This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro Line - North LRT | Churchill to NAIT | Under Construction

Let's talk about the BRT/LRT potential to the north (NAIT et al)

THE LINK TO THE CITY STUDY
    My hope is that you can finally get rid of the anger in your heart, and fill it with peace, compassion, understanding, and a desire to uplift rather than suppress.

After all, we are all together on this home, this pale blue dot, the "only home we've ever known.”

Build the LRT and get it done.

And the sooner the better.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Is the BRT route going to be the future route of the LRT tracks?

Comment

Do LRT properly, Edmonton, and do it now. This is visionary thinking that Edmonton must do if it truly wants to succeed. Don't [email protected] it with BRT.
        [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

Comment

Originally posted by murman
          Do LRT properly, Edmonton, and do it now. This is visionary thinking that Edmonton must do if it truly wants to succeed. Don't [email protected] it with BRT.

BRT done right works....look at ottawa...but yes, these are long term solutions, use long term options.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

AMEN!! Preach it brother!

BRT has its place, but only if it is a longer term solution for a specific area. By the time you invest in the equipment, build the specific right of ways, and then amortize over any period to only then build an LRT, you spend way more in the long run. Design the system with an LRT backbone and then permanent BRT routes that can feed satellite communities and I think we have a winner.
            My hope is that you can finally get rid of the anger in your heart, and fill it with peace, compassion, understanding, and a desire to uplift rather than suppress.

After all, we are all together on this home, this pale blue dot, the "only home we've ever known.”

Comment

The one place that BRT would be fitting in the city is a downtown/SE corridor. It would be very hard to punch and LRT through the Bonnie Doon/Connors Rd area.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                AMEN!! Preach it brother!

BRT has its place, but only if it is a longer term solution for a specific area. By the time you invest in the equipment, build the specific right of ways, and then amortize over any period to only then build an LRT, you spend way more in the long run. Design the system with an LRT backbone and then permanent BRT routes that can feed satellite communities and I think we have a winner.
                Are they seriously going to do the BRT first? What a dumb idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedyturtle
                  Are they seriously going to do the BRT first?
                  For the north leg, yes. The current vision is stagged implementation of BRT first, then LRT if passanger volume increases to a point to warrant LRT.

I would agree that it is an unnecessary middle stage.

Comment

If, and it's a big if, they move quickly BRT can prove useful as an LRT lead in.

It doesn't take much to put down a busway if it's only going to carry buses. Yes, there will be some concrete and asphalt that will be laid down and ripped up later, but if you are looking 5- 10 years on, thats nothing.

You can use conventional buses that are also capable of being used on regular routes and streets. Thus investment in this is investment in the entire system, and again, the buses will be used elsewhere when and if LRT takes over. This is effectively no-cost.

Stations for buses can be put in cheaper and quicker than an LRT station, though if funds are available a atation that will later handle trains can be built. If bus only style stations are used, they can be made in such a way that when it is time to replace them with a LRT station they can be brooke down and reassembled on a different busway.

In the meantime, you get a transit route with stations that people get used to and that feeder routes and utilize. You build the traffic patterns that will help support LRT when it comes. At the same time you don't have to borrow more money ( remember, for all of the Provinces budget surpluses we are borrowing money to pay for the SLRT extension! )

If the province actually ponies up the money, then by all means go with LRT first. But BRT allows us the option of establishing the routes and network at a price we can afford on our own, and then quickly switching to rail at times money becomes available.

It will be 4 years before the SLRT is done, even fast tracked. It is unlikely that even if the city decides to build NLRT before WLRT any sort of construction would begin before 5 years ( barring a billion dollar cash drop from the province. ) If they do WLRT first, as I think they should, it will be another 5 years after that.

My fear is that the city will, instead of building BRT on the northern route now will study the issue to death and not even start on a bus system for 5-6 years. They all ready have been looking at the BRT think for 3 years or more, and seem no closer to actually doing anything than then. The whole point of BRT is that is is faster easier and cheaper to build and implement.

At the very least we should have seen a few special bus lanes and dedicated express routes over teh last few years as preliminaries to dedicated BRT, which could then lead to LRT.

Comment

NLRT

As many of us have been following the expansion of LRT to the south and talking about where LRT should be going I think it's time to really start talking about the NLRT proposed line. If I'm not mistaken it appears that this will be the next LRT project for the city of Edmonton once the SLRT line is completed or near completion.

As far as I recall from reading other posts the proposed stations are as follows

- MacEwan Downtown
                      - Victoria School
                      - Royal Alexandra Hospital
                      - Kingsway Garden Mall
                      - N.A.I.T.

Other than the fact of getting the train above ground should this leg of the LRT not be a pretty quick build considering the distance is substatially less then the current SLRT line. Is there any other stations that would be useful on this line? How far north after N.A.I.T. should the line go? Is only one station needed to service Victoria and the Royal Alex and if so where should the station go? Many questions need to be discussed and answered for this future LRT line. We might as well start now.
                      LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Where would the line come above ground? At GMCC or north of it?

I think your station options make sense if the line runs up 109 street.

I suspect that 97 Street would be used for the northerly leg up to 134 Ave. Wonder where it would go from there

Comment

Originally posted by edmowl

I suspect that 97 Street would be used for the northerly leg up to 134 Ave. Wonder where it would go from there
                          goes under CN tower and the portal would be on the west side of 101st south of 105ave...goes down 105ave to 106st if i recall then up.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

http://www.edmonton.ca/RoadsTraffic/...20Council1.pdf
                            Possible routes

Routes preferred...

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO
                              Originally posted by edmowl

goes under CN tower and the portal would be on the west side of 101st south of 105ave...goes down 105ave to 106st if i recall then up.
                              I see, thanks.

The preferred routes shown on the map seem appropriate, I'd say

Comment

Working...
                              X