• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East LRT | Downtown to Sherwood Park | Discussion

Here's Sherwood Park's take on the LRT.

Strathcona (County) still waiting for LRT

Posted By Michael Di Massa, Sherwood Park News Staff

With the announcements earlier this month of LRT extension line plans in Edmonton, those hoping for news of a rail line coming into Sherwood Park will have to keep waiting.

“It’s still in the mix, in terms of looking at the total LRT network system,” Edmonton transit general manager Bob Boutilier said of any potential rail line heading into the Park.

A report due in June to the Edmonton city council includes a map of potential rail lines, including one stretching from the University of Alberta towards Sherwood Park — an extension of the proposed LRT route to Millwoods.

http://www.sherwoodparknews.com/Arti...aspx?e=1575556
    Last edited by The_Cat; 20-05-2009, 11:25 PM.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Wait a second. I thought that Sherwood park was a real city, independent of anyone around them. So why do they depend on us to build LRT their way?

If they want it they can build the whole darn thing themselves, and pay 100% for everything east of 50th street, and 50% from there to Bonney Doon or so.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
      Wait a second. I thought that Sherwood park was a real city, independent of anyone around them. So why do they depend on us to build LRT their way?

If they want it they can build the whole darn thing themselves, and pay 100% for everything east of 50th street, and 50% from there to Bonney Doon or so.
      agreed. When Edmonton wants them to join and become one big city they say no, but they expect to have lrt built to their door ? haha

Comment

Originally posted by Perspective View Post
        agreed. When Edmonton wants them to join and become one big city they say no, but they expect to have lrt built to their door ? haha
        Agreed with both of you. Why in the world would we fund an LRT track to Sherwood Park or St. Albert without them footing 1/2 the costs?

Comment

Yup. Sherwood Park can suck it up and foot the damn bill.

Comment

I'd love to have LRT in SC but I'd have to agree with the article that it makes a lot more sense to go elsewhere first.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
              I think if the Millwoods line went via Dawson / Capilano / 50 street, it really is only a hop, skip and a jump to Sherwood Park. I guess that's not the Dawson proposed route though.

I guess they could pay the cost to link if they want it sooner - and apply for Federal and Provincial funding to help out, just like we do.
              Last edited by moahunter; 21-05-2009, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Ha ha. We haven't built a line to West Edmonton Mall or Mill Woods yet.

Was anyone in Sherwood Park honestly expecting it?

Comment

oh look who has come knocking...

we pay to our city limits, they pay the rest.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post

Who's suggesting otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post

Why would we even pay that far? anything past capilano mall is far more useful to them than it is to us, and they would be the majority of riders all the way to wherever it joins the Millwoods line.

Comment

The hostility towards Sherwood Park on these boards is getting completely ridiculous. The article says nothing about how it will be funded and no one in SP is demanding LRT or even expecting it. Did any of you actually read it? It merely discusses the possibility of LRT going to SP sometime in the future, and Boutillier pretty clearly states that it would be one of the last lines built.

Honestly, every time I see a mention of SP on these boards the past couple of weeks, it's immediately followed by 20 posts of people deriding the community. Get over yourselves already.

Comment

^regardless of who it is, i am fed up with how our billion municipalities suck at working together rather than being selfish bastards.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

A line to Sherwood Park would need to have stops at Esso and Petro-Can. Shift workers would keep that line going 24 hours a day.
                            "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

"the Sherwood Park area doesn’t appear to have the ridership to warrant building the LRT extension...
                              the Sherwood Park line would probably be one of the last lines to build..."

nuff said

Comment

Working...
                              X