No announcement yet.

Winnipeg Bus Rapid Transit System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually a BRT system could pave the way for future LRT lines. For example I think it could be a wise move to have a BRT line from South Campus LRT station with a termination stop at W.E.M. or how about a BRT line from Meadows transit center to Southgate transit centre with a stop at Millgate transit centre.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

There will be premium bus service from wem to south campus.. If there isn't already
      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

The thing I find about this premium bus service is that it seems to be on the list of good intentions for Edmonton Transit. I'm aware of the plans for premium bus service, and it would be great for WEM/Callingwood and other West Edmonton neighbourhoods from South Campus station. But has there been much in the way of action?
        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

^ They built a dedicated bus only overpass that gets buses from South Campus direct to fox drive.

That is a pretty big step in the right direction.
          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Comment

^That is a good step forward but I wish they could find a few key areas have heavy traffic and traffic jams and create independant bus lanes that could get the busses past the traffic jams.
              LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

I would love to see that happen! We are moving towards that I believe but not yet.

Comment

We have a long way to go... Examples of BRT from around the world: Los Angeles

NOHO Orange Line Station with the 15 story, 191 unit NOHO Tower in the background

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

The 99-B line down Broadway in Vancouver is another successful example of BRT.

"The 99 B-Line is a bus rapid transit line in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It travels along Broadway, a major east-west thoroughfare, and connects the University of British Columbia (UBC) to Commercial–Broadway Station on the SkyTrain system. It is operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company and funded by TransLink. It is the first and the most popular of the B-Line routes in the regional system. The other B-Lines that followed are based on the 99 B-Line in terms of the use of articulated buses (which can carry 120 passengers) and frequent arrivals for buses. The waiting time for a bus during peak hours on a weekday is 1.5–3 minutes. Most of the buses on this route are built by New Flyer Industries of Winnipeg, Manitoba. On average it takes 42 minutes to complete the entire route, half an hour near the last runs at the end of the night.
                    As of 2010, the route was the busiest bus route in Canada and the United States,[2] with a 2011 average weekday ridership of 54,350 passengers.[1] This number is up from approximately 45,000 passengers per day in 2007.[3]" Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_B-Line

Map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...B-Line.svg.png

To further increase capacity, the plan is to replace the 99-B with a Millenium Line Skytrain extension beneath Broadway initially as far as Arbutus and eventually to UBC.

My spouse and I rode the 99-B just last month in both directions on a Saturday afternoon and evening. It was standing room only most of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                      ^ They built a dedicated bus only overpass that gets buses from South Campus direct to fox drive.

That is a pretty big step in the right direction.
                      Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

True but I cannot see why cars are not allowed to use it as well. It is not that traffic would back up on it going onto Fox Drive. The bridge design is one of the ugliest in the city.
                      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

I thought cars are allowed to use it?
                        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                          They can. The roads on google street view, and there's no signs saying its bus only.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
                            They can. The roads on google street view, and there's no signs saying its bus only.
                            Yep. You just have to move left as soon as you get onto Fox Drive, since it becomes a diamond lane shortly after.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
                              That, I did not know. Thanks for the correction.

Still one of the ugliest underpasses in the city.
                              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by Perspective View Post
                                It opened last april, it is ok, I have used it a number of times and depending on how bad traffic is it saves at most 10-15 minutes, but average traffic only saves probably around 5ish minutes. It is absolutely over built for a bus system (some stations are larger than our LRT stations!) but I think the intention is to upgrade it to an LRT system one day. It only runs on a separate right of way for a portion of the trip. There is no bike path that follows the line.
                                It really goes from nowhere to nowhere. It follows a small portion of the CNR main line which runs directly through the city. The stations are very well done. The problem is that it doesn't go very far. When I had a look last week, it really wasn't, IMO very functional apart from 3 km of ROW which gets the buses by themselves with no other traffic. All they have done was assign certain lanes to the buses and the small corridor. LRT makes far more sense in that the ROW possibilities are far greater there than in Edmonton.
                                Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Comment

Working...
                                X