Why can't we see something like this in Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't we see something like this in Edmonton

Just when you think Edmonton is getting on with LRT, Calgary has to go one better.

Just check out the 5min video simulation of Calgary's WLRT. Not only is the video fantastic, but the routes is incredible. Leaving downtown, it looks like Vancouver's Skytrain, riding high about the city on a guideway, and the line includes Calgary's and Alberta's first true elevated station (16 Street southwest) and Calgary's first underground station (Westbrook).

Would love to see this kind of planning and money being spent in Edmonton on LRT

Here's the link to the video webpage:

www.westlrt.ca

Click on the animation link at the bottom
    Last edited by lightrail; 10-12-2008, 10:13 PM.
    ETS Trolley Buses - 1939 to 2010 - R.I.P.

And they plan to have ALL that by 2012? The city of Edmonton can't even plan an LRT line in that amount of time, let alone build it.

Comment

While they're building their lines, we're scrapping our plans to extend ours to the airport.

Comment

This is so frustrating. Edmonton should be able to do more. Come up with a good plan and go after the funding. Stop pissing around.

Comment

Maybe we should hire Calgary to lobby for funds, design and build Edmonton's LRT.
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Want to know another reason you can tell Edmonton isn't serious about LRT? Take a look at the website for Edmonton's LRT expansions and compare it to what is available to the public for Calgary's WLRT. It's laughable.

Comment

That is a *really* slick video, good for Calgary.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                This is so frustrating. Edmonton should be able to do more. Come up with a good plan and go after the funding. Stop pissing around.
                Agreed. I think that if Edmonton really wanted to get the LRT done, it would. But look at the resistance that Edmonton faces with its LRT. The NAIT LRT could start next spring, and it could probably have it complete by 2011 or 2012.

Edmonton has to be diligent in pursuing LRT. The overhead rail built west of downtown shows that we can build across the river. Take it south from Churchill/Central, and across the river valley through the Mill Creek Ravine. It could then have a stop around Whyte Avenue/Campus St. Jean, and continue east/SE to Mill Woods. This would have less environmental impact, and less property expropriation.

As for the International Airport LRT, perhaps inviting Edmonton Airports and the City of Leduc to participate might spur construction further south.
                "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

I'd like to see the Churchill-NAIT line have a video like the Calgary LRT. It would really sell LRT in Edmonton.
                  "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Is there a reason why Edmonton LRT plan is to go on the ground and not on an elevated guideway in places such as Jasper Avenue and Stoney PLain Road Business area if it goes that way?

Comment

So they make a little video about the C-Train and everyone up here complains because we don't do the exact same thing at the exact same time, for LRT lines that aren't designed yet.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother reading this forum
                      Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

well, my "complaint" is more a comment and a question why our current lines that are being built and being planned do not use elevated track.

Comment

I find it laughable that Edmonton city council talks about having no money for LRT due to the economy, yet Calgary is steamrolling ahead with their LRT expansion.

Then there's our City Mayor Mandel who sees no value in investigating LRT to the airport.

On top of that, ridiculous timelines to get any LRT implemented in this city. At this rate it will be 50 years by the time an LRT is spurred in all major directions in Edmonton.

LRT is a competitive advantage to any city. A good LRT system will attract people and businesses to a city. Look at Calgary.
                          The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
                          It's heaven and hell!

Comment

well, I don't think the LRT attracted people and businesses to calgary. I don't think you really want to have that claim attached to you.

Comment

I find it laughable that Edmonton city council talks about having no money for LRT due to the economy, yet Calgary is steamrolling ahead with their LRT expansion.
                              WHat I find laughable are the gross assumptions made by people that are totally contrary to reality.

Are they shutting down SRLT construction because they don't have any money ? Is the NAIT LRT line that is technically under construction right now being abandonned ? Is Epcor going to use the tunnel under the new tower for a storage locker ? Are they cancelling all the WRLT studies ?

Honestly, how do you come up with such ridiculous conclusions ?
                              Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X