Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West LRT | Downtown to Lewis Estates | Conceptual Discussion About Approved Route

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rupikhalon001 View Post

Over the years with the South LRT, how many accidents have happened at intersections ? In fact, how many times has the South LRT been delayed because of an auto accident ?
    South LRT is far, far more separated from the roadway than anything that's not elevated on the tram line. It's entirely in its own ROW, with signal priority, dedicated signals & gates. None of which are a thing for the tram line.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Originally posted by noodle View Post

South LRT is far, far more separated from the roadway than anything that's not elevated on the tram line. It's entirely in its own ROW, with signal priority, dedicated signals & gates. None of which are a thing for the tram line.
      ^ I'm sure it wont be that bad

Comment

^ I'm sure it wont be that bad
        No, the whole lack of separation from traffic is a feature of the Valley Line. Making it more like a bus is by intent, despite the obvious drawbacks.
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenco View Post

Sh*t happens. Crash in west Edmonton creates traffic delays on Whitemud

Other drivers caught behind the crash reported waiting over an hour — in some cases, 90 minutes — in traffic.
          https://globalnews.ca/news/6437894/c...lays-whitemud/
          Shizt happens. Lets mitigate our transit to avoid as much shizt as possible.

I bet you never ride transit
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Over the years with the South LRT, how many accidents have happened at intersections ? In fact, how many times has the South LRT been delayed because of an auto accident ?
            Theres been a few times, however the south lrt is setup in a much different fashion than this new lrt.
            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• So we are spending 4.2 billion dollars on a system that:

-wont be faster than the existing express buses that already serve us using exisiting infrastructure
              -wont be anymore reliable that cars on a road
              -has major conflict points which affect its reliability
              -wont attract new ridership

bravo

Comment

• You are 100 percent right Medwards. It is just spending billions in churning ridership and offers no benefits for travel mode changes.

This is more a benefit for construction contractors, the streetcar manufacturer and the transit union which wields control of public transit.

Read as: Not user friendly and corporate welfare.
                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Oft forgotten in arguments around mass transit are environmental impacts and also the future density of our city. We don't just build for today, so while the car trip out to Lewis Farms may take roughly the same time as the LRT at first, that balance will shift dramatically as development densifies over time and residential areas continue to grow outside of the henday. The development of LRT is also going to provide an environmentally friendly alternative to driving (and provide an option for those who don't own cars, a growing demographic). Busses have their purpose, but for a number of reasons they are simply not as effective as LRT (higher cost of operation, not as weather-proof, not ideal for TOD developers, etc.). Building this line is the right decision for the city and I can't wait for it to really get underway.
                  "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Comment

• Yes, look at all that development around the NE LRT line...
                    This line will not attract new ridership
                    Will not help with a modal shift
                    Will keep car drivers, driving.
                    LRT is locked into a fixed route, buses provide flexiblity.
                    Strong doubt LRT is 'cheaper' - buses don't require billions of dollars of investment and very little in ongoing maintenance and the operators make the same coin.

I don't have a problem with LRT, but I don't think a streetcar should reach out to lewis estates, which is what is being built. A streetcar, hybrid at best.

Comment

• If people want to have a huge house on a huge lot, and a big driveway and garage for their 4 Euro sedans and luxury SUV's, in a low density golf course community like Lewis Estates built outside the AHD and more than 14km from downtown; do not deserve to also get a multi-billion dollar taxpayer funded streetcar to their area.

I supported the NE line because the original only cost $65 million and included 2 massive underground stations, service to the stadium and arena.

Even 45 years later, the development along that route is marginal and the TOD on Fort Road (Staition Pointe) is a complete disaster. Moreover Fort Road has been widened to handle all the commuter traffic while LRT ridership on that route are flat. This proves that unfortunately, a lack of modal shift and the promise of public transit using LRT that has first mile and last mile barriers.

Spending approximately $150 million per kilometer for a sloth slow streetcar to a golf course community is just a farce driven by COE bureaucrats that live in Sherwood Park and St. Albert to benefit huge construction contractors and LRT equipment manufacturers.
                      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• ^ I would agree with you if it was the kind of line that Medwards proposes (pretty much an express train to the burbs that hardly stops along the way). The low floor type of LRT that the CoE is building serves the people who live along the line as much as, and possibly more than, the people near Lewis Farms. If it was up to me the line would stop at WEM and we would invest the rest of the money into LRT elsewhere rather than the burbs. This will densify our city considerably, leading (ideally) to a reduced need for city tax payers to continuously build new infrastructure out in the far flung corners of the city. We will only end up with a more built up city near the core if we have the transportation systems to go along with it.
                        "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Comment

• Makes you wish we had something like this GRT/PRT People mover for nonstop direct station to station automated transit.

Would give the Transit Union a coronary.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinentaxi

Comment

• ^and you've finally come full circle.

Again - I like the streetcar idea - in the built up areas/central district/mature areas.. For the suburbs, you need a different type of service, a fast direct commuter service. This hybrid idea isn't fit to accomplish either purpose very well.

There's this whole hierarchy of transit service for different purposes and needs and Edmonton seems to want to ignore it all.
                            Last edited by Medwards; 21-01-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
                              Oft forgotten in arguments around mass transit are environmental impacts and also the future density of our city. We don't just build for today, so while the car trip out to Lewis Farms may take roughly the same time as the LRT at first, that balance will shift dramatically as development densifies over time and residential areas continue to grow outside of the henday. The development of LRT is also going to provide an environmentally friendly alternative to driving (and provide an option for those who don't own cars, a growing demographic). Busses have their purpose, but for a number of reasons they are simply not as effective as LRT (higher cost of operation, not as weather-proof, not ideal for TOD developers, etc.). Building this line is the right decision for the city and I can't wait for it to really get underway.
                              I suspect you don't rely on transit.

Buses are reliable and flexible. Try using transit some time. I can guarantee you that Eva Cheung does not use transit and never will.

Planners argue they have consulted with residents and yet I can guarantee doubly they have never canvassed the nearly 40,000 commuters who depend on the Stony Plain Road access each day and have no plans to surrender their vehicles to Eva and her mob of well-wishers.

This impending mistake of an LRT must immediately become an election issue for 2021. They're scurrying to ram it through in the 2020 budget but that probably won't work.

Comment

• ^ I use transit every single day

This line has been consulted to death and every single resident of this city had plenty of opportunity to give input. What I'm hearing from you is that because some suburbanites (presumably you included) have "no plans to surrender their vehicles" the city should just give in and built more freeways because that suits your lifestyle. Well that's not going to happen...that 1960s way of thinking is luckily a thing of the past in this city. This line will get built and you might as well get used to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X