Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, not sure how many have been following this and seen this preliminary plan. Set to go before council in November. So new zoning along Whyte should be in for 2018.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...ngagement.aspx
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

I just received this in my email moments ago:Thank you for your continued interest in the Centre LRT Study. We're writing to let you know that the timeline for the project has changed from what was previously shared.Based on stakeholder meetings and feedback received during the first phase of engagement, the project timeline has been adjusted to allow for additional engagement.The preferred LRT route will be presented for public feedback in November 2017 and to City Council in winter 2018 (originally planned to take place before the end of 2017). This will be followed by the development of Concept Plan options, including stop locations and alignment, which will be presented for public feedback in spring/summer 2018 and to City Council prior to the end of 2018. If you have any additional comments, please feel free to contact the project team by emailing [email protected] or calling 311.Best regards,Centre LRT Study Project Team
      Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

The main issue of traveling around Strathcona right now is the odd scheduling of buses- the 7 is perfectly fine, and a VERY quick ride between Strathcona and the middle of downtown... but it only comes every half an hour 90% of the time. Many times, it's actually faster to ride all the way to the U of A, then take the LRT.

It transit was a bit more common (and spaced out properly- see my topic about "fleets" of buses), it'd be much quicker to any LRT station, and we wouldn't even need an expensive LRT station in the area, which would ABSOLUTELY mess up traffic in an already clogged-up area. I can't think of anywhere close that wouldn't mess up the area- you'd have to just close off a side street (and there aren't many North of Whyte).

I do like the "streetcar downtown" idea, which might be even faster.

Comment

It’s going down Whyte.

“At this point in the study, Administration is confident the preferred east/west connection of the route will be located on Whyte Avenue rather than on 76 Avenue.”

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...lrt-study.aspx
          $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

I don't think this line should be even be in the forefront of our minds. We need to get the existing line to Ellerslie and on to Heritage, and the NAIT line should be expanded into the NW if not into St. Albert - and of course the east/west low floor line should be completed and evaluated for it's effectiveness.

I don't see the point of having a train along Whyte just to connect University to Bonnie Doon. They keep wanting to use at-grade trains and using 'creative signal timing' - you can employ 'creative signal timing' with buses as well so they can preempt a signal so they can face more greens as they approach upcoming intersections. No different than a train. And it will cost <1% of the total cost of the train line. Give a bus the power to pre-empt signals and it will only take about 15 minutes to get from the Bonnie Doon LRT stop to the University stop...no quicker than a train line.

Comment

^Completely agree about Whyte Avenue.

Plus the folly of building duplicate infrastructure to connect the Downtown, Legislature and the University when the Capital Line already does this much more efficiently than a on-street alignment ever could.

Can someone on City Council please take the lead in stopping the Administration before additional billions of our federal, provincial and municipal tax dollars are wasted on this foolish scheme?

Comment

Me three. They can think about building an LRT or tram if it ever gets to the point where good, frequent (like, 2 minutes) bus service is over capacity. Until then, a bus can do everything that an LRT can do for a fraction of the cost.
                There can only be one.

Comment

I'd rather we get the tax dollars up for grabs then Calgary. Sure I'm a fan boy LRT advocate. This project is worthy of our support.

Comment

I would rather we use the money for something more worthwhile. Like doing our other lrt plans right.
                    There can only be one.

Comment

The city of Edmonton F--d up with the purchasing of the Thales CBTC signaling system. It wasn't designed to function that way. The CBTC system is designed to function like the Vancouver Sky Train system.

Here are some excerpts by Councilman Caterina and others:

“Going back to 2010, how would someone make that decision to use an unproven technology that wasn’t meant for this particular system?”

Councillor Mike Nickel said this in frustration: “And it’s not even designed for the crossing systems that we put in place,”

The CBTC signaling system is used in over 130 systems and Thales is responsible for about 40 of them despite the incident that happened in Singapore. Imo (and I don't claim to be an expert) the COE should just cut its losses pay Thales what they owe them and move on. That way we can focus on getting Metro fixed and get the LRT out to Saint Alberta and Centre LRT.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3901285/m...ng-big-reveal/

Comment

Update from the City is in that they will go ahead with plans to put the LRT down Whyte Ave.

Comment

love how we're haphazardly laying tracks almost a century later over prior streetcar routes.

Comment

Isn't the decision at this point more like any higher order transit in the area will use whyte, and not 76ave?
                            There can only be one.

Comment

The study, as it currently stands, is for low-floor LRT much like the Valley Line, but through the process I wouldn't be surprised if it merely turns into an express bus like the 100...

Comment

Are they even considering putting it under Whyte?

Comment

Working...
                                X