X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transit Service to EIA | Planning/Discussion

Leduc eyes bus service to capital
    By MICHELLE MARK, SUN MEDIA

Public transit service between Edmonton and Leduc - with stops at the international airport - could soon be a reality if the numbers add up, say officials in Leduc.

Leduc County Reeve John Whaley and City of Leduc Mayor Greg Krischke said yesterday a meeting is slated for next week to crunch numbers on the idea.

CRUNCH NUMBERS

"We're trying to get all the final numbers put together and see what makes sense," Whaley said.

"We're talking with (ETS) transportation to see about leasing buses. We've gotten a lot of our figures from working with the transportation system in Edmonton."

Whaley said he wants to see bus service between Leduc and Edmonton.

"There's obviously a wish or demand for it. As local authorities, we're trying to see if we can make this happen for the people."

If all the numbers add up, a one-year pilot project would be introduced.

In a Sun editorial board meeting yesterday, Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel said he would be all for such a service, but that there's nothing he can do unless Leduc County officials approach him with a plan.

"We can't just all of a sudden decide we're going to deliver bus service in another county.

"We're willing to do it, but we can only do so much."

Mandel also said issues such as where the bus would run from and to would have to be addressed.

"The problem is, buses go from many places. Would everybody go from one spot?

INTEGRATION

"There's ways to do that effectively and it means integrating it and I would think we'd be better off going not just to the airport, but businesses in Leduc could use bus transit, too. But that's up to them to come to the city of Edmonton to negotiate that."

Edmonton city council approved a plan this week to purchase 203 new diesel buses over the next two years.

Funny, Parkland and Spruce Grove have this...what's taking so long? Politics? I think so.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Regional Mass Transit Authority.....
      LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

It would be perfect timing to talk about regional tranist. Strathcona is going to contact talks with there provider and are worried about rising cost. They just raised there fares again. Still not bad, but 73 bucks a month.

Comment

I've been told by many people in Sherwood Park that their service is not very good. I'm assuming that most of their traffic is from shuttling people to and from Edmonton.

As for Edmonton, i believe our service is good, in fact too good in some areas. I remember reading about ETS looking for smaller buses to use in the evenings. Where are these buses? You can basically see empty buses running in the evening in many neighbourhoods. I think they could save a lot of money by buying some smaller buses. I imagine that when the LRT gets extended to Century Park, there will also be less buses required to go from the southside to downtown.

Comment

Originally posted by LO 044
            I've been told by many people in Sherwood Park that their service is not very good. I'm assuming that most of their traffic is from shuttling people to and from Edmonton.

As for Edmonton, i believe our service is good, in fact too good in some areas. I remember reading about ETS looking for smaller buses to use in the evenings. Where are these buses? You can basically see empty buses running in the evening in many neighbourhoods. I think they could save a lot of money by buying some smaller buses. I imagine that when the LRT gets extended to Century Park, there will also be less buses required to go from the southside to downtown.
            there are some routes already in place that uses smaller ford busses.

SP--stop buying laz-boys on wheels! Get two human busses for the price of one you use.

Comment

I use the service it is actually pretty good. The shuttle service though is really good.

Comment

The point being Mandel's approach to regional cooperation seems to be working. The other municipalities are changing their attitudes one by one. The Sun's editorial today "About this bus" is quite timely, however I don't think Mandel needs luck. I think he has the right approach.
                “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Originally posted by grish

SP--stop buying laz-boys on wheels! Get two human busses for the price of one you use.
                  Those buses i know of but they were looking at regular buses that were maybe 2/3 the size of the new blue ones we have. These small buses exist all over Europe but it has more to do with small roads than with passenger volumes over there.

Comment

Those buses i know of but they were looking at regular buses that were maybe 2/3 the size of the new blue ones we have. These small buses exist all over Europe but it has more to do with small roads than with passenger volumes over there.
                    And it has everything to do with the union collective agreement in Edmonton. They use them extensively in Calgary.
                    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Originally posted by Glenco

And it has everything to do with the union collective agreement in Edmonton. They use them extensively in Calgary.
                      i think they are the same size as in Edmonton. they looked the same to me.

Comment

Some are a bit smaller...and the agreements with the ATU do influence purchasing decisions.
                        President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

There is a very minimal cost difference between running
                          the 40-foot low floor buses, and the Elf (para) buses.
                          The Elf buses have a 5 year life span, the big buses
                          have a minimum 18 year life span.
                          Fuel consumption difference is very little actually.
                          Driver's pay difference isn't as much as it was last year.
                          But public perception plays the major role in ETS choosing
                          Elf buses, because the public thinks they cost way less to operate.

What I would like to see is some 30-foot buses for local service
                          to suburban areas like Ellerslie, Terwillegar, even Castledowns
                          and parts of Mill Woods.
                          Yay, summertime!

Comment

Originally posted by Glenco

That's what caused the last transit strike in Calgary... CT wanted to use the smaller buses to save $$$ and the union wasn't in favour cuz the jr. guys drive the smaller buses.

Comment

Back to Leduc for a second, WOW, this is more like it.

A few more positive statements from the county, and I might even get my hopes up for a meeting or something. Who knows what might happen after that? Perhaps they'd put together a working group that will study the number of centimetres the bus will travel in either jurisdiction, and how much air the passengers who don't get off in Leduc require, before issuing a white paper. And after that makes the rounds do you think we might see an open bidding process that invites transit services from around the globe to be sure nobody gets taken for a ride? (Meaning that the price has to be right, of course.) If, and I mean if, things get that far, they might just be willing to have another meeting, you know. From whence they could always issue another statement. The possibilities are endless!

Nice to see Leduc get the old binoculars out to scout the horizon. Honestly here, please keep it going this time. It would have been welcomed 40 years ago.

My vote is that the service goes to wherever the southern terminus of the LRT happens to be, thus currently the University.
                              Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Working...
                              X