Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West LRT | Downtown to Lewis Estates | Conceptual Discussion About Approved Route

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In today's Journal; more evidence that we should re-think planning LRT lines around redevelopment opportunities.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...related-infill
    There can only be one.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
      This made my day. So impressive and well integrated.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
      (from COE PPT they provided to me)
      still wish the system takes less ROW.

Other than crossing arms and a slightly more raised platform, it's not too much different than our LRT. If anything, busses should be allowed in the tram ROW and make use of that space.

Bern, Switzerland has a real good system (in the opinion of a tourist anyhow)...they got bike lanes, shared tram/bus stations, shared lane usage...

Conversely, I've taken the suburb lines in Paris and these are very similar to what we're currently building. These lines were no faster than the Bern lines but as a pedestrian they were cumbersome to get to and the experience felt like taking the metro except being above ground. Few times I opted for a bus instead of waiting for the tram. It does pre-empt signals so that the tram faces a string of green lights compared to Bern's where it waits at most locations.

Comment

• So we might get somewhere on infill along LRT in the net 10 years?: https://www.cityofedmontoninfill.ca/...volving-infill
        Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
          137 ave goes nowhere near Beaumont. Belmont, maybe?
          I always get those 2 confused lol.

For instance, the other day the subject of Mary Tyler Moore came up, I always get her confused with Carol Burnett for some reason.

But you know what i meant
          Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

• Originally posted by Medwards View Post
            Originally posted by envaneo View Post
            Originally posted by Medwards View Post
            just like LRT, BRT has a very wide varieties of ways it can be implement.

Now just to make sure my opinion on this matter is clear - I'm not advocating for BRT to Millwoods or WEM. 30 years ago? yes. Today, it needs LRT. I still want grade separation where I've called for it - but we need to move forward with LRT on this line. Hopefully council/admin wakes the f up before they f up the west end as well, and somehow pulls a rabbit out of a hat and finds a way to correct the 82 avenue crossings.
            137th Ave should be a BRT from end to end. It covers Beaumont, Clareview, Manning, Londonderry, Northgate shopping centres etc and even West Edmonton Mall.
            Yes, that would be a good idea for BRT though I'm not sure I would stretch it over to WEM. BRT from WEM could go to South Campus or UofA and further on to Bonnie Doon (similiar to the 4 route, but without all that local stops.)

BRT could also run up 97 street from downtown (what there's already bus-only lanes??!?!). There's many places we could use BRT in the city that won't be receiving LRT anytime soon.

If you consider - our suburban cities like Sherwood Park, St Albert already run 'BRT-lite' as their commuter buses have limited stops in Edmonton as they make their way to Downtown or UofA, NAIT or GoA, or other spots around the city.
            The difficulty with a BRT on 137th is peak hours and stops running after about 6:30pm. ETS can run that route to midnight7 days a week and it still get riders on it.

The more I'm reading up on the BRT, the more I like the idea. I could even see Jasper Ave get the BRT treatment. That'd make more sense then this stupid Experience Jasper Ave Project.
            Last edited by envaneo; 19-01-2018, 01:24 AM.

Comment

• Can someone explain to me how this fully built out network is going to work?

I live in Lewis Estates and work at the Milner Library Downtown. Albeit a circuitous route but travelling to work I can take a EB train (Green Line) and disembark at the Churchill Square Station.

However, on the return trip home, I would have to take the Yellow Line WB to 105/106 Street Station, disembark and walk several blocks to the 107 Street Station on 104 Avenue, and then take the Purple Line to get to Lewis Estates. How does this make the least bit of sense?

See map below from Attachment 1 of Future LRT Network Report Going to City Council next week.

Comment

• The NAIT line (red) runs in both directions. I assume you'll see trains for Millwoods and Lewis Farms in both directions at the Churchill station. People will simply have to know where they're going and make sure they get on the right train. So you'll get in the Millwoods train on the way to work, and the Lewis Farms one on the way home.
                Last edited by Alex.L; 20-01-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• ^^ Couldn't you just take the #100 Express bus from WEM to downtown?

Comment

• The green line runs past the library as well. That's the Valley line and it'll run Mill Woods to Lewis farms according to the maps and the legend.

Comment

• ^and^^^

But the Green Line runs past the Milner Library going EB only, doesn't it?

Once the network is fully built out, for the Green Line to run in both directions between the Library and Lewis Estates, there would need to be four tracks not two.

Comment

• The green line runs both ways past the library. The yellow line turns south at ~107 st and the green line turns north. You might be looking at the purple line that does not run past the library but does run to Lewis Farms.

You could take the purple (Energy line) from Lewis Farms but it would turn south at 107 street and go to the university. You just need to make sure you catch the Valley Line at Lewis when it's all built out (which is many years in the future).

In a nutshell, there's two line from Lewis Farms and they both go downtown but the Energy Line only serves west downtown while the Valley Line serves all of 102 ave downtown.

Comment

• OK. So the way the map above should be read is that the entire low floor system will be interlined with two different lines running in each direction sharing the same set of tracks all the way from the farthest out (terminus) stations to the busiest stations in the Downtown and University areas?

In most rail-based transit systems, interlining to increase frequency and capacity is only done on the busiest corridors not along the entire network.

Comment

• The only reason why you're confused (or being deliberately obtuse) is because there's no arrows past Lewis Estate. Those arrows denote future expansion, not track direction. And there's clearly no plans to expand west of Lewis Estates.

I know many people have little trust in Edmonton's LRT expansion these days but even they aren't stupid enough to built a 1-way track! Do people here seriously think the trains are going to run back the other way and not pick up passengers? Or that once they reach the end of the end, they will teleport back to the start of the line?
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Originally posted by East McCauley View Post
                              OK. So the way the map above should be read is that the entire low floor system will be interlined with two different lines running in each direction sharing the same set of tracks all the way from the farthest out (terminus) stations to the busiest stations in the Downtown and University areas?

In most rail-based transit systems, interlining to increase frequency and capacity is only done on the busiest corridors not along the entire network.
                              Bingo </IanO>

Just follow the colour to follow one line. Each section of track has at least two lines on it.

Comment

• ^^Not being deliberately anything on my part. That's why I posted the map and asked the question.

I recall knowing about the two line interlining of the entire low floor network in the past. But until I ran across Attachment 1 this morning, it's been years since I looked at the complete network map at full build out. And even being reminded about how it would function doesn't make me think it's any less idiotic. So much unnecessary track length with so many trains traveling at such slow speeds.

Comment

Working...
                                X