Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really? Through the entire site? I happen to work late nights myself lots and there are plenty of sites where I see workers during the day time, that during the night those same sites are empty.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• They're hiding from you...
      I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

• Originally posted by Spudly View Post
        They're hiding from you...
        Must be. LOL

Comment

• Why is Transed delaying on the girders for the LRT at Davies Station? Also, time is running out getting the track done before winter.
          "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Over the years whenever something would cause me to be behind or the customer didn’t understand something and started to complain I would say “does that mean I’m fired?” They would say no, continue on please. lol. I always had a lot of jobs and projects and seldom had any problems though, but sometimes it just takes longer than expected. It will be done when it’s finished.
            Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

• Taken: September 7, 2019

Wagner station area
              by Paul Smolik, on Flickr

Wagner station area

Wagner station area

Wagner station area

Wagner station area

Wagner station area

Comment

• Nice pics!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drumbones View Post
                  Over the years whenever something would cause me to be behind or the customer didn’t understand something and started to complain I would say “does that mean I’m fired?” They would say no, continue on please. lol. I always had a lot of jobs and projects and seldom had any problems though, but sometimes it just takes longer than expected. It will be done when it’s finished.
                  Its not as if this is the only major project to be behind schedule. Cross rail in London was supposed to open last December but will not be done until at least mid year next. When was Ottawa’s supposed to open ? November 2018. Will open this month. Yes everyone is disappointed but it is not the end of the world. 5 years from now no one will remember.
                  “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

• Yep, the Walterdale Bridge delays are certainly forgotten now. The Valley Line LRT delays may be forgotten as well, assuming there's no debacles down the line (knocks on wood).
                    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Vancouver's Skytrain line; Designed for an LRT along with seismic considerations:

Arum and Krupp's design with monstrosity structural members on the new Edmonton line for a tram and in a relatively stable geological location:

Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
                      Taken: September 7, 2019

Wagner station area
                      Wonder why we're behind. The rebar details are even more astounding if you could see it being done...

Comment

• I imagine that much of the line is built on rock, whereas Edmonton has to go deeper to reach bedrock.

Comment

• Complete opposite actually...the skytrain through Richmond Delta is all silt foundation. That city will liquefy in a big earthquake event. It's partly why there are so few towers in Richmond beyond 20 stories.

And none of these things require going down to bedrock. It is cost prohibitive going that deep. There are other forms of piling which don't need to be bedrock "end-bearing".
                          Most of our downtown skyscrapers dont even have bedrock supports. Someone correct me, but to my knowledge, the only tower is Stantec...

Anyhow, every time I drive past 75th street or 98th avenue and see the elevated portions, I keep thinking they're building for a high speed rail in Japan, when it fact we're getting a little tram on the prairies.

Comment

• Originally posted by B.ike View Post
                            ...Anyhow, every time I drive past 75th street or 98th avenue and see the elevated portions, I keep thinking they're building for a high speed rail in Japan, when it fact we're getting a little tram on the prairies.

Nice.

Comment

• ^^ ^^^^

i think you're expecting the design to only reflect what is travelling on it (even though there is relatively little difference between the respective train/tram cars)

firstly, almost the entire supported weight and loads in both cases is the structure itself, not the train/tram cars.

and secondly, while the design loads for earthquake may be lower in edmonton, edmonton's design loads for snow and ice and for wind are higher.

as for the lack of taller towers in richmond, it's probably less to do with earthquake than it is a water table that is only 18" deep which precludes underground parking forcing an interesting balance between the provision of above grade parking and architecture...
                              "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• I'll give you that, the live loads from an LRT v. a tram could be considered the same. But I was more alluding to their operation requirements (which admittedly, I don't know much about).
                                But your first point reinforces my point that this was over-designed. Whole thing looks like it was designed just to carry it's own dead load.

As for your second, look at Montreal's REM extension. Their elevated portions are similar to the skytrain line. I'd imagine the snow loads would be much higher in Montreal than Edmonton.

As for Richmond, another reason is most of the northwestern portion is dictated by the airport and transport Canada.

Comment

Working...
                                X