Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like the NAIT LRT will be back up running on September 1.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Originally posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
      Any update on the signalling issue with the Metro line ? During the summer service was reduced and it only ran to RAH. I'm guessing that this time was not utilized to fix/ enhance the signalling system.
      https://globalnews.ca/news/5097887/edmonton-lrt-maintenance-central-station-nait/
      Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

• ^ Yep, that was regarding some work, but as far as I know not related to the signalling issue. Some work was also done at Health Sciences on the platform, and at southgate over a weekend or 2

Comment

• http://transformingedmonton.ca/metro...-taking-shape/

The City of Edmonton is digging in on the signalling system for the Metro Line LRT.

Construction and installation of the new system will begin soon and take about a year. Edmontonians will start to see crews cutting concrete and installing wheel detectors, axle counters and other equipment on the tracks between MacEwan and NAIT stations.

“This is a major step towards replacing the incomplete Thales signalling system we’ve been using since the Metro Line opened in 2015,” said Bruce Ferguson, Branch Manager of LRT Expansion and Renewal. “The Metro Line will continue to operate safely while this work is completed and then tested.”

Construction may cause minor changes to bus and LRT schedules. The City will share advance news of any disruptions.

A signalling system controls train traffic. It is responsible for tracking train movements, preventing collisions and keeping trains on schedule. The signalling system also manages intersections by triggering traffic signals, sounding warning bells and lowering gates so people can move through intersections safely and as efficiently as possible.

The City originally planned to use a Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC) signalling system for the Metro Line. CBTC train computers report to a central computer, overseen by ETS staff, to pinpoint the exact location of each train and adjust the speed, spacing and routing of trains. At the time, the City thought the CBTC system was the best way to tighten up train spacing downtown where the Capital and Metro lines share the same set of tracks.

The contractor (Thales) was unable to complete the system. The City opened the Metro Line with an incomplete Thales signalling system in September 2015 by placing speed and other restrictions on trains to keep everyone safe.

The City terminated Thales last spring, and is now involved in legal proceedings to recover costs.

Alstom was hired in the spring to design and install the alternative to the Thales CBTC signalling system.

The alternative uses a signalling technology called fixed-block.

A fixed-block system has been used on the Capital Line since it opened. It controls trains based on sections of track called blocks. Each block is protected by signals that prevent a train from entering an occupied block.

Alstom is extending the fixed-block signalling system onto the Metro Line. This system will offer a reliable service without needing manual interventions like slower speeds, which is currently necessary with the incomplete Thales signalling system.

The City has found a way to tighten up train spacing using this tested technology so Metro Line trains can share the same tracks with Capital Line trains downtown.

Thank you to everyone, no matter your mode of travel, for your patience. In all of the changes, one fact hasn’t changed: The City is committed to providing a consistent and reliable service that meets the transportation needs of Edmontonians.

For more information on the Metro Line LRT to NAIT, visit edmonton.ca/metroline.
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Jebus **** why didnt they just go with fixed block to begin with

Comment

• Because Thales, supposedly one of the best at this in the world, basically lied when they said they could make it work.

Comment

• It was a stupid course for the city to pursue. Again, if multiple suppliers are telling you that you're asking for the impossible, and only one agrees to go along, you should stop and reconsider your plans.

What I wonder though, is if the city will just be ripping this system out in 10-20 years and upgrading both lines to CBTC to increase capacity or add other lines. Why do something once, when you can do it three times?

Comment

• I'm amazed that the city bought into the idea that Thales could somehow get the moving block system of the Metro line to work with the fixed block system of the Capital line.
                  Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

• Not sure why we didn’t just change the whole things over to the new system Thales installed to begin with. Sure it would have cost a bit more upfront... but looking back it probably would have been cheaper and we would have had a functional system years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                      Because Thales, supposedly one of the best at this in the world, basically lied when they said they could make it work.
                      Given everything that has happened, I am a still bit skeptical things will work as planned. However, rather than trying to integrate a different system, the fixed block is probably the better solution. Hopefully it will work, more or less as planned. I do wonder why it wasn't done this way in the first place.

I am sure there is plenty of blame to go around, between a company that either did not fully understand or appreciate what it was getting into and people in the city who put more reliance on what the company said than they perhaps should have. I realize large infrastructure projects are complex, but there also has to be accountability to Edmontonians for all the delays and inconvenience the sub optimal outcome of this project had.

Comment

• How will this affect the underground portion where the two lines converge? Will it be five minutes frequency if so not such a great idea.
                        “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

• A CBTC system would work for Valley because of its (in part) elevated track system.
                          Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

• Looks like some of the traffic signals are being upgraded for the LRT.
                            "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Working...
                            X