This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West LRT | Downtown to Lewis Estates | Planning/Discussion

The city has announced the potential route for the wLRT between the U of A and WEM along 87th avenue. Thoughts?

*EDIT*

THE LINK TO THE CITY STUDY
    President and CEO - Airshow.

yup...do it

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

I still thing the numbers are bunk, but let's just get building.

I hope that the billion dollar price tag doesn't deter them from going ahead. The 107th route would have been far cheaper, IMO.
      LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

107th probably wouldn't get many riders. On 87th you could stop off at Meadowlark, Misericordia, and West Ed.

Comment

Actually, you would. 107 would trun south around 149/156 to intersect with the JP center, then to 87th and turn west to WEM.

The main issue of contention around 107 is the feeling that the time between the 2 major nodes of employment (WEM and U of A) would be too long vs any potential riders doing WEM/DT/U of A. I have my opinion, but that will be later...

Comment

Why not build the wLRT through one of the ravines that run under 142 St? In fact, I read somewhere that one of them was slated for a road or a train at one point. But at least fewer homes would have to be demolished.
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Mckinnon ravine is graded for a roadway...it'll never happen. Even an LRT through Mckinnon and Gov't house park would be beat to death by NIMBYs. There is also the issues of how you would enter into Downtown from the Valley floor and missing ridership nodes.

Comment

McKinnon ravine may yet still happen *some* day, but the traffic problems to the west end would have to be insane in order to justify pushing that project through.
                LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Does anyone know what plans are for beyond WEM? Perhaps a park&ride at 87th&Henday, and one more in Lewis Estates?

Comment

Originally posted by highlander
                    Does anyone know what plans are for beyond WEM? Perhaps a park&ride at 87th&Henday, and one more in Lewis Estates?

i believe the terminus would be around AHD for a park and ride....

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Interesting route - a billion dollars is large but would be spent over about 10 years and I can see quite a bit of provincial and federal funding.

Shame no one is talking about LRT to Sherwood Park and St Albert, that would be real progress given the growth in those 'burbs.
                      Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                        Shame no one is talking about LRT to Sherwood Park and St Albert, that would be real progress given the growth in those 'burbs.
                        When "those 'burbs" are either A) part of Edmonton or B) willing to pay for it, it will happen.

Comment

/\AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!

Pony up the $$$ boys!

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48
                            Originally posted by SteveB
                            When "those 'burbs" are either A) part of Edmonton or B) willing to pay for it, it will happen.
                            And why should they pay for LRT? The way public transit is funded by the province the get percapita money... not enough for an LRT line, but plenty to run a few peak hour buses for Post Secondary students. No one else uses the bus, and they don't have to provide local transit to speak of... it's all gravy.

And as long as the province provides highway monies they will have no reason not to drive their cars into Edmonton ( and then complain about the potholes and parking when they get here! )

It has sadly been my experience that people in the satelite communities like the idea that they are "out of the city" and improving links is not on their radar. They want a certain isolation, real or imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by CSR

It has sadly been my experience that people in the satelite communities like the idea that they are "out of the city" and improving links is not on their radar. They want a certain isolation, real or imagined.
                              True. ...but then when roadwork projects that affect their commute or a certain airport debate rears it's head, suddenly hte capital is for everyone and tehy DEMAND a say...

funny how these little burbs want the best of everything, and yet still refuse to pay for it...

Comment

Working...
                              X