X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
    Originally posted by Solaris View Post
    Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
    Ellerslie will not be the site of any new NAIT campus... that idea has been dead for a while now.

Its not dead its on hold...They still own the land, and are still planning at some point to build it.
    No, they're not... they're not going to build the Ralphy campus out in the middle of nowhere. I guarantee it won't happen. Or haven't you been keeping up on any of the news relating to the closure of the City Centre Airport?
    Dude, That's your opinion. And It may end out working out that way. But if you look at the facts. The land is acquired. The plan is officially still in place! The CoE is planning as tho it is going to happen. The fact is the southwest is not at all transit friendly and this needs to change. And Change quick.

I really cannot believe the lack of imagination and normalcy in this province that would all such a high population density to occur without any transit planning. This is the only place on the planet this would occur.

Comment

• ^ You should read what the President of NAIT said on C2E Ask Forum... There's a little more then just opinion expressed by etownboarder.
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• It's not just my opinion, NAIT has also stated they want to close all of their small satellite campuses around the city and consolidate on City Centre Airport lands... nothing has been committed too, but I guarantee that's what will happen. There is no doubt in my mind.

Comment

It's not just my opinion, NAIT has also stated they want to close all of their small satellite campuses around the city and consolidate on City Centre Airport lands... nothing has been committed too, but I guarantee that's what will happen. There is no doubt in my mind.
          Well the city has not gotten "official" notice of this. A public statement is a long way from reality. Especially as there is no time line on when they are able to construct the new campus at the airport. I read the newspapers man I have hear the news. I work for the city, we get some info not publicly available. And we definately do not make strategic decisions based on comments in the media. There are matter that require negotiations prior to any change in plan moving forward.

Comment

• I understand what you're saying. No official word has been given... but again, there will not... I REPEAT... there will NOT be a new giant NAIT campus built on the southside.

Comment

I don't want more development south of Ellerslie though... at least not anytime soon. The city needs to find a way to stop rewarding people who choose to live so far away from everything. So what if they sit in traffic for an hour? Does anyone care? NOT ME!!!
              What you want, and the realities of what is already happening are two entirely different things. If you take a good look, there is ongoing development on the west side of the QEII already approaching 41st Ave SW, and on the east side as far south as 30th Ave SW (for reference, Ellerslie is 9th Ave. SW). Those developments are already a done deal and well underway.

As for NAIT and the south campus, I was always under the impression that it was to be orriented towards industrial applications, not a replacement for the existing smaller campuses scattered around the city. In fact, the original news realease said the following:

The new campus will feature five Centres of Excellence that will offer a wide variety of programming including: Mobile Crane Operator, Rig Technician, Industrial Heavy Equipment Technology, Roofer, and Forest Technology. Each Centre of Excellence will also have the facilities and capabilities to conduct applied research.
              Regardless of the oppertunities to expand at their current location, it still makes more sense to house the above listed disciplines at the south side location. It is an industrial park after all.

Comment

I understand what you're saying. No official word has been given... but again, there will not... I REPEAT... there will NOT be a new giant NAIT campus built on the southside.
                I understand what you are saying....but until its official there's no choice but to plan. Also, there are a million other reasons to build the LRT to the area, the main one being if it doesnt happen there will be a 6 lane freeway thru old strathcona and the valley into downtown. This would be terribly unfortunate. We need to make a more pedestrian and transit friendly (ie sustainable community) than that. So build public transit even to the suburbs (st albert and Sherwood), and encourage mixed development, so ppl dont need to travel as far. This is what other centers do. You cannot tell people where to live or work, if you don't do what I suggest people will stay car oriented and this community will be doomed, as it will not be sustainable. Interesting how Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver figured this out in the 70's and we still havent. We really need some forward thinking in this town. Notice I didnt say City!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Solaris View Post

Wow this is sooo misguided. I agree we should not expand development into new areas. But we cant shutdown exisiting areas. The ellerslie area already has a relatively high population density. There are a number of 15+ story condos etc. The city has issued high density development permits as this is being developed as a TOD. So ok no LRT then lets build a 6 lane freeway thru Central Edmonton and old strathcona. I wonder which one would be more sustainable, have a lower impact.
                  ummm what?
                  be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

• I was wondering where those invisible 15+ floor condos were too... already built you say? Hmmmm, whatever you say.

Comment

• Weather the NAIT campus happens or not, it has no bearing on the thread. The proposed campus is on the other side of Calgary Trail/Gateway Blvd and as a matter of fact quite far away from the proposed Ellerslie Station. I suggest if the NAIT issue wants to be debated, debate it on a NAIT thread.

Now back to the topic at hand, to a certain degree it's too bad that the station would be located where they are suggesting as it wouldn't immediately be surrounded by higher density residential. There is some already there but then the rest of the area is just vacant land, for now. I do see this station as a major park n ride location as they were also proposing an interchange at Anthony Henday Drive/127 st. right along where the station would be. This of course would facilitate the movement to and from this park n ride.

Overall I like some of the ideas they had at the presentation, especially possible designs of bridges over Blackmud Creek and AHD. If anyone that was there remembers the pics, I would personally love to see the bridge propossed for Blackmud Creek used to cross AHD.
                      LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

I was wondering where those invisible 15+ floor condos were too... already built you say? Hmmmm, whatever you say.

Dude mckewan is full of them right at the corner of henday and 111 for and example. There are a number in rutherford and blackmud creek too. then hope over calgary trail there are a number in summerside. They just broke ground on a massive project between 111 and caltrail south of ellerslie along blackmud creek. Geeze open your eyes next time. Take a look at those office buildings they are building north of summerside between 99th and 91st. The point is it is a TOD! Have you looked at all at the area structure plans. If they are going to build the LRT the city should just zone the land RF1 and let it be a single family area. Otherwise in 10 yrs this will be like Millwoods with people but the LRT that never happend.

I am not saying it should be the highest priority for LRT projects but I am saying that based on the developement and the TOD, it needs to happen. There is more to Edmonton that downtown. Like geeze we all pay the same taxes. Obviously you have not seen how a normal city doesnt transport planning. Between the NIMBYS in this town and the narrow minded its a wonder anything happens at all.

Comment

• Millwoods would've been built more dense had LRT been there. Theres still a chance for millwoods if we get LRT out there soon enough!
                          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                            Millwoods would've been built more dense had LRT been there. Theres still a chance for millwoods if we get LRT out there soon enough!
                            Lol have u seen that new condo hi-rise they are building behind MWTC

Comment

• Originally posted by Solaris View Post
                              Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                              I was wondering where those invisible 15+ floor condos were too... already built you say? Hmmmm, whatever you say.

Dude mckewan is full of them right at the corner of henday and 111 for and example. There are a number in rutherford and blackmud creek too. then hope over calgary trail there are a number in summerside. They just broke ground on a massive project between 111 and caltrail south of ellerslie along blackmud creek. Geeze open your eyes next time. Take a look at those office buildings they are building north of summerside between 99th and 91st.
                              Well not too be picky here but yes Solaris your right, there are a number of condo buildings in the area including a couple right near the proposed LRT station, but no there aren't any 15+ floor condos there unless they are very very short 15 floors.

As well I guarentee one thing, most anything accross calgary trail will have very little impact on the LRT and vice versa. People don't mind walking a certain distance but very few people will be interested walking close to 30 blocks and over a freeway just to get to an LRT station.
                              LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• Solaris i think you might mean 5 story condos. and seriously what kind of people would want to live in a condo where your view out your window is a major highway and a major transmission line? plus you pretty much still need a car, even when the lrt comes you will need a car to drive to the park and ride.

I will concede to you that the area is surprisingly dense. anyone who hasnt been to that area lately you should check it out, quite a few low rise condos. LRT does need to go there and it will be used well(in rush hour at least). the problem i have is that we cant just continue sprawling and just stick an lrt out to it. putting an lrt line in wont bring back the usable farmland or natural wild life. face it every single one of these developments are completly designed around a car and a token lrt wont change that fact. Eventually we have to draw the line.

Also you mention that we all pay the same taxes but i would think that people in inner city neighbor hoods are subsidizing your guyses taxes. building new sewers, roads, schools, and infrastructure isnt cheap. throw in maintenance and damn.

(ps i am a pretty big hypocrite cause i ironically live in a henday hugging sprawl neigbourhood....)
                                be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

Working...
                                X