Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton Transit Service’s cash-only fare system lags behind other cities

Edmonton Transit Service’s cash-only fare system lags behind other cities

Like the one person said - time to get into the 21st century there, Edmonton.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It's frustrating to anybody from out of town. I think Edmonton Transit is probably concerned that poor people would be shut out.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Total embarrassment. We will be 10 years behind Calgary if they can stick to their goal and who is betting on that? They should have something up and running before the valley line opens otherwise they will have to put cash machines at the new stations and who knows if anyone makes them anymore.
      “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

I don’t understand how something so common could be so difficult for the CoE to figure out. Then again then can’t figure out a lot of things so who the hell am I to judge?!?!

Comment

Edmonton Transit will get blamed if it doesn’t act as a social service. We should have people tapping cards to get on the train.

Comment

Maybe ETS could learn how card payment services work in the real world like from Dollarama or your local self serve gas pump.

With ETS's history of having fares stolen, you think that this would have been changed decades ago.

LRT thief stole nearly $2.4 million, one coin at a time
            Salim Kara lugged home $900 a day, built Whitemud Creek mansion
            Edmonton Journal
            This city has spawned many cunning and crafty con artists, but few were as colourful as Salim Kara.

It was 14 years ago that the Ugandan refugee made headlines, but his crime shocked an entire city.

Kara stole nearly $2.4 million from Edmontonians — and he did it one coin at a time.

Hired in 1981 to repair light rail transit fare boxes, he began pilfering coins almost immediately. When loonies were introduced in 1987, he must have thought he hit the jackpot, boosting his take to $900 a day.

For 13 years, he stole, and despite a couple of audits and an incriminating videotape, he got away with it.
            https://www.pressreader.com
            Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 26-02-2019, 11:43 AM.
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...mart-fare.aspx
              Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

^Way late

"as early as 2020"
                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

The Edmonton Transit union doesn’t like anything progressive. It will “take away jobs”.

Comment

The most powerful union in the city is the transit drivers.

Comment

^and ^^ Do you have any evidence that the transit union is in way responsible for alternative payment delays, or is this just a cheap shot?

While it's unfortunate that credit/debit payment wasn't included the last time the ticket dispensing machines were upgraded, there are many other ways to obtain transit ticket books, day passes or monthly passes by credit/debit. Including at hundreds of retail locations throughout the city: https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/ets-sale...locations.aspx

These days I rarely see people using the ticket dispensing machines or putting cash into fare boxes. There are better options for getting transit tickets and passes at a significant discount to cash fares.

Comment

I have been told in person by Jane Batty when she was Councillor how the Transit union bosses told her that unless she backed off progressive reforms of the transit system, they threatened that they would "shut the city down by going on strike"

She told me that they blocked several good ideas to improve transit and make it more efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                          I have been told in person by Jane Batty when she was Councillor how the Transit union bosses told her that unless she backed off progressive reforms of the transit system, they threatened that they would "shut the city down by going on strike"

She told me that they blocked several good ideas to improve transit and make it more efficient.
                          I wouldn’t trust Jane as far as I could throw her. Strong leaders lead, weak ones toss around blame.
                          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

These days, any attempt to block good ideas would be met by an online lynch mob.
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                              Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

I wouldn’t trust Jane as far as I could throw her. Strong leaders lead, weak ones toss around blame.

I wouldn’t trust Edmonton Daily Photo far as I could throw her. I trust Jane Batty more than EDP

Comment

Working...
                              X