Calgary orders new next gen lrv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by highlander View Post
    It's interesting that Calgary's U2s are ready to be replaced while ours will be going strong for so much longer.
    I read somewhere that Calgary's wear a bit faster, as more exposed to the elements (ie no tunnel). They might do more kms as well (as Calgary has the model, until these arrive, of three car trains more frequent).

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
      Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
      We have a bunch of SD70's on the way I Believe.. and the refurb of the u2's carried out bombardier (I believe) put about another 20 years ( I think ) on the u2's
      It's interesting that Calgary's U2s are ready to be replaced while ours will be going strong for so much longer.
      I simply thing they didn't choose to refurb... when they could have. not pretty or new enough for them... The new onews will likely hold more people as well.

They also needed to order more for the platform extensions...

that is my guess.
      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

here is the report where they justify replacing over refurb

http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sire...3043250837.PDF

from the report...

Edmonton
        Edmonton Transit currently operates 37 U2 vehicles that were constructed between 1978 and 1981.
        These cars are now between 27 and 30 years of age, and have accumulated service Km similar to
        Calgary’s cars, but over a slightly longer operating period and under slightly more favourable operating
        conditions (the underground portion of the ET system) and carrying far fewer passengers.
        Edmonton has defined an overhaul program for all 37 cars. The goal is to extend each car life a further
        10 to 15 years
        . The costs for the whole program are made up of the following major systems (costs
        shown are on a per car basis):
        Contracted Services to Bombardier Transportation - $950,000
        New Coupler - $100,000
        New Bogies - $250,000
        New Pantograph system (to address additional power) - $20,000
        New Auxiliary Power System - $45,000
        Wheelchair Ramps - $40,000
        Total Edmonton Rebuild Cost - $1.4 million/car

Most (the calgary report leads to all) existing u2 fleets are or have been replaced.
        Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 17-09-2013, 03:40 PM.
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

$1.4 million/car for refurbishment to extend the U2s for 10 to 15 years compared to $3.7 million/car for replacement with new SD200s with a 30 year life cycle. Wouldn't be surprised if the U2s remain in service longer than projected as the wearable components (coupler, bogies, seats, ramps, etc.) were replaced on the same timeline as the newer SD160s.

And so far as the U2s lacking air conditioning, I prefer being able to open the windows on those few hot and sweaty Edmonton days. Plus, the tunnel is a natural air conditioner.

The City's decision to refurbish the U2s is certainly a defensible one.
          Last edited by East McCauley; 17-09-2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

o no I love the a/c

i am not upset they refurbed the u2's but I love the AC

Comment

Working...
            X