Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West LRT | Downtown to Lewis Estates | Conceptual Discussion About Approved Route

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By a total coincidence I'm sure, the funding is delayed until just before the next election.

Comment

• Originally posted by maclac View Post
      Exactly! So will you stop being so sad now Paul?...lol
      Well I'll try, lol.
      LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
        By a total coincidence I'm sure, the funding is delayed until just before the next election.
        Oh it's a total coincidence, why would a government put funding out around election time, they would never do something like try to make themselves look good at a time like that.
        LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• By the time of the next election Wexit will be a balot box choice. Good luck with that JK. Bloc will still accept you.
          Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

• Heard a rumour Nenshi could be apportioned to Trudeau’s cabinet. Could have implications for LRT in Alberta.
            “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

• I wonder how many people who voted UCP have ever taken the LRT.
              "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenco View Post
                Heard a rumour Nenshi could be apportioned to Trudeau’s cabinet. Could have implications for LRT in Alberta.
                Even if he isn't, infrastructure funding could become another front in the ongoing Ottawa/Alberta or the Trudeau/Kenney war.

For instance, the Feds might be tempted to put additional funding forward somehow to partly fill the gap created by recent Kenney's budget delay/cut(?) in an effort to look like the good guys for once. If Trudeau "saves" the Green Line, it might help get him back some support in parts of Calgary, and likewise for West LRT in Edmonton.

With a minority Federal government an election will probably happen much sooner than four years.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
                  I wonder how many people who voted UCP have ever taken the LRT.
                  they would have to leave their jacked up pickup trucks with balls on them to do that though....

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                    By a total coincidence I'm sure, the funding is delayed until just before the next election.
                    An then delayed again promptly after that.

It was a common PC trick that they recycled many times.
                    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                      Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                      An then delayed again promptly after that.

It was a common PC trick that they recycled many times.
                      Really? Has the PC (AG) ever denied City of Edmonton LRT funding before?

Maybe I missed it but I'd like to see examples where the AG has.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
                        I wonder how many people who voted UCP have ever taken the LRT.
                        I have many times, and taken public transit in many cities, trust me Edmonton is saving a bit of money right now during construction, but spending a bit more now brings benefits that last many decades.
                        Imagine London, Paris, New York, Tokyo with a streetcar system.

Comment

• You don't have to imagine.

London Trams, previously Tramlink and Croydon Tramlink, is a light rail tram system serving Croydon and surrounding areas in South London, England. It began operation in 2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlink

The Brooklyn–Queens Connector, abbreviated the BQX, is a proposed streetcar line in New York City. It is planned to operate 24/7 on a north-south corridor along the East River between the boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn.

http://Brooklyn–Queens Connector
                          The Toden Arakawa Line (都電荒川線 Toden Arakawa-sen), branded as the Tokyo Sakura Tram (東京さくらトラム Tōkyō Sakura Toramu),[1] is a hybrid light rail/tram line in Tokyo, Japan, operated by the Tokyo Metropolitan Bureau of Transportation (Toei). The Arakawa Line is the sole survivor of Tokyo's once-extensive Tokyo Toden streetcar system, but it is not the only tram line in Tokyo, as the privately owned Tokyu Setagaya Line is also classified as a streetcar (路面電車 romen densha).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toden_Arakawa_Line
                          Last edited by kkozoriz; 27-10-2019, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                            My understanding is that the provincial funding is delayed but not the project itself.
                            Yup. Means it's more expensive in the end as we've gotta pay the debt servicing/carrying costs until the provincial funding is actually in the city's hands.
                            Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• So if the city has to front the 60% - city and provincial portion....does the city take out a loan and start construction? Or can we start with the Fed money first? What are the financial logistics of this thing now?

Comment

• Since Valley line opening day probably wont be until late December 2020, or even (guessing) April 2021, waiting a couple more years to get Provincial WLRT funding in hand doesn't sound unreasonable. It's my opinion the City of Edmonton, in the meantime should look for other alternative back up funding in case Kenney screws Big cities again.

Comment

Working...
                                X