Calgary Flood Aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary Flood Aftermath

So I saw a couple different pictures coming out of Calgary of Ctrain track that was affected by the flood. I'm a bit surprised as I'm wondering what was used for the track bed to allow this.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/LI...481/story.html
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    So I saw a couple different pictures coming out of Calgary of Ctrain track that was affected by the flood. I'm a bit surprised as I'm wondering what was used for the track bed to allow this.
    Pretty much anything. gravel, sand, clay, etc will get washed out with enough water.
    Unless they had really deep concrete piles, you can't stop it.

Comment

I got to see the Saddledome/stampede grounds yesterday from a short distance...

I know the Mayors trying to be optimistic about moving ahead with the Stampede but it doesnt look good. The area still had a ton of water and lots and lots of debris and damaged/destroyed buildings on site.

I will post some pictures once I get them uploaded to my computer.

Comment

^ there was jsut a post on twitter of the horsetrack - they have hoes already working to rebuild it for the chuckwagons. Get ready for the tag hellorhighwater....

the big isuse will be the saddledome - can't see all the electrical being replaced in time

Comment

[QUOTE=chupa;527088]I know the Mayors trying to be optimistic about moving ahead with the Stampede but it doesnt look good. QUOTE]

Please don't take this personally as that is not my intent but you are looking at the situation through "Edmonton Eyes." "Calgary Eyes" see this not as a premanent setback but as an opportunity to show the world what Calgarians can do when they roll up their sleeves and work together. My prediction is that you will see a scaled back version of "Stampede 101" but you will see a midway, the rodeo, the chucks, and other activitites taking place on the Stampede Grounds. The media will turn this into a positive for the event which will carry forward for future stampedes.

I've been a lifelong resident of Greater Edmonton except for a few years living in the High Arctic, and so it pains me to say it but Calgary has a more a more "lets get 'er done" mentality than we do. Not to say that we don't get it done in the end... the '87 tornado was a prime example of this city coming together to support each other and it led to our mayor at the time refering to us as the City of Champions... it was not because of our then winning sports teams. If the flood were occuring in Edmonton my guess is the media would be focused on fingerpointing on why this was allowed to happen on and how the city was letting down it's residents. Just look at what happens when the snow hits and the streets aren't cleared immediately or when the potholes get bad.
          Last edited by edTel; 24-06-2013, 11:08 AM.

Comment

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2013/06...ery-continues/

This is by the Erlton station.

Comment

Agreed, keep in mind the water was still flowing through parts of the grounds at 800pm lastnight. Clean up was occuring on the eastern edge of the grounds while we watched. So the water levels have certainly dropped but are still effecting parts of the grounds.
              Last edited by chupa; 24-06-2013, 12:45 PM.

Comment

No catching the C train to the stampede...
                "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

New roller coaster ride?

This is going to take a lot of time and money to fix.
                  Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Calgary may be doing a good job of cleaning up but there is still a couple of more weeks until the stampede starts. Unfortunately, that could be a couple of more weeks to get more rain. The ground is all ready saturated in Southern Alberta and the last thing it needs is more rain. They should be looking to the sky's and hoping it does not rain for a good while yet.
                    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by edTel View Post
                      If the flood were occuring in Edmonton my guess is the media would be focused on fingerpointing on why this was allowed to happen on and how the city was letting down it's residents.
                      No, I think it would be exactly the same.

If a disaster of this magnitude happened in Edmonton there would be line ups of volunteers, people sending aid, and citizens working to restore everything to how it was before.

Speaking of finger-pointing, already we are seeing some finger-pointing towards governments for not doing anything to protect people's homes in these areas that have been flooded.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                        New roller coaster ride?
                        Oh my, soooo "insensitive".
                        "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

I was making light of an awful situation, a little comic relief but still posted that it would take time and money to fix. Your comments that the disaster will result in an economic gain are false and you fail to understand or even attempt to read the Broken Window Fallacy that is proven over 160 years ago.
                          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                            I was making light of an awful situation, a little comic relief but still posted that it would take time and money to fix. Your comments that the disaster will result in an economic gain are false and you fail to understand or even attempt to read the Broken Window Fallacy that is proven over 160 years ago.
                            "Making light" when people have died? Classy.

I was well aware of the BWF well before you discovered it on Wikipedia yesterday. The difference is, I understand that it has no baring on my comments and you don't.
                            "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

Yeah, right.... There were no people killed along those LRT tracks.

As if you know when I learned about the BWF. I learned it from text books before Wiki and the internet even existed.

You still don't comprehend that your comments that the flooding disaster will have a silver lining of an economic gain is still plain wrong unless you are a profiteer or a carpetbagger.

You can look up carpetbagger on wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X