Ottawa LRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ottawa LRT

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

long range plans:
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

http://www.ottawalightrail.ca/

The Downtown Tunnel
      We have reached the limit. We can no longer add buses to accommodate increasing ridership through the downtown core. During peak hours, buses are often bumper to bumper, moving slowly as they navigate 14 traffic lights, and compete with pedestrian, bicycle and car traffic. The Confederation Line graduates Ottawa to a traffic-separated downtown tunnel, following the success of major cities around the world.
      The largest single undertaking of the light rail project, the downtown tunnel will be 2.5 kilometers long with three stations—Downtown West, Downtown East, and Rideau Station. During construction, day-to-day life will continue as normal, as state-of-the-art mining techniques will minimize impacts on residents and businesses.

Comment

The Alstom Citadis offers a scalable solution that meets our needs today and thirty years into the future. The vehicle can run as a single car, or be joined with multiple cars to meet fluctuations in ridership.
        • Each single car measures 49 metres and can accommodate 300 passengers.
        • 30 vehicles will enter service on opening day—a peak capacity of 10,700 passengers per hour in each direction.
        • With a projected 25 additional vehicles in service in 2031, the system could move over 18,000 passengers per hour in each direction.
        • The system can run trains as often as 1 minute and 45 seconds.
        • Travel time from Tunney’s to Blair will be less than 24 minutes.

Comment

Good on Ottawa. That looks great.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Station designs are superior to the SELRT in my opinion.

Comment

The maintenance/storage facility looks like the RAM proposal

Comment

What a surprise. Brand new project, with maintenance facilities, roadway expansion, land aquisition, thirteen stations with three underground and over 3 km of underground tunnel for $58 million per km less than Edmonton is paying to go to NAIT.
                If anyone can show me a comparable project (substantial ground level) anywhere in North America, being built for more per km than Edmonton's NAIT line I will never comment on LRT cost here again.

Comment

See final numbers on Calgary WLRT... $313 M/ km. I'd also wager that once you add on the other phases of NAIT LRT, the price tag of the full line (per km) will come down quite a bit.

Let's also take into account that the Ottawa LRT line will be built in an existing ROW for BRT for a lot of the way.
                  Last edited by Medwards; 13-12-2012, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I currently live in Ottawa and while this is great news and will definitely be a great new addition to a very good transit system, it boggles my mind why they would choose the same route as the existing BRT line. The BRT line is already quite effective and efficient with buses coming every 15 during non peak hours, and 5-10 during peak hours (OC Transpo bus drivers seem to have their own personal timings these days). That would relatively be the same as the LRT timings, I'm assuming. It's my understanding that they won't be removing the BRT line either. IMO, they could have put off an east-west line and built a more efficient north-south line, but that's just my two cents haha.
                    "What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality" - Plutarch

Comment

What I like about the Ottawa example is that they probably experimented with BRT to find the route that people like to take. Now their BRT is under capacity and they go to the next big step.

Also, a station called "Train"? That's so cute. I would love to try that on a tourist, it would be like "Who's on first".

Eve

Comment

Originally posted by EveB View Post
                        What I like about the Ottawa example is that they probably experimented with BRT to find the route that people like to take. Now their BRT is under capacity and they go to the next big step.

Eve
                        They did create a BRT system first, it helped build ridership habits and they have a very different road and railway ROW system that allows lower cost construction using existing infrastructure like underpasses etc.
                        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by ralph60 View Post
                          What a surprise. Brand new project, with maintenance facilities, roadway expansion, land aquisition, thirteen stations with three underground and over 3 km of underground tunnel for $58 million per km less than Edmonton is paying to go to NAIT.
                          If anyone can show me a comparable project (substantial ground level) anywhere in North America, being built for more per km than Edmonton's NAIT line I will never comment on LRT cost here again.
                          Calgary tried something like that with their 700 million west lot line that cost o..... 1.4 billion

It's also a p3 model so those numbers aren't the total cost... You have to sift through the P3 to get all the actual details.

It's being built on a design build finance maintain model. This means, generally speaking, that the winning bidder will be responsible for designing the facility, constructing the facility, arranging financing for its construction and maintaining over a 30 year period.
                          Upon substantial completion of construction, the government will pay monthly, performance-based payments to the management company over the term of the agreement. Performance standards will be included in the contract with an agreed mechanism for measuring this performance. If necessary, payments will be withheld if performance standards are not met.

The city may or may not get revenue from the system and or the train will be a separate charge from the bus.

Don't just look at numbers without questioning... Do your research
                          Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 13-12-2012, 09:56 PM.
                          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Some more info on the project from an industry standpoint

The total cost is $2.13 billion, with the federal and provincial governments contributing $600 million each. Work on the project will begin in February, and be completed in time for testing followed by full revenue service in May 2018.

http://www.dcnonl.com/article/id53157
                            Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 13-12-2012, 10:10 PM.
                            "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Nice Downtown tunnel. Fully grade separate. High capacity high speed high frequency system. Too bad edmonton is going to opposite direction...

Comment

Working...
                              X