Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary's West LRT (C-Train) set to open this December

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...t-opening.html

Right on schedule. I was in Calgary recently and this line is looking really impressive.

The west LRT is extremely impressive. I cant wait to ride it in December when I am down there.

Comment

The designs of the stations in this line are awesome. Congrats Calgary.

Comment

Jealous =/

Comment

The west line is looking great as well as further additions on older lines too. This is now where our Edmonton ego has to start really kicking in and say, "Let's move quicker and get the SE-W line and NWLRT line building all at the same time and show Calgary what we can do."
          LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

The Calgary West LRT looks great. They're a few years ahead of us, but I think Edmonton is taking some positive steps forward, first with the NAIT LRT, and I'm sure that the SE-LRT line will be starting construction in the next few years. Let's give ourselves credit for at least setting goals.
            "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Setting goals? That seems to be what Edmonton is great at. Lets not forget that lrt to millwoods was a goal we set 30 or more years ago. We also had a goal of connecting West Edmonton mall and the west end to our existing system. Even more telling was that we could've had our lrt to the west end just like Calgary, but we keep changing the goals of our lrt system (seein spinning wheels and making no traction). Meanwhile in Calgary they have stuck with their original vision and look where they are now.
              Edmonton is good at setting goals. So is Calgary. The difference is Calgary sets out to complete its goals in a timely fashion. Edmonton just sets new goals.
              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                Setting goals? That seems to be what Edmonton is great at. Lets not forget that lrt to millwoods was a goal we set 30 or more years ago. We also had a goal of connecting West Edmonton mall and the west end to our existing system. Even more telling was that we could've had our lrt to the west end just like Calgary, but we keep changing the goals of our lrt system (seein spinning wheels and making no traction). Meanwhile in Calgary they have stuck with their original vision and look where they are now.
                Edmonton is good at setting goals. So is Calgary. The difference is Calgary sets out to complete its goals in a timely fashion. Edmonton just sets new goals.
                You are very right. If Edmonton actually stuck to our goals and insisted on completing these goals when they said they would I think this city would look significantly different. LRT in particular, we would have had a much larger system by now for LRT compared to Calgary and the current work would probably be focused on lines that we haven't even considered due to the current state the LRT is in.
                LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

I see your points. Right now, there is a lot of talk at City Hall about these projects, but I think time will tell what kind of action will be taken.
                  "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

while i am jealous calgary is getting a fancy new line, i am optimistic for edmonton. sure, previous elected officials dithered and went back and forth and changed plans. but that's not happening now.

the south extension has proven to be a great success, and nait line is under construction and making great progress and will only make rush hour on the trains more "sardined" .

and despite objections by some on this board, lol, the se to west planning continues. there's no moving back, the promise has been made. people are waiting! lets just wait to see if the funding comes through.

i suspect we will be seeing continuious lrt construction for the forseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                      However, if we had followed through with that goal we'd have LRT running down the CP ROW with line branching east at 28 ave and west at 23rd with a little stub running into the university. I'd rather have two full lines on the southside.

Now we just need the Millwoods line.

Comment

That was the 60s plan. We should've stuck with what we had planned up until 2008
                        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

The West C-Train stations look great. The parkades and utility structures with the randomly diagonal green sticks motif is going to look crazy dated in about 6-7 years. Seriously. But the stations are great.
                          I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

The most surprisng thing to me is the price per km compared to NAIT. Its a much bigger build with elevated track, elevated station, an in-ground station, etc., but it comes out much cheaper per km. Sure they didn't have to dig down into an exising tunnel and "switch" underground, but NAIT seems way overpriced in comparison.

Sunalta station next to the Greyhound is pretty cool with the copper (not a neighborhood friendly design due to scale, but an industrial location so doesn't matter), imagine how much this would have cost in Edmonton?

Last edited by moahunter; 07-10-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

It would've cost the same? I think I've gone over time and time again how the price difference works in Calgary versus Edmonton when looking at the total budget cost. Edmonton's NAIT LRT budget includes everything from roadwork, bus station relocation, utility relocation, multi-use trails, LRV stock and so on, and also required re-work at health science station (tail track) and rework at each of the downtown stations, and all is tallied on a very short segment (3.3 km) of a much longer planned line.... So of course your average / km cost is going to be much higher. Where as in Calgary WLRT, the only cost shown is for LRT line and station, and not the associated roadwork, and does not include LRVs, and is a longer line than just the NAIT LRT.

Of course, I'll fully expect you to forget this by next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X