Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Transit Study

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...t_Strategy.pdf

As linked. It's a lot of information to take in all at once, but there are some interesting takeaways.

Edit: The original link simply redirects to the main city site so I've posted it as plaintext. I've been having issues with posting since the site redesign.
    Last edited by Foolworm; 06-03-2020, 03:33 PM.

^ I saw the smart fare box on the #8 last night. Its on the front and back exits. Why on the back exit, I have no idea.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...t_Strategy.pdf

Reposting the link. I am very frustrated with the new site software. The original link I posted was truncated so that it only links to the city homepage, and when I tried to edit the post my edits disappear once I log out.

Comment

Originally posted by envaneo View Post
        ^ I saw the smart fare box on the #8 last night. Its on the front and back exits. Why on the back exit, I have no idea.
        Because one thing you can do with Smart Fare cards is have fares based on distance. You tap on and tap off and the price is determined by the straight line distance between those two points.

Comment

And once you have smart fare cards, you can board at multiple doors rather then just the front. Not sure they will do that in Edmonton, but places like Ottawa do allow it.
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

I like how some of the maps in this study reveal the city has a secret plan to build a bridge across the river valley at 87 Avenue to connect WEM to the UofA.

Would that be a high floor rapid LRT bridge?

Comment

Just a bus bridge at this point... but kinda throws out the argument that a new crossing for transit here isnt feasible or possible
              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

^^ The map on page 17 shows a possible future Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) bridge crossing the river valley at 87 Avenue to connect WEM to the UofA.

Unless the City reverses it's decision to route the West LRT down SPR, I don't see this happening for decades, if ever.

Should a 87 Avenue river crossing be considered, it would be more cost-effective and less disruptive to build it as a completely grade separated LRT line with a combination of elevated and underground sections rather than a street level BRT bridge.

Comment

Have the proposed WLRT end at Meadowlark which would be redeveloped along the lines of the proposal at Bonnie Doon. At the same time, extend the high level line from the University to WEM and beyond along 87 ave. Much better coverage, direct connection to University from the west end. Downtown to the University is already one of the busiest parts of the current system. Why make people transfer downtown to double back to one of the biggest destinations in the city?

Comment

Working...
                  X