New proposed revamped ets bus routes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New proposed revamped ets bus routes

Some areas losing bus service altogether like Trumpter and Hawk in the far NW on other side of Henday. No routes shown on new maps. Some without cars will need to sell and move ... one person says if selling moving out of Province ...my realtor said.

Map of downtown new routes so cluttered can’t tell what’s going on. Is the cross city #9 still there? It does not show up on “cross city bus map”. We used it to get to Whyte at 109th from the downtown core on the 9. With that gone I guess I will need to drive or take an Uber.

Admin, there are some posts on other transit threads. Is it possible to move these to this thread? Thanks.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

City's website has been updated with interactive map, dates for upcoming open houses, and an online survey:

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...n=newbusroutes
      www.decl.org

Comment

Neat tool to visualize the new routes https://platform.remix.com/map/2849ae9
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Looks to me as though they spent too much effort on catagorizing routes and not enough on making more crosstown routes - There are some great local almost-crosstown routes that should be considered for upgrades - 132ave, 111ave from westmount to Stadium are decent routes that should be treated as frequent crosstown routes not as just local routes.

And still lots of otherwise useful routes that make too many detours.
          There can only be one.

Comment

It is a cool tool, thanks for that.
            Last edited by Highlander II; 12-04-2018, 11:16 AM.
            There can only be one.

Comment

I've only just started looking at the proposed bus routes on the interactive map, compared to the existing network, so any comments are preliminary.

But it seems that older areas of the city with a grid street pattern seem to be losing routes and proximity to a bus stop more so than new areas with a loopy street pattern. For example, 115 Avenue in Alberta Avenue, 76 Avenue on the south side, 79 Street between Whyte Avenue and 101 Avenue, 129 Avenue north of the Yellowhead, Ottewell Road, and the communities of Riverdale and Cloverdale will all lose their existing bus service.

Comment

I know the City is looking 'future', but that route that runs south on 111th from Century Park to Ellerslie Rd. then goes west to 127th, then north to AHD, east back to 111th then north back to CP, has it running through no populated areas at all. That is, from the western end of MacEwan Rd., 127th and AHD.

True, the future Ellerslie SLRT station and Park & Ride will be on that route, but in the meantime it's absolutely pointless. The current 39, 347 and 331 cover the populated sections of Ellerslie Rd. and area quite adequately now.
                Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Originally posted by East McCauley View Post
                  I've only just started looking at the proposed bus routes on the interactive map, compared to the existing network, so any comments are preliminary.

But it seems that older areas of the city with a grid street pattern seem to be losing routes and proximity to a bus stop more so than new areas with a loopy street pattern. For example, 115 Avenue in Alberta Avenue, 76 Avenue on the south side, 79 Street between Whyte Avenue and 101 Avenue, 129 Avenue north of the Yellowhead, Ottewell Road, and the communities of Riverdale and Cloverdale will all lose their existing bus service.
                  And my neighbourhood of Athlone

Comment

^That's the result of the loss of bus service along 129 Avenue. Plus there will no longer be a bus along 82 Street which is a major north/south arterial.

The entire area of the north side between 127 Avenue and 137 Avenue west of 66 Street would disproportionately lose bus service and proximity to bus stops compared to anywhere else in the city. It's really hard to figure out what the Administration's thinking is here.

Comment

I hadn't noticed it earlier but they say up front in the presentation that central areas wanted better frequent/trunk routes and outer areas wanted to maintain coverage services close to their homes. I though that was simply a point of trivia but it seems as though they may be designing the system that way to be the worst of both worlds.

Whatever they claim to have learned from Jarret Walker (the Consultant that was brought in a few years ago at the start of this whole thing) I don't think they understood.
                      There can only be one.

Comment

I think the system would work better with the addition of two transit centres. One at Londonderry Mall and the other at 82 st & 167 ave. Right now, there's no transit centres between 50th street and 97 street. By comparison, Millwoods has 4, Mill Woods, Lakewood, Millgate and Meadows. That means that in order to provide service in the north central, you either have spoke routes that only go out and back from one centre or have to connect Clareview or Belvedere to Northgate or Eaux Clares.

With the addition of two more Transit Centres, you would be able to connect more with direct routes and have the neighbourhood routes provide better connections while staying relatively short.

Comment

There's not even a bus on 82st, what would be the point of an 82 & 167 transit centre? Although there should be a bus on 82st, there's no good reason why there's a 3.3km gap between N-S routes there.

Londonderry makes a bit more sense since it's a destination for the surrounding neighbourhoods but what it really needs is frequent 66st service, frequent 144 ave service, and frequent 137 ave service with the E-W routes connecting to the N-S routes with simple curbside stops.
                          There can only be one.

Comment

There's all sorts of routes in the Lake Distict (north of 153 ave, south of the Henday and between 97 st and the Manning). They all have to go to Clareview or Eaux Clares/Northgate to make connections to the major routes. A crosstown route from 82/167 down 82 st would make sense. Also, a direct route from Clareview to the new TC and then to Eaux Clares would take care of a lot of the local route connections. Basically extend the new F3 that ends at Stadium and run it all the way north.
                            Last edited by kkozoriz; 17-04-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

That extended F3 would be the ideal way to do it, and 66st should have a similar trunk bus. I would love for that bus to be from Coliseum via 118 but with 66st planned for closure at the Yellowhead it will eventually have to be just from belvedere.

Once you have frequent, straight -line bus routes there's less need for transit centres, you just place stops wherever they cross eachother so that people can transfer easily, with half decent shelters. You can run quite a bit more service if you don't make all buses waste time accessing stations and then sitting there.
                              There can only be one.

Comment

Working...
                              X