This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deedub35 View Post
    Planning underway for an LRT line to the Edmonton International Airport is "ludicrous" because construction isn't likely to happen for decades, Mayor Stephen Mandel said Thursday.
    From this article it is clear that his royal highness does not understand the concept of reserving right of ways for the future!

Mandel is a true visionary.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Comment

• I agree JayBee... Transportation is definitely Mandels weak point in politics. He seems pretty clueless when discussing most things transportation related.

Comment

• I disagree. Mandel is the first mayor to dig the train out of the ground and actually begin expansion. without reading the article, i would assume that we want an appropriate planning and development system for our biggest municipal transportation needs - like, some of you will agree, slrt, nlrt, and wlrt. he is basically recognizing that we need to save money bcuz the worst (poo) to hit the fan these days is still coming, and the current projects - slrt, nlrt - deserve all possible resources. personally, i believe that the airport lrt concept can be shelved until the other lines are in some stage of final planning, early construction. patience is a .......

Comment

• Without a vision, we won't make plans. Without plans, we won't get anything done. Sounds like my vision of LRT to the airport in the next decade or two doesn't match Mandel's vision, or else he'd be approving those plans. I think LRT to the airport is one of the things I would most like to see this city accomplish in the next decade. Yes, I don't know how much it would cost. But I'd like to know the cost. And, perhaps the city/province/feds could build the line then focus growth along that line... But imagine... asking someone for a ride to the airport and they gladly drive you the 10 minutes it takes to get to the nearest LRT station... nice!

I'd go so far to suggest that they should close the muni and use the extra money gained through better use of that land to pay for LRT to the International. If LRT went to YEG then it would not be so inconvenient to get there compared to YXD (the muni).

Another consideration is: Is LRT best for going to the airport? Perhaps a higher speed train or another mode is better? And, in the interim, I think we need to at least look into having scheduled ETS service from Century Park LRT to the Airport. The airport is far away from the city. The city can either make that a big con for the city or mitigate the distance factor by improving transportation infrastructure to there.

Comment

• Originally posted by DTrobotnik View Post
            I disagree. Mandel is the first mayor to dig the train out of the ground and actually begin expansion.
            Are you sure about this? The approval to bring the LRT to the surface happened before Mandel took office. I believe it was during Bill Smith's reign.
            Last edited by deedub35; 05-12-2008, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• it would be a bigger accomplishment of actually providing edmontonians witha good transportation system, and complete major line works in the city. council just wants to accomplish something.... the thing is, the airport lrt doesnt require the study any other line would because there's a lesser factor for local traffic, and housing and business effects. it's actually easier to plan and build this than let's say the wlrt or nlrt, that's why it's favoured to get done.

Comment

personally, i believe that the airport lrt concept can be shelved until the other lines are in some stage of final planning, early construction.
                Long term vision with some degree of planning is important.

The RDA (restricted development area) and TUC (transportation utility corridor) around Edmonton and Calgary were set aside decades ago and have only recently been developed.

Alberta Transportation is now looking at setting aside land for a future regional ring road for development decades from now.

Having a corridor reserved for a future LRT line to the airport should be no different.

Comment

• Originally posted by deedub35 View Post
                  Originally posted by DTrobotnik View Post
                  I disagree. Mandel is the first mayor to dig the train out of the ground and actually begin expansion.
                  Are you sure about this? The approval for bring the LRT to the surface happened before Mandel took office. I believe it was during Bill Smith's reign.
                  but didn't Bill Smith say Edmonton is a city for drivers? that, aside, Bill Smith didn't have the vision we now have for the other lines

Comment

• Mandel didn't dig the train out. plans and money were in place under Bill Smith.

In light of the SUN poll I am starting to think that Mandel has a significant portion of the city of edmonton figured out (the one which reads and write for the sun). He knows they automatically disagree with everything he does, so he takes stupid positions in order for the sun readers to react and vote for what he actually wants. that way, the people start thinking that they are the ones making decisions.

Comment

• i understand the importance of planning decades in advance - just trying to remind some that we're in a difficult financial time and if it came down to it, i would rather have money go to current and local projects.

Comment

• i dont care about smith. mandel is the now, and the current council is responsible for all new line development so..... weigh in, you want nlrt and wlrt, or airport lrt?

Comment

• Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                          Mayor urges halt to airport LRT line planning
                          Report estimates Mill Woods route may carry $1B to $2B price tag
                          This is a lot of dollars. However, Edmonton should look at more than just the cost. There must be some study somewhere that shows the correlation between light-rail transit investment and economic benefits to a community. Has anyone seen anything like that?

And let's not forget what can happen if you delay a project for a few years that could have been done cheaper if completed the first time it was planned (ie: 23 Ave & Calgary Trail).
                          Where there's a will, there are a hundred ways!

Comment

• interesting read

http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/article.cfm?id=2145

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2000/10...ml#skip300x250

everyone has to go against the current once in a while. but yes, he did bring it out of the ground if anyone still cares
                            Last edited by DTrobotnik; 05-12-2008, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Well, I owe the Mayor an apology - I thought his goal was to push LRT to the airport ahead of LRT to suburbs that need it more urgently (like Millwoods, NAIT and WEM). I agree with him, its pointless doing airport planning now, its like looking at 30 year old plans of Edmonton. One step at a time. For all we know, by that time the Province may already have build HRT (like it or not).

Comment

i dont care about smith. mandel is the now, and the current council is responsible for all new line development so..... weigh in, you want nlrt and wlrt, or airport lrt?
                                Honestly from a cost/benefit perspective?

Assuming it costs exponentially less to build track over open prairie than crossing the river or buldozing through houses/businesses, and...

...Believing YEG LRT would
                                • Enable the drastic reduction of YXD threat
                                • Enable the enticement of a hub to evolve at YEG (Better transport for crew, maintenance and construction workers, less threat from YXD, more attractive to passengers (especially incoming passengers).
                                • Help enable Port Alberta
                                • Assist the Nisku Business Park.
                                • Deflect the threat of HSR skipping YEG.

I'm like, duh, uh perhaps we should maybe not stop planning it.

A healthy airport multiplies every other part of the local economy.
                                Last edited by JayBee; 05-12-2008, 01:25 PM. Reason: format
                                Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Working...
                                X