Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moahunter... These escalators and elevators would be used to connect to the pedways that will link the 2 portions Edmonton Clinic and University of Alberta Hospital together. You will still have the same access from the sidewalk as you do now.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

^Are you sure? If so, that would be an "enhancement" (although no doubt an expensive one, but I guess the clinic will need to be linked for medical reasons).

Often when a pedway or tunnel goes in though, the street grade pedestrian crossing / access goes (to make "safer" for pedeistrians or allow traffic to travel faster). I think the station works really well in its current state, I like being able to simply walk over the tracks and cross to the main entrance of the hospital.
      Last edited by moahunter; 23-10-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

this is the Nait thread..

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
          ^we are back to a temporary station for NAIT? Very confusing.
          The problem is that the new temporary station is in a worse location (at least, temporarily until the airport is redeveloped), farther from most nait students and less accessible from the nearby neighbourhoods, all just to send a signal that the airport closing is inevitable. You won't ever see a cost for this because the original NAIT proposal was over budgeted, but make no mistake- this will cost millions more than the original proposal, along with affecting traffic on princes elizabeth ave, and being less accessible.

If we need so badly to send a signal on the airport then 5 or 10 million to upgrade the Villenueve airport, or for relocation assistance would be far more productive.

Comment

So is any hope for LRT to Northgate dead?
            $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

^hope for lrt anywhere is dead.
              be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

Originally posted by richardW View Post

I am trying not to loose hope...Things look really bad atm. but We need to regroup! We need to contact council and keep the conversation about LRT expansion and sustainability put back on the table. THis is not rocket science folks. Other Large cities are doing it. We just need to work hard to keep LRT and sustainability on the agenda

Comment

Originally posted by Solaris View Post
                  Originally posted by richardW View Post

I am trying not to loose hope...Things look really bad atm. but We need to regroup! We need to contact council and keep the conversation about LRT expansion and sustainability put back on the table. THis is not rocket science folks. Other Large cities are doing it. We just need to work hard to keep LRT and sustainability on the agenda
                  I sent an email to all councillors and the mayor and received some positive responses. LRT isn't dead.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                    I sent an email to all councillors and the mayor and received some positive responses. LRT isn't dead.
                    They're sinking it with good intentions. They've got a good thing going because the way they're keeping the bill from passing leaves no one accountable for it. Endless half steps that never go anywhere. New options that are actually old endlessly recycled.

If you have hope at this point, I'm impressed.
                    Blog: http://www.stormbrew.ca/ | Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stormbrew

Comment

http://atcityhall.blogspot.com/2009/...y-derails.html

LRT tax levy derails
                      City council was not on board for an idea to create a new tax levy for an LRT line to St. Albert.

Coun. Len Bracko asked for council's support Monday for the LRT levy scheme, which would have charged property owners $1 per $100,000 of assessment and shown up as a separate levy on tax notices starting in 2010.

The idea would have meant an extra $4 in municipal taxes for a home worth $400,000. Citywide, the levy would have generated less than $100,000 — money Bracko said should be put into a reserve until an LRT line to St. Albert is viable.

Bracko understood the levy would have generated modest revenues, but argued its mere existence would send a strong message to the provincial and federal governments that the city is serious about LRT.

Comment

NW LRT beyond NAIT has made it's way into the concept phase.

Comment

^That's good, but where has it made it's way into the concept phase, any official announcements?
                          LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Comment

I personally like the St. Albert Trail corridor...it seems the fastest and it would have the easiest time crossing the CN tracks.
                              BUT-if Edmonton is paying for this, to what extent should it serve the communities of Edmonton over just a quick trip to the suburbs of St. Albert...?

Comment

127 St. is probably best suited for LRT. Lots of density already there, and lots potential for new, higher-density infill. LRT could help revitalize the commercial sections of it as well; I've always thought it could be a neat little neighborhood with some care and attention.
                                Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Working...
                                X