X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thatguy
    replied
    standard gauge. but the trains are very narrow; i was in waterloo and hopped on board their trains which is the same model edm chose.

Leave a comment:

• RichardS
    replied
    Thank you. I thought so, but I had a conversation lately where I was told the gauge was intentionally different. I didn't believe it.

Leave a comment:

• kcantor
    replied
    "...the standard railroad gauge in the U.S.—4 feet, 8.5 inches—derives from the way that rail lines were built in England, where engineers based the width of their railroads on the spacing of road ruts in Imperial Rome, which were in turn designed to accommodate the size of horses’ rear ends. Holohan then writes that one of the first manufacturers of spaceship rocket boosters in the U.S. built them to ensure that they would fit into train tunnels, which are slightly wider than the standard rail gauge. Based on these suppositions, Holohan concludes with a pithy line: “Ancient horse’s asses control almost everything and…. CURRENT Horses Asses are controlling everything else.”

https://slate.com/technology/2019/10...interview.html

Leave a comment:

• kkozoriz
    replied
    Standard gauge, 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)

Leave a comment:

• RichardS
    replied
    Silly q, but I can't remember if the gauge of this rail line is the same as the previous line.

Leave a comment:

• The_Cat
    replied
    No more pedestrian bridge on Connors Road.

Leave a comment:

• The_Cat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The_Cat
    replied
    Moore suspension cables for the Tawatina Bridge.

Leave a comment:

• The_Cat
    replied
    I saw an LRT signal light at the lights next to Grey Nuns station. Very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• booster
    replied
    Nice pics.. Glad it's still moving along. Will be nice to have 102 Ave open again.

Leave a comment:

• Edmcowboy11
    replied
    Taken April 16, 2020

20200416_175321
    by Paul Smolik, on Flickr

20200416_175340

Taken April 20, 2020

construction_7

construction_8

construction_9

construction_10

construction_12

Leave a comment:

• The_Cat
    replied
    The third set of cables are going up in the Tawatina Bodge.

Leave a comment:

• The_Cat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kcantor
    replied
    Originally posted by GranaryMan View Post
    Every time I drive past this thing I wonder why the main pillars are not more central in the river to allow for only one pier instead of two. Is there an engineering reason behind this, or is it an optical illusion?
    the new bridge is in the same location as the old footbridge. it’s my understanding that the new piers are in the same location as the old ones so that new approvals from fisheries and oceans in ottawa didn’t need to be obtained as the river is a federal water way.
    Last edited by kcantor; 19-04-2020, 07:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GranaryMan
    replied
    Every time I drive past this thing I wonder why the main pillars are not more central in the river to allow for only one pier instead of two. Is there an engineering reason behind this, or is it an optical illusion?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X