forget the benevolence in couple of months time...

Comment

Calgary City Council made a wise decision to put the Green Line underground all the way from 16 Avenue North to Fort Calgary east of Downtown. And at surprisingly little additional cost:
            BELTLINE/CENTRE CITY Why does it make sense to invest in a tunnel in the Centre City? The tunnel in the Centre City offers the best opportunities for future generations of Calgarians. It allows us to maintain the pedestrian, cycling and vehicle connections in the core, while enabling future development to occur unhindered in our city’s economic centre. The City evaluated a number of options with the cost varying from $1.5B (street level) to $1.95B (fully tunnelled).
            http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...s-may-2017.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
              Its a good event, unlike K days, with its food! that's all k days is, ..
              Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by East McCauley View Post
                Calgary City Council made a wise decision to put the Green Line underground all the way from 16 Avenue North to Fort Calgary east of Downtown. And at surprisingly little additional cost:
                BELTLINE/CENTRE CITY Why does it make sense to invest in a tunnel in the Centre City? The tunnel in the Centre City offers the best opportunities for future generations of Calgarians. It allows us to maintain the pedestrian, cycling and vehicle connections in the core, while enabling future development to occur unhindered in our city’s economic centre. The City evaluated a number of options with the cost varying from $1.5B (street level) to $1.95B (fully tunnelled).
                http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...s-may-2017.pdf
                can calgary planners work here! why can't edmonton figure out how to build lrt properly, yet? just recently, i read that the city approved new intersection criteria for where lrt could cross. uummm, shouldn't that policy have been in place like 15-20 years ago when they first started lrt?
                my friend recently went to one of the open houses for west lrt as they city gathers input about potential under or overpasses. seriously! only now! why waste money and time on an open house. here's how it should work. if intersection x sees a certain threshhold of vehicles today, then separation is required. simple. (but obviously, to complicated for our planners.)

Comment

It's not that the planners/designers don't know what they're doing. They are told to propose a few options. There will always be a cheap, medium and expensive option. Seems like Council always chooses to go with the cheapest option and try to defer things.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                    The Calgary system is low floor, running in the street on center street, just like the new Edmonton system (only difference is the downtown tunnel, which I think will be regretted in time).
                    Stage 1 starts in a tunnel from an underground station on 16 Avenue N under the Bow River and stays in a tunnel through Downtown. The only similarity between the Green Line and Edmonton's MW to West LRT is the use of low floor LRVs. Otherwise, the system design is completely different. Calgary's will be much faster with many more grade separations resulting in much higher ridership.

Comment

• Originally posted by East McCauley View Post
                      Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                      The Calgary system is low floor, running in the street on center street, just like the new Edmonton system (only difference is the downtown tunnel, which I think will be regretted in time).
                      Stage 1 starts in a tunnel from an underground station on 16 Avenue N under the Bow River and stays in a tunnel through Downtown. The only similarity between the Green Line and Edmonton's MW to West LRT is the use of low floor LRVs. Otherwise, the system design is completely different. Calgary's will be much faster with many more grade separations resulting in much higher ridership.
                      stop it, you're making too much sense.

Comment

• Edmonton Transit (or the Transportation Department) thinks slow trains, frequent stops, frequent level crossings are what people want. I disagree, if you really want to get people out of cars, if it's cheaper than a car, faster than a car, why have a car. If you fail on any of those two points why take the train?

Comment

Working...
                        X