87 ave LRT route - the continued discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 ave LRT route - the continued discussion

I'm going to regret opening this thread, but it seems some of you still want to talk about this.

Go.
    Ow

I said this because coming here makes my heart hurt.

Best route IMO. People near the mall will continue driving to the university cause it will be three times quicker than taking LRT. An 87 Avenue line cuts that down a great deal. This also takes advantage of a big investment in Health Sciences/Jubilee. I like the SPR route because it covers large areas of the city but I think in the end the ridership would be equal. WEM and Lewis Estates are pretty large centres. Cutting the ridership time down is what will make these stations and riding public transit attractive to most west end residents. Lots of doctors past the Henday and even those who can afford their Beamer will consider riding LRT if it's easy enough. There is nothing for neighborhoods along this route, including Katz etc can do to prevent the city from building a 87 Ave route. What will their reason be "I Uhhhhhh, own the view and right for it to be unobstructed for, uhhhhh, all eternity?" that won't fly, will it?

Comment

There are also a few opportunities for further density and a couple TODs. 149 Street: 87 Avenue, some redevelopment of the current community at 156 Street, Meadowlark, 159, 170, and along the mall a few places too. Then of course at the eventual endpoint. Houses along the route will gain value and renewal north of 87 Avenue will all see growth. I don't get the hatred for this route.

Comment

But between 149 Street and the University there are nil redevelopment opportunities.

This is the quick, express LRT route and it became less desirable when Council directed that densification opportunities were the top consideration when planning the LRT network.

Comment

i like the idea of densification around lrt stations, but really have yet to see it... unless this slow pace we see on our current line (century park, station pointe etc...) is what is expected of lrt redevelopment. i dont want to be pessimistic but i dont have high hopes of SPR ever drastically transforming, hope i am wrong! for the reason, for me, redevelopment potential that comes along with lrt is not reason enough to reroute a line when current development can benefit.

87ave IMO makes the most sense

Comment

I t happened when they decided that transportation was no longer the primary purpose of our transportation system. transportation's #1 goal was now sustainable redevelopment, which is odd since land use regulations and planning barely acknowledge sustainability, and certainly don't encourage development that supports transit.

I figured out that there are over 100,000 people in West edmonton who would access LRT on the 87ave stations, and who would all benefit from the 8 minute faster trip downtown and a drastically improved trip to the U or the south side. There are about 30,000 people who would be better served by the currently planned route, and most of them could be well served by improved bus service or a streetcar.

Comment

I think if LRT is built along 87 Avenue, it would provide a benefit for those commuting to university. That leaves the west line along Stony Plain Road. Terminate it at 142
              Street or take it north to Coronation.
              "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

I've always favoured this route. All one needs to look at is a map of Edmonton and see where WEM, U of A, and downtown are located. The route would be a straight shot east and then straight north. It would be the quickest route from WEM to downtown, the added bonus is that it would also be the quickest route from WEM to U of A. And it utilizes existing infrastructure once it hits the mainline at Health Sciences.

The argument about needing to hit downtown first because that is THE node is dribble. There are stations in between and U of A happens to be one of them and it just happens to be a node too. Instead we have this circuitous route with bends and angles and doubles back and then needs a transfer ...

Also the argument about redevelopment potential I think is more dribble. Well Meadowlark would be a fine place. Perhaps around the intersection of 149 street. But how about the part near 142 street? Oh no potential there. Who cares? It's only about 400 m between 149 street and the river valley then a bridge to Groat road and then the line is at the Cross Cancer. There doesn't need to be redevelopment potential along the whole line. Look at the SLRT between southgate and CP. Not a lot going on there for a while.

Comment

^ and people think that if LRT is going down Stony Plain road it will change the area over night... ignoring that at the same it will compete against all other urban focused redevelopment in this city. Downtown, Airport, Fort Road, Century Park, Strathearn, just to name a few... but somehow LRT down stony plain road will make this a desirable area, ignoring all the other problems in the area currently. Fail logic.
                  A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
                    I think if LRT is built along 87 Avenue, it would provide a benefit for those commuting to university. That leaves the west line along Stony Plain Road. Terminate it at 142
                    Street or take it north to Coronation.
                    or even further, terminate in the NW industrial/commercial work node area where lots of people already take the bus to...
                    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
                      I t happened when they decided that transportation was no longer the primary purpose of our transportation system. transportation's #1 goal was now sustainable redevelopment, which is odd since land use regulations and planning barely acknowledge sustainability, and certainly don't encourage development that supports transit.

I figured out that there are over 100,000 people in West edmonton who would access LRT on the 87ave stations, and who would all benefit from the 8 minute faster trip downtown and a drastically improved trip to the U or the south side. There are about 30,000 people who would be better served by the currently planned route, and most of them could be well served by improved bus service or a streetcar.
                      some of our current stations have had 30+ years to transform their neighborhood and nothing has happened. i completely agree with everything you stated. The lrt is about transportation not about transforming neighborhoods. It would be great if it could do both, but current proof would tell us otherwise.

I wish this route could be reconsidered

Comment

Originally posted by Perspective View Post
                        some of our current stations have had 30+ years to transform their neighborhood and nothing has happened. i completely agree with everything you stated. The lrt is about transportation not about transforming neighborhoods. It would be great if it could do both, but current proof would tell us otherwise.

I wish this route could be reconsidered
                        And there are plenty of opportunities for redevelopment along 87 Avenue as it is. As Medwards mentioned, you can't expect the whole city to redevelop all at once. Reconsider adding a route down SPR in 30 years. By that time, another west line could be supported between downtown, along SPR to the mall. But for now focus major redevelopment efforts where we've already invested heavily. We must continue to support downtown, City Centre Airport, Millwoods, Century Park or it will take decades before we see the places we envision when we begin planning these projects.

Comment

I'd like to say that the LRT helps somewhat with residential development. There have been mild success stories with Clareview or even downtown. But LRT is only partly responsible for driving residential development. There is proximity to employers (e.g. U of A Hospital, Government Centre) access to educational institutions (U of A, Grant MacEwan) that may drive residential development along the LRT. If a neighbourhood does not have that relationship, there many not be the demand for residential development along the line.
                          "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Put me into the LRT for transportation camp. I'm a fan of Jane Jacobs. She makes her disapproval clear about city planners who think that installing major thoroughfares (either mass transit or auto) in the hopes that people will magically want to use them is delusional. Much better to figure out who wants to go where now and design transportation around that.

It's one of the few things I miss about Calgary that so many of the LRT stops were at places I wanted to be: groceries, major malls, my veterinarian. The stop by Motel Village enables many many tourists to get about to major attractions: downtown, Stampede Grounds, the sports arenas, without having to get in their cars and worry about parking. And many did.

When I rode the LRT here exploring, there were so many stops where there is no reason to get off the train unless you happen to live there.

Eve

Comment

That's the problem here in Edmonton I will admit. The planners have bypassed certain locations that are currently or will be high traffic areas and destination points for a less costly line. 87th ave would be good, due to the ability to have a stop at the Cross Cancer which would be used quite alot I think. I think a new directive has to be in place that even if it costs a bit more they should try to bring the LRT to important areas here in Edmonton as has been pointed out.
                              LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Working...
                              X