No announcement yet.

Edmonton Transit Service’s cash-only fare system lags behind other cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the only down side is that smartcards won't do the working poor any good.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
      I think the only down side is that smartcards won't do the working poor any good.
      Three more things "smart" cards will not do:

1. Make the bus arrive on time
      2. Increase the frequency of service
      3. Make crowded buses in peak hours less full

The reason people are abandoning ETS is not because they don't take smart cards, it is because of service problems like the above.

The reason it continues, is because the leadership of ETS continues to fiddle with everything, but dealing with the real problems.

Transit riders are willing to accept some level of inconvenience, but there are limits. How many more stories about situations that have gone beyond the acceptable limits will it take before ETS or more importantly their bosses on city council get their heads out of the sand and do something about it?

Comment

Those "real problems" require money to fix. Smart fares are supposed to increase the recovery of costs via the farebox which is currently abysmal in Edmonton. More fares = more money for fixing other things without having to increase the already heavy funding from the city.
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

The reason people are abandoning ETS is not because they don't take smart cards, it is because of service problems like the above.

The reason it continues, is because the leadership of ETS continues to fiddle with everything, but dealing with the real problems.

Transit riders are willing to accept some level of inconvenience, but there are limits. How many more stories about situations that have gone beyond the acceptable limits will it take before ETS or more importantly their bosses on city council get their heads out of the sand and do something about it?
          Are you aware of the big changes coming in 2020?
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
            Originally posted by Dave View Post

Are you aware of the big changes coming in 2020?
            Somewhat. I gather there will be improvements on some routes and reductions/eliminations on others. From what I heard previously, the overall effect will be some net reduction. I think the frequency on some routes I use may improve, but then where I am they already just tend to have three buses go by at almost exactly the same time so if you miss one you miss all three, so its not working well currently - maybe it will change to four all at once. My sense is shuffling the schedule around will mostly just shuffle the problems around.

Comment

Modernizing transit to better serve more Edmontonians
              November 7, 2019

Increased service frequencies, more direct bus routes and greater flexibility in how, when and where Edmontonians can travel are just some of the benefits of the proposed modernization of Edmonton’s transit service.

Guided by the 10-year Transit Strategy, Edmonton Transit Service (ETS) is proposing several initiatives that make better use of existing resources to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the city’s transit system for more Edmontonians. Specific initiatives include a bus network redesign, related service standards and a modernized fare policy. Input from 40,000 Edmontonians guided the development of the strategy and initiatives.

“We know Edmontonians want safe, fast, convenient and reliable service, and we’re on the cusp of delivering this through key actions set out in our Transit Strategy,” said Eddie Robar, ETS Branch Manager. “This is Edmontonians’ plan. The planned changes will modernize Edmonton’s transit system while providing the city with a solid base for sustainable growth.”

If approved by Council, the bus network redesign would better connect more Edmontonians to where they need to go. The redesign includes different route types to meet diverse travel needs of transit users across the city. The proposed service standards would provide the tools for ETS to make these changes, including when and where to add transit service. ETS will also provide an update to Council on alternative transit options (first kilometre/last kilometre), such as on-demand service.

A modernized fare policy would allow for consistency when setting fares and would set the stage for fair, equitable and affordable service.

ETS will present its reports to Executive Committee on November 18 and Urban Planning Committee on November 19.

For more information:
              edmonton.ca/newbusroutes
              edmonton.ca/firstlastkm
              edmonton.ca/fares

Media contact:
              Rowan Anderson
              Communications Advisor
              Communications and Engagement
              780-690-1605

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

On the bus today to work, I noticed that smartcard readers had been installed. Didn't manage to snap any pictures - will try to on the commute home.

Comment

Image of smart fare scroll further down the page:

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...mart-fare.aspx

Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

From http://takeets.com

The tap on/off fare payment system will be introduced region-wide in phases, starting with pilot testing in fall 2020. The test results will determine when the system is made available to wider range of customers.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...mart-fare.aspx

Comment

Working...
                    X