No announcement yet.

New proposed revamped ets bus routes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed. How many bus routes cross through downtown or under university, adding 15-30 unnecessary minutes? These areas fall under a 400 m walking distance of LRT.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Thank god I'll not have to commute into Downtown once the redesign is in place. Right now there's a route that goes basically door-to-door that's being discontinued. Sure the 3 blocks N-S isn't terrible but it adds time, making the full travel time only 5-10 minutes less than walking (and that's if I manage to actually get a bus on Jasper in a timely fashion which is a crapshoot, even with GPS buses & an app.)

Instead I'm driving 6km each way to work & enjoying my round trip taking less time than walking or busing into the CBD.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

400 meters is a long walk every day for a senior in a walker or somebody that has cvi/low mobility.
        Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

Thats what DATS is for ?
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

DATS offers no guarantees. You can call two or three days early for.a ride, and they’ll be two hours late.

Comment

Originally posted by envaneo View Post
              400 meters is a long walk every day for a senior in a walker or somebody that has cvi/low mobility.
              Its a standard expected amount for public transit.

https://humantransit.org/2011/04/bas...o-transit.html

Increasing walking distances has many benefits. It affords more express routes having less stops, it means quicker overall transportation times, its more sustainable, more efficient, more cost efficient.

Just an anecdote on how soft we've seemingly become as a society. Growing up in JP the closest bus stop was the TC. 3.5blks away. Nobody ever figured this was a big deal or inconvenient. We had seniors, we had a blind man on the block that walked to this TC, and across a main road every day.

The average walk in a shopping mall or a large box Walmart or similar store exceeds .400m on a shopping trip. Just walking around inside. Use a fitbit and try it.

A person that can't walk .400M doesn't have a mobility problem, they aren't mobile enough to complete basic tasks like shopping. The average Mall even requires quite a walk from the nearest door to the Bus stop or TC. But laughably, and I can never figure this out, there are bus stops every block all the way around a mall like MWTC, but none are really close to it anyway. Meaning the excess stops are fairly pointless and just add time delay.
              "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post

Its a standard expected amount for public transit.

It is? Try walking 400 meters if you have CVI or varicose veins, or walk with a cane etc. etc. Every case is different.

https://humantransit.org/2011/04/bas...o-transit.html

Increasing walking distances has many benefits. It affords more express routes having less stops, it means quicker overall transportation times, its more sustainable, more efficient, more cost efficient.

If one can get out and walk. Lot of folks can't. Even the mayor was saying there will be same amount of buses on the road with the new system and he said, something like "your bus will have more people on it."

Just an anecdote on how soft we've seemingly become as a society. Growing up in JP the closest bus stop was the TC. 3.5blks away. Nobody ever figured this was a big deal or inconvenient. We had seniors, we had a blind man on the block that walked to this TC, and across a main road every day.

We had less traffic congestion as well back then and less baby boomers as we do today. That blind man probably had somebody guiding him.

The average walk in a shopping mall or a large box Walmart or similar store exceeds .400m on a shopping trip. Just walking around inside. Use a fitbit and try it.

There's lots of places to sit down in a shopping mall. Most Walmart's are on a major bus route. I have an app called pacer that calculates my steps.

A person that can't walk .400M doesn't have a mobility problem, they aren't mobile enough to complete basic tasks like shopping. The average Mall even requires quite a walk from the nearest door to the Bus stop or TC. But laughably, and I can never figure this out, there are bus stops every block all the way around a mall like MWTC, but none are really close to it anyway. Meaning the excess stops are fairly pointless and just add time delay.
                That 's just the real world concerns for lots of people is mobility issues. Most malls have transit stations adjacent to them. The reality is, and Mayor Don said it best, "ETS can't be all things to all people." Most of us get that. We have more baby boomers then ever before. Not all seniors have a company/government pension before they turn 65. What's going to happen here in August 2020 is that, transit riders are going to end up paying more for less.

Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

Once the cards come online, will there be a way to measure use at each of the stops and make adjustments?

Comment

Envaneo. Most malls while having TC's adjacent, of course have HUGE parking lots between the TC's or Bus stops and the closest entrance to the Mall and with this involving dangerous movement across a parking lot which most pedestrians don't appreciate as drivers indiscriminately back up out of stalls hardly looking. In most cases there is not even a divided sidewalk between the TC and the mall. The worst navigation, and hardest walk, invariably, is just getting from the TC to the Mall. Then walking thoughout the Mall and Malls typically have flooring that is slippery when wet and hard to walk on for anybody with issues such as arthritis, knee, hip difficulty etc.

My whole point was we are for some reason requiring ETS to have more frequent and closer stops when actually most of the walking any senior or mobility limited person would do is in the act of shopping ow walking to the shopping venue from the stop. Then add that our increasing retail mode is power centers which are worse for walkers, and involve more walking than anything getting to and from the closest bus stop or shuttle.

My other point had to do with the increasing amount of immobility and proportion of people that feel they are incapable of walking.

Finally, no, the blind person I watched often as a child had nobody guiding him. When we offered he deferred as he preferred to keep his senses sharp and only asked that we were quiet when he was passing by. He had a cane and that was it. He had no vision. He never even considered himself handicapped. He made a point of doing everything independently.

"if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Further its interesting that in Europe, that is far less auto reliant, and where people are generally more healthy, less overweight, less chronic disease, bus stops are typically spaced out further for a populace that is physically healthy and able. Theres a disproportionate number of immobile found per capita in NA. Should public transit mitigate that at any expense and inconveniencing all other riders or should society look more at the health problems and preventable health problems that are rampant in our society?

Comment

ETS network redesign launch rolled back to 2021 https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...-redesign.aspx
                        Non semper erit aestas

Comment

Working...
                        X