Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The above-ground train crossings aren't that big an issue. Judging from the current LRT, each crossing stop takes no longer than your typical traffic light, or even less than that. To me, this is yet another classic case of EN AYE EM BEE WHY.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Wow, this one is baffling. Trains are what, 30 second disruptions at best?

Yes, I have my problems with 87th, but that is more for the huuuuge tunnel and bridge costs more than the line itself. But even as a resident of Parkview at the time this was proposed, I was on board with having LRT to the west end. I just think that another route has better potential.

This one....well, it is just simply whining. If 87th was the right choice, I'd tell Laurier the same.
      My hope is that you can finally get rid of the anger in your heart, and fill it with peace, compassion, understanding, and a desire to uplift rather than suppress.

After all, we are all together on this home, this pale blue dot, the "only home we've ever known.”

Comment

I should not paint everyone in the same brush, but Twin Brooks residents (ie. community leaders) do have a reputation of being hardcore NIMBYers.

1.5 years ago they had very vocal meetings when the city wanted to convert land set aside for new schools to affordable housing complexes. Some very silly, sky-is-falling remarks were said in those public forums by the residents. Now they have a new fight on their hands.

4) LRT trains running above ground could devalue adjacent homes and further divide the Twin Brooks community East and West of 111 Street.
        This is what it is all about.....the value of the homeowners' property. Should we blame anyone for protecting the value of their assets? No, not really.

But notice the wording: LRT trains running above ground could devalue adjacent homes

So the battle line is set. Even though there are no extensive studies or solid proof, the LRT could devalue your home. Meanwhile, SW Edmonton will have to bear growing traffic congestion.

Comment

If anything nearby LRT tends to increase home values.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
            Wow, this one is baffling. Trains are what, 30 second disruptions at best?
            I don't agree with the Twin Brooks complaints in general but 30 second disruptions can actually be longer. When the crossing cycle begins and a south bound train goes thru the intersection the guards often do not go back up as the North bound train is approaching and depending on speed (if the LRT must slow for a station etc.) the guards can be down for 1-1/2 minutes or longer.
            Not serious but can be compounded with poorly timed traffic lights in the area.
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
              Not serious but can be compounded with poorly timed traffic lights in the area.
              For some reason it is really annoying waiting for a train too. Like, "why am I so unlucky?"

Comment

I was looking at the Open House presentation for the extension through Twin Brooks (http://www.edmonton.ca/RoadsTraffic/...EXTENSIONS.pdf)

Page 7 shows "Future Interchange" connecting Twin Brooks to the Anthony Henday, adding another entry point to the neighbourhood. Strange its not mentioned at all in the Twin Brooks site.

Comment

Yes, very strange.

Comment

I'm sorry but some of the reasons here border on pathetic, like "2) LRT gates would be disruptive to vehicle and pedestrian traffic" how is waiting for an lrt train to pass any different then waiting for a red light at a normal intersection and it happens once every 5 mins, oh no. AND "3) LRT could increase risk of accidents and fatalities at both entrances into Twin Brooks" this one is the most upsetting, car cause WAY more accidents and fatalities then lrt ever has or will, this is just plain fear mongering!

Comment

I suggest everyone who thinks this is more classic NIMBY to go to the website and pick...

No, I have no concerns with the current proposal.

Comment

i would much rather have a relatively quiet LRT going by my house than more and more vehicular traffic. I dont get it...

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

You're not a baby boomer IanO, that's why...

That generation wanted 1.6 kids, 2.3 cars, and a pastoral picket fence. Transit is not for them, so they don't see the value. It is the same reason why the YXD development to a residential mix gets a rather vitriolic response from the BB'ers...darn condos...
                          My hope is that you can finally get rid of the anger in your heart, and fill it with peace, compassion, understanding, and a desire to uplift rather than suppress.

After all, we are all together on this home, this pale blue dot, the "only home we've ever known.”

Comment

^ Hurry up and into the retirement home!!!! Lets fix this mess.
                            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

thinking about this situation i sorta dread the day i get stopped for a long lrt crossing and then the trains at 34 ave i barely make it to work on time as it is...
                              be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon-14 View Post
                                I was looking at the Open House presentation for the extension through Twin Brooks (http://www.edmonton.ca/RoadsTraffic/...EXTENSIONS.pdf)

Page 7 shows "Future Interchange" connecting Twin Brooks to the Anthony Henday, adding another entry point to the neighbourhood. Strange its not mentioned at all in the Twin Brooks site.
                                There are actually some more detailed engineering studies on track alignment available:
                                http://www.edmonton.ca/RoadsTraffic/...nningstudy.pdf

If traffic simulations show that 9 Avenue and 12 Avenue are problematic, rather than building two underpasses, the LRT track can be put on the east side of 111 Street. Unfortunately, this would probably require more expensive grade separation to cross 111 Street near Anthony Henday.
                                The most sensible solution, however, would be the proposed alignment. Access to Belgravia is similarly limited (single lane egress and ingress only at 76 Avenue, 115 Street and Saskatchewan Drive).

Comment

Working...
                                X