X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centre LRT | Strathcona

First sessions: July 12, 20, 22, 2017

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...t-edmonton-lrt
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

On one hand, I'm glad we're moving forward on this.

On the other hand I feel like it's extremely premature & symptomatic of Edmonton's inability to focus on one thing at a time & getting it done. We don't know how the Valley Line will work in practice yet. We've got the west half of it to fund, plus the Metro Line extension, plus the Capital Line extension. It certainly seems like we'd get funding faster with a bit of focus & pruning off of far-off plans & a reallocation of those resources into managing & completing what's on our plate now.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

So what exactly is the current proposed plan for the low floor LRTs to cross the river?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron_Lloyd View Post
        So what exactly is the current proposed plan for the low floor LRTs to cross the river?
        The under-construction bridge. The circulator/centre LRT was always supposed to reuse a chunk of the Valley Line's infrastructure like the Metro/Capital lines do.
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

^ I meant on the west side. The only existing options would be on top of High Level (which to my understanding is rightly reserved by the Province for potential future HSR) or the capital line bridge (which seems unlikely as that'd mean three different lines sharing a single bridge and would require a fair amount of tunneling to get to from what I see).

Comment

That's TBD, as far as I know. The circulator was always deep in TBD-land, which is why I was intrigued when I got the notice in my mailbox yesterday. There's no corridor or alignment for it like there is for other planned lines like those I mentioned. I think this is the start of figuring that out.

Comment

Originally posted by sonic death monkey
              seems sonic might be on to something here.
              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

High Level Bridge initially was on the original plan for the LRT, it is unsure if it will be used if the province decides to use the top deck for high speed rail (or even commuter rail). It is possible to build a tunnel from University to Whyte and leverage the existing LRT bridge.

Comment

We need to get our existing LRT to work reliably first.

The communication system is glitching all the time. One of my kids got on a train heading on the wrong line because it had the wrong station announced on the sign (mistakingly said 'Clareview' instead of 'NAIT'). Similar things have happened to others I know. On a puny system like ours this sort of crap is unacceptable.

Comment

^The trains really have been a mess lately and need to get working properly. It feels like the trains slow to crawl in a number of areas now that they didn't use to. The system really needs to be fixed up.

That said I feel that the city can do more than one thing at once.

Comment

So, this would go along the street, with cars in front and behind it, or in a separate space for just the LRT?
                      They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

I wonder if building an overhead line in the alley between Whyte and 83 Avenue would work. There would be less cost with land expropriation.
                        Last edited by The_Cat; 13-07-2017, 08:40 AM.
                        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

The option I liked was to bring the low-floor off of a Y at 102ave/107st down 107st west on 99ave to connect with the high-level on the current street-car route and down whyte to 83 and then north.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

I look forward to a time when we start asking the right question. It should be: "how can we improve transit in the Whyte Ave area?"

And stop these moronic LRT plans.
                            There is no good reason we should be planning an LRT here.

None.
                            There can only be one.

Comment

Why not?

Comment

Working...
                              X