Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West LRT | Downtown to Lewis Estates | Conceptual Discussion About Approved Route

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If LRT was voted down, we wouldn't see it for 20 years.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

    Comment


    • The LRT has taken so long to be built. The last thing we need is even more delays.
      LRT is our future, time to push forward.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
        The LRT has taken so long to be built. The last thing we need is even more delays.
        People should have thought about that before voting UCP

        Comment


        • Past governments have tried to tell Edmonton that they “have no money’. Look at all the money that the UCP has wasted so far.
          "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
            The LRT has taken so long to be built. The last thing we need is even more delays.
            I have asked people at the engage events, on Twitter, on this forum, and in person, why this west LRT is such a priority. Nobody appears to know.

            I live downtown and typically visit friends and family near Lewis Farm Estates and beyond. Including bus transfers, it takes about 35 minutes to get to Lewis Farms from near downtown. That includes a Sunday schedule.

            This LRT line is scheduled to take about thirty minutes to accomplish the same feat at the cost of billions and with the added "feature" of blocking full lanes of traffic everywhere west of Oliver.

            My enduring question stands: does anyone demanding this slow train even take transit? I do--I don't even own a vehicle--but the "plan" appears to be creating angry motorists and reduced bus service.

            Comment


            • There has been a lot of money invested in residential projects (case in point, 142 Street/SPR) along the LRT line. The LRT will be great for anyone living along these lines. Even if the time savings are minimal along the LRT line, the frequency will be great (5-10 minutes). With the exception of the 100, how many of these buses stop every two blocks, and at every red light? The LRT will have the right-of-way at the lights.
              "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

              Comment


              • There's also bit of herd psychology going on here. Some people will never leave their cars, but there's another subset of people who look down their noses at the bus, but are willing to ride a train. The city is hoping they will increase ridership all along the route based on people wanting to take a train, and not wanting to take a bus. I would argue that a rail-less ART would work as well against the stigma without laying tracks or wire, but for now the city already has Federal and Provincial buy-in for the more traditional LRT line. Should the Province cut the funding, they may want to revisit things.

                Comment


                • It would be cheaper to buy everyone a car. Do the math. 2.2 B for the Mill woods line and another ~2 B for the west end part. 4.2 Billion dollars - without accounting for ongoing maintenance/operations.

                  That's 210,000 vehicles at 20,000$

                  If we are spending billions to encourage people to take a train because they might not take a bus.... seems kinda ridiculous that we are building a train that won't be any faster than a bus... It's not going to provide that carrot.
                  A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

                  Comment


                  • ^ There can be a trade off in time versus reliability. If a train/ tram wont be faster than the bus, it more than likely will be more reliable. The train will be less impacted by snow/ rain and accidents

                    Comment


                    • How is a vehicle that's unable to change routes & running with as little grade separation as possible less impacted by accidents? It's functionally a big bus that can't turn off of congested roads.
                      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

                      Comment


                      • Cars will be on the street, train will be on rails. Unless the cars are driving down on the rails, how can a backed up lane stop the train ?

                        Comment


                        • Rail will be embedded in the road surface, and although it has it's own separate lane, it will still be subject to accidents that happen at intersections. If an accident happens in an intersection the LRT goes through... what do you think will happen? Train just going to plow through disabled vehicles waiting for a tow truck?
                          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by noodle View Post
                            How is a vehicle that's unable to change routes & running with as little grade separation as possible less impacted by accidents? It's functionally a big bus that can't turn off of congested roads.
                            Sh*t happens. Crash in west Edmonton creates traffic delays on Whitemud

                            Other drivers caught behind the crash reported waiting over an hour — in some cases, 90 minutes — in traffic.
                            https://globalnews.ca/news/6437894/c...lays-whitemud/
                            “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                              Rail will be embedded in the road surface, and although it has it's own separate lane, it will still be subject to accidents that happen at intersections. If an accident happens in an intersection the LRT goes through... what do you think will happen? Train just going to plow through disabled vehicles waiting for a tow truck?
                              Over the years with the South LRT, how many accidents have happened at intersections ? In fact, how many times has the South LRT been delayed because of an auto accident ?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                                It would be cheaper to buy everyone a car. Do the math. 2.2 B for the Mill woods line and another ~2 B for the west end part. 4.2 Billion dollars - without accounting for ongoing maintenance/operations.

                                That's 210,000 vehicles at 20,000$

                                If we are spending billions to encourage people to take a train because they might not take a bus.... seems kinda ridiculous that we are building a train that won't be any faster than a bus... It's not going to provide that carrot.
                                You should be driving down the road with a big smile on your face, because you certainly got your money’s worth from that Camry. Consumer Reports (www.consumerreports.org/) says the average life expectancy of a new vehicle these days is around 8 years or 150,000 miles. Of course, some well-built vehicles can go 15 years and 300,000, if properly maintained.
                                The LRT is supposed to last a minimum 30 years so it is hard to make a cost comparison.
                                http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12040753/n.../#.XiYU5S8TGhA
                                “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X