X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South LRT | Century Park to Ellerslie Rd | Planning/Discussion

http://fs10.formsite.com/twinbrooks/form931932513/

RE: SOUTH LRT EXTENSION POSES REAL CONCERNS FOR TWIN BROOKS!

While expansion of the City’s transit system is generally supported, the current recommendation for a route through Twin Brooks raises some major concerns. We understand that extending the LRT meets the needs of our growing population, provides alternative travel options and helps to reduce the environmental impact of automobiles. However, the recommendation going to City Council June 24th to construct the tracks above ground along 111th Street and through two major intersections has serious implications for residents of Twin Brooks.

Unbelievable. Just incredible.
    BobinEdmonton

Comment

I don't think it would be possible to extend LRT anywhere without some neighbourhood opposition.

Comment

Yet a few years ago, Twin Brooks residents were demanding better transit service.
        Yay, summertime!

Comment

Originally posted by IKAN104 View Post
          I don't think it would be possible to extend LRT anywhere without some neighbourhood opposition.
          Agreed. Be it Laurier, or the neighborhoods on the way out to Millwoods, there will always be a few people terrified of it, but just as many, if not more, people welcoming of it (just, they aren't so emotional to have a welcoming party that makes the news).

In fairness, the concern here, does seem to be more traffic related - i.e. there would be a prefence for an underpass or similar, through some busy intersections.

Comment

Shouldn't they be applauding?

Comment

I agree, sweetcrude... and can't wait until the nLRT is in place... the station will be 2 blocks from my place.
              Yay, summertime!

Comment

Are they suggesting that we should have an underground LRT line through the sub-urbs? I'm fine with that, just increase their tax rate accordingly.

Funny how the forms by these community leagues expect only one answer:

Question for Twin Brooks residents - will the current proposal have a negative impact on this community and is there cause for concern?
                No, I have no concerns with the current proposal.
                Yes, the current proposal will have a negative impact on Twin Brooks and therefore I do NOT support it.
                And then they provide a text box for comments only if you oppose the current proposal:
                I (we) do NOT support the current proposal because:

Comment

In all fairness to these people (I work with one of them), the proposed route would significantly disrupt the only 2 entryways into their subdivision, with trains every 2-10 minutes. How are you supposed to drive in and out?

Comment

If the intersections are too busy for that then underpasses should be built. No different than Belgravia road.

Comment

As the trains are going through the intersections can't the traffic lights be co-ordinated north south traffic? Then when it has cleared east west can go through!

Gates don't have to be down that long especially if the station is not right at the intersection.
                      Edmontonian and proud of it!

Comment

If the intersections are too busy for that then underpasses should be built. No different than Belgravia road.
                        The difference is Belgravia is bumper to bumper stop and go traffic all the way to and often past fox drive/122 street in the mornings. This is not the case for 34, 23 or any of the bisecting avenues coming out of Twin Brooks.

Comment

Yes, traffic studies (simulations) will point out any bottlenecks at intersections.

The way the community league web page reads though, it seems they are arguing for more than just underpasses at intersections. Their imaginations seem to be running wild about possible impacts:

1) LRT trains would cross the 2 primary entry points (12 Ave and 9 Ave) into the Twin Brooks every 5 minutes during peak hours, and every 10 minutes off peak.

2) LRT gates would be disruptive to vehicle and pedestrian traffic.

3) LRT could increase risk of accidents and fatalities at both entrances into Twin Brooks.

4) LRT trains running above ground could devalue adjacent homes and further divide the Twin Brooks community East and West of 111 Street.

5) LRT tracks would eliminate 111 St access point to the Esso service station.

6) With two tracks, LRT would be too close to homes on 111 Street West bank.

7) A major LRT failure could become an obstruction for emergency vehicles or for evacuation.

LRT could increase the range of noise pollution for residents in the vicinity.

9) The trees, grass, and hillside on the west side of 111 Street will be replaced by train tracks.
                          It is not like the people who bought houses along 111 Street could not foresee expansion of that corridor - there is a reason that 111 Street is so wide. Ditto for houses built along other transportation and utilities corridors (TUCs) such as the TUC with the Anthony Henday.

In any case, I'd rather see more areas of the inner city receive good LRT service before expansion into the furthest suburbs such as Windermere/Lewis Estates/etc.

Comment

I dismiss arguments three through nine of the Twin Brooks Residents' complaints. (Considering that point #2 is little more than an extension of point #1)
                            However, their concerns about LRT tracks crossing intersections has merit, especially considering the limited access to Twin Brooks.
                            Perhaps the possibility of dropping the LRT below those two intersections should be investigated.
                            Non semper erit aestas

Comment

I think that Twin Brooks should look at the following realities:

(1) LRT will be needed for South Edmonton, and possibly the International Airport.

(2) LRT will have to go through Twin Brooks to reach those points.

If the LRT causes problems for residents of Twin Brooks, they could participate at various stakeholder meetings. Perhaps building the access to 119 Street would be helpful for residents of Twin Brooks, if the LRT impedes access. I think that a tunnel from 9th to 12th Avenue might be needed if traffic and safety concerns are not met.
                              "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Working...
                              X