Double Decker buses for Edmonton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Decker buses for Edmonton?

Saw a story the earlier today on London picking a new design for double decker buses. I can't find the story now but the picture in the link below is the same bus design. Wouldn't it be neat to have these cruising our streets...

http://www.mygreenwheels.com/journal...ter-buses.html

^I think our "double busses" achieve essentially the same thing, and no worries with low bridges (like high level). The electric is interesting though.

Comment

London is replacing it's old Routemaster busses

With these

Comment

The story I read the other day pictured the cool looking one on the link.

Anyway, a double decker seems to be a more efficient use of resources - fewer tires, less metal etc.

As for going electric - our current buses are a huge source of noise - so I imagine electric buses would eliminate significant downtown noise pollution!!!
        Last edited by KC; 23-08-2009, 07:52 AM.

Comment

50% of a double decker is also unaccessable to an aged population.
          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

^ So how do Londoners deal with that? The age demographic there isn't wildly different from Edmonton.
            Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

don'task me.. I'm just pointing out that there are more convient options. I'm surelondon can't use bendy busses or can use them only on select routes.
              "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

I think the double-decker buses would be great in areas like Downtown/Oliver and Strathcona. They may also work great on the express routes.
                "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

^As I wrote earlier can they fit through high level bridge? If not, I don't think they make sense for Strathcona.

These buses work ok in London for a few reasons. There is limited space for stops. It is very dense - some people are willing to walk up to the top floor to get out of the crowd (I doubt many of Edmonton's "fater" population would), and its just a historic draw for them.
                  Last edited by moahunter; 23-08-2009, 11:00 AM.

Comment

I know that Sherwood Park tried double-decker buses earlier this year, and they fit under bridges and traffic lights. Any Downtown/Strathcona/University bus would have likely have to take the Low Level bridge and go up 99 Street.
                    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
                      I know that Sherwood Park tried double-decker buses earlier this year, and they fit under bridges and traffic lights.
                      I think they were looking at it for the trip to Edmonton (I guess they decided not to):

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome

These types of "inter-city" double decker buses are now used between Montreal and Toronto as well. The logic being, people who go "up" can get a nice view - sort of a touristy thing. That makes sense I guess - more so than in a City, where it is a tough ask I think, for people to walk up stairs for what might be a short journey, after which they have to walk down again. Top floor will be empty, bottom packed, most of the time.

Comment

A requirement for buses is not an ability to travel accross the high level bridge. There are other possbile routes ie jasper ave > low level bridge > whyte ave.

Having said that, I wouldnt mind the option using a street car to do jasper ave and whyte to say bonnie doon. This could be coupled with making both roads more pedestrian friendly and reducing car flow.

Comment

^I still think the "novelty" of sitting up "high" will quickly wear off, once people have trudged up and down the stairs a couple of times. Our "double" buses just seem more modern due to better accessability for everybody.

Comment

By and large handicapped access isn't that much of a problem, yes they can't get to the upper level but plenty of room on the lower level. Another factor I've found when on the top deck is any bumps or dips in the road are amplified on the top level.

Comment

^ Cool! They'd have to provide three-point seatbelts for Edmonton's streets.
                              Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Working...
                              X