This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro Line | NAIT to St Albert | Conceptual Discussion

Does any one know any plans or concepts for the LRT past NAIT? As in to Northgate or to Castledowns, anything like that.

Thanks!

St Albert
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

^ Ultimately. I think the future of this route depends on the decision about closing the City Centre Airport and a World's Fair.
      Almost always open to debate...

Comment

^The NAIT station will only be a temporary station for that reason.
        “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

^Also so NAIT can develop a master plan for the station to fit into.

Comment

naits masterplan is dependent on YXD decision
            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Well, the City should be selecting the NWLRT team within the next couple of days. The RFP closed a couple of weeks ago and the City was conducting interviews last week.

Comment

is there an expected timeline for this NWLRT past Nait? like, should we really be paying for a report that we know will be redundant in 30 yrs when it could finally become relevant?

Comment

North West LRT | NAIT to St Albert | Conceptual Discussion

With all the talk about LRT going on, the completion of SLRT, the planning of NLRT to NAIT, the NELRT extention to Gorman, the planning for SELRT and WLRT, I find it interesting that slowly other interested communities are starting to jump onboard the LRT train.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome

I saw this tv article the other day and I found this a significant and important step to further expanding our LRT system here in Edmonton and now the Edmonton region. The article did state that LRT to St.Albert is not on any higher priority than SELRT or WLRT but I think to me it made a very strong statement. More and more people are understanding that LRT is a very important part of transportation in the capital region and are finally starting to make our council aware that we need this now and not 50 years down the line.

It was suggested that planning/studies for a StALRT line could be started next year and construction still would be a number of years away. With that said though I am really curious as to which would be a ideal line to go out that way. Do we go towards St.Albert north from NAIT? Do we branch off from the future WLRT line? Do we build a completly seperate line leaving from the downtown core to head to St.Albert?

Funding for the StALRT would also be interesting because now you have two seperate cities building one line. Now other regions around Canada and the U.S. have done it but it is a new thing for Edmonton. I'm assuming that purhaps the Capital Regional Planning Board may need to be involved in this or is it as simple as we will built the line up to our border and they build the LRT lines into and throughout St.Albert themselves?

Even though we are in a very preliminary stage of this new direction that LRT is desired I think it is great to hear as hopefully this will only continue to push Edmonton city council, and now St.Albert city council to want LRT planning and construction continue to grow and grow.
                  LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

St Albert has always been the ultimate justification for the NAIT line. There isn't good access from downtown to St Albert (unlike Sherwood Park), so an LRT line will do very well to there. When you tie in that it will benefit Castledowns, and take a ton of traffic off the roads, I think it has always been seen as a good ultimate goal. I would presume St Albert would pay the cost from Castledowns.

Comment

You would think what moahunter is saying is true, but consider that sherwood park and st albert are relatively the same size, yet Sherwood Park has double the transit riders? I think a line out to sherwood park would be just as supported as st albert, if not more.

Comment

^I was surprised to learn that recently - you might be right. And, if Millwoods gets built next after NAIT per Mandel (who rarely mentions WLRT), then Sherwood Park would be an easy / short link (depending on the Millwoods route).

Comment

Does the Park have more transit ridders, because their current commuter system is beter than saint albert, or is it because St Albert is anti Transit.. Ridership numbers only give you part of the picture.
                          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

^I was thinking as well - maybe the reason Sherwood Park is higher, is that transit actually works better, because of the better access to Edmonton. A bus from Sherwood Park to downtown Edmonton, must be reasonably quick and pleasent, whereas I expect a bus from St Albert to Edmonton downtown is stuck in slow moving traffic most of the way. In this respect, LRT from St Albert to downtown Edmonton could exceed expectations on ridership, as for the first time ever, there would be a good link in.

Comment

I would GUESS that the Park also has more duel income households. thusly more commuting.

I am pulling that one right out of my bottom though.
                              "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Working...
                              X