Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering one of the arguments against the WEM->UofA -> Downtown route via 87 avenue was because it would require a new bridge, and that's apparently impossible, I dont see how a bus bridge will be any different...

Maybe now that funding for the WLRT is up in the air, and bidders seem to be dropping out, maybe its time to re-re-re-review that WLRT plan? Millwoods to Downtown can continue to 121 street and head north in the right of way that's now a MUP, and then maybe northwest towards Westmount, Ross Shep, and the NW Industrial sector? Lots of transit usage out that way.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• I agree

It is like the Administration has to create a make work project for the Transportation Department and companies like SNC, Siemens and others to spend money, not provide good transit.

Like many cities, the best routes with the highest densities of residential and business nodes are already done or un-doable. They grasp at straws at old ideas and go down the list to 2nd rate, 3rd rate and lower grade choices. The law of diminishing returns and increasing costs make the prospect of 'Mega' transit projects unrealistic.

But the Administration has NEVER done a benefit/cost analysis and instead just keep proposing self serving mega transit projects.

Meanwhile they disparage the privately funded Gondola across the river.
      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Safir View Post
        Originally posted by noodle View Post
        It's like the city's plan is written by/for land developers...
        Indeed, sir. Indeed.
        They've picked a bunch of green field and brown field sites to be "Mini Downtowns" or "Major Nodes", those land owners are yelling "CHA-CHING!!!"

Comment

• While I like the idea of the city developing multiple walkable Downtown-like areas, I have no faith in CoE to actually hold developers to such guidelines. I predict a new generation of sh-tty strip malls to be built.

Comment

• 2 million people spread across one Downtown, three mini-downtowns & 21 other minor nodes.

This whole thing is Edmonton to the max.
            Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Six mini-downtowns

Clareview, Mill Woods and the West Edmonton Mall/Misericordia
              Blatchford/NAIT, University of Alberta and Heritage Valley.

21 others

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron_Lloyd View Post
                While I like the idea of the city developing multiple walkable Downtown-like areas, I have no faith in CoE to actually hold developers to such guidelines. I predict a new generation of sh-tty strip malls to be built.
                While the plan sounds good from an urban development perspective, unfortunately I suspect you are right. Over the years I have noticed our city planning is very disconnected from what is likely to happen or actually happens. They do come up with a lot of wonderful ideas that no one seems to want to implement and there seems to be no way for them to get them implemented. Perhaps everyone nods their head, smiles and feels good initially and then it is all quickly forgotten or ignored.

It seems to me to be a big waste of time and money to engage in planning in this way.

Comment

• Having street level trains or busses on Whyte is not a plan I want to see. Spend more a tunnel it from at least east of the tracks to 109th Street.

Comment

• Well based off of my recent experience from Federal Way in the Seatac area a BRT like system is very effective. I took a bus there that loaded and unloaded like the LRT on an articulated bus similar in size to our articulated buses. It was quick and efficient. It traveled from one transit center to another transit center with great connections to their LRT line. Residents used a smart type technology that they could scan at the bus stop rather than on the bus. If we can have that here then it would be great.
                    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by sundance View Post
                      Having street level trains or busses on Whyte is not a plan I want to see. Spend more a tunnel it from at least east of the tracks to 109th Street.
                      You do realize buses are running along Whyte Ave even as I post this right?

I'm not sure what it costs to build an LRT tunnel in 2019 dollars? Anyone know?

Thanks
                      Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

• Well according to the mantra of the COE planners, they claim tunnels cost 3 times that of grade level. Since the SE Valley line is costing $1.8 Billion for 13 km, the average cost of that line is $138 Million/km. Parts of that are elevated, tunneled or bridged. A rule of thumb is $100 million/km at grade, $300M underground using the COE mantra.

Other cities can build elevated or underground lines for fully automated and driverless LRT, roughly the same cost as the sloth slow SE Valley line
                        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• What it costs Edmonton or other cities? Probably $1 billion, others $300 million

And I know there are busses on Whyte, and it would be better if there weren't

Comment

• ^Where would you re-route the existing bus routes? Or would you prefer that Whyte be transit-inaccessible...?
                            “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

• After doing a bit of research the 155m Metro line tunnel was ~$185m in 2010 dollars. If Whyte Ave were to be tunneled at 2010 dollars even from 109th street to Mill creek ravine ~ 2,270 meters, well you can do the math from there. Tunneling for lrt under Whyte Ave wouldn't be realistic. Maybe a trench type system as mentioned elsewhere.
                              Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

• I think the following things could work.
                                (1) Make the right lane between 95 Street and 112 Street a diamond (HOV) lane.
                                (2) Give priority signalling where needed.
                                "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Working...
                                X